Software Engineer – Baseball Operations – Detroit Tigers (Detroit · MI)
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Software Engineer. This role will be responsible for development and maintenance of software projects within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Sr. Software Engineer, Baseball Operations.
1. Perform general development and maintenance tasks for the upkeep of internally developed software products.
2. Use modern software techniques and best practices in all parts of the software life cycle.
3. Support the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
4. Assist with the design and development of new software products.
5. Other projects as directed by the Baseball Operations leadership team.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, similar technical field of study or equivalent real-time experience.
2. Demonstrated knowledge in developing in a Web-based object-oriented product environment.
3. Demonstrated knowledge in working with medium-to-large scale relational databases.
4. Ability to work in all phases of the product lifecycle, from requirements gathering to design, testing, and implementation.
5. Ability to learn new technologies and techniques as necessary.
6. Familiarity with the sport of baseball, baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Experience with data pipelines, data warehousing, or data engineering, especially using SQL Server
2. Experience developing web APIs using Java or C#/.NET
4. Experience with cloud services and/or container technologies
1. Office environment.
2. Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours may be required.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities or nonessential requirements. Detroit Tigers, Inc. has the right to change, modify, suspend, interrupt or cancel in whole or in part any job functions outlined in a job description at any time and without advance notice to the employee.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now