Job Title: Sports Science Analyst
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Coordinator, Sports Science
Primary Objective: Responsible for assisting in the design and development of sports science analytics and reporting. Will support the Baseball Operations Department through gathering and interpretation of sports science-related data, including statistical modeling, research, visualizations and other assigned projects, with the objective of designing evidence-based programs to support efforts to maximize player health and performance.
- Perform statistical modeling and analysis of a variety of data sources.
- Assist in developing proprietary data sets.
- Identify, extract and analyze data to support business decisions in Baseball Operations.
- Provide timely reports for management detailing sport science.
- Assist in the designing and development of sports science reporting.
- Manage reporting and analysis of all programs related to sports science, and provide timely reporting for management.
- Respond timely to ad-hoc requests and conduct quantitative research to support Baseball Operations personnel and other decision-makers.
- Uphold an extraordinary level of customer service to all internal and external clients.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, or other related field required. Equivalent, relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of formal education requirements, if approved by management.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working as an intern or analyst required.
- Proficient with predictive analytic/forecasting tools such as R and Python, and other business intelligence tools, and CRM software
- Fluency in R or Python required.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Strong technical skills in predictive modeling.
- Ability to apply technical skills and knowledge to produce original baseball research.
- Ability to analyze and understand data sets including pitch level data, hit vector data, and biomechanical data.
- Self-motivated with a high degree of integrity; takes personal responsibility for getting things done in a way that positively and professionally represents the organization.
- Strong customer focus; understands and responds to the needs of internal customers.
- Demonstrated initiative; thinks creatively and takes actions that create a positive outcome for the team.
- Shares and expresses thoughts in a clear and effective manner through verbal and written communication skills. Exhibits effective listening skills and builds positive relationships with all team members, vendors, and guests. Is diplomatic, tactful and professional in all forms of communications
- Understands and supports the team and is quick to volunteer to assist others. Others view most interactions as being positive with a willingness to achieve common goals. Effective in working with others to cooperatively solve problems. Workplace behavior is consistently respectful of others
- Takes personal responsibility for getting things done in a way that positively and professionally represents the organization
- Demonstrates through their actions and interactions with others a commitment to Mariner Purpose, Mission and Values
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Completes work assignments thoroughly and completely in an accurate manner, and prompt. Identifies and corrects errors. Is careful, alert and accurate, paying attention to details of the job
- Initiate and maintain actions to attain goals, regularly monitoring progress
- Approaches change positively and leads others through the change process with a focus on the positive outcomes for the business
- Handles sensitive and/or confidential information professionally, involving only those who need to be involved or informed.
- Must possess computer proficiency with MS Office 365 – including Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now