Department: Baseball Operations
Status: Regular Full-Time
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
The Arizona Diamondbacks are seeking an Analyst with a focus on Professional Player Personnel to join their Baseball Operations department. This position will work closely with Director and Executive levels of the front office on player evaluation both internally and externally in regards to potential trade and free agent targets. A model candidate will be able to leverage their analytical skills, a strong sense of creativity and their knowledge and passion for the game of baseball to provide innovative ideas throughout the Player Personnel decision making process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluation of players covering all 30 Major League organizations, the NPB, KBO, CPBL, MLB affiliated Caribbean leagues, and Independent Leagues.
- Create and maintain a systematic process for evaluating a large sample of players in a quick and efficient manner.
- Design and develop statistical models and tools that can be communicated effectively to a nontechnical audience.
- Generate ideas for player acquisitions, roster construction and contract decisions.
- Continuously explore interesting research questions in order to identify new trends in the game that will lead to competitive advantages.
- Proficiency in SQL as well as either R or Python is strongly preferred.
- Experience with data visualization is a plus.
- Ability to communicate ideas and opinions to all members of Baseball Operations.
- Experience with roster decisions, evaluation of professional players, and the free agent market within other ML front offices is desirable.
- An expert-level understanding and appetite for the game of baseball.
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now