Job Title: Coordinator, Sports Science
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Manager, Athlete Care, with a dotted line reporting to Sr. Director, Analytics
Directly Supervises: Sports Science Analyst
Primary Objective: Responsible for the oversight, development and management of sports science programs and information, with the objective of designing evidence-based programs to support efforts to maximize player health and performance.
- Evaluate, design, and implement sports science programming for the organization.
- Collaborate and work closely with High Performance staff on athlete management and data collection protocols.
- Coordinate the collection, tracking and storage of all sport science information.
- Collaborate with Baseball Operations Analytics Department to track measurements and create models, as appropriate.
- Design and distribute actionable reports for use by players, coaches, and staff.
- Search for and vet all new technologies which might improve current sports science programming.
- Assist the Player Plan process by creating customized, individual suggestions for each of the Major League and Minor League players.
- Provide strong people leadership; implement strategies to effectively manage Team Members and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of department’s people resources.
- Train, evaluate performance, and foster growth and development of full time staff and Team Members, encouraging personal and professional development.
- Develop and implement department rules, policies, regulations, work methods and procedures as well as monitoring work activities and performance of department personnel.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer/data science, engineering, or other related field required. Equivalent, relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of formal education, if approved by management.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience with data analysis and predictive modeling required.
- Prior management experience is preferred.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Demonstrates through their actions and interactions with others a commitment to Mariner Purpose, Mission and Values.
- Must be a committed professional with a strong analytic focus.
- Ability to relate to athletes and generate program buy-in.
- Shall demonstrate the ability to be proactive, innovative and adaptive in promoting new ideas and concepts.
- Shall possess strong decision-making ability, including knowing when to make a unilateral decision and when to consult with the team or superiors.
- Shall incorporate strategic thinking, formulate and prioritize objectives, and implement plans consistent with the player and team’s interests.
- Exemplifies a collaborative approach in dealing with management, team members, and vendors.
- Must possess excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills. Must also be clear, organized, persuasive and inclusive.
- Acts in a manner that is fair and ethical.
- Must possess computer proficiency with MS Office 365 – including Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
Physical Activities and Working Conditions Necessary to Perform Essential Functions:
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now