Job Title: Baseball Research Fellow
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports To: Director, Baseball Research
Start Date: Start dates are flexible between January and August 2021.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until October 30th, 2020.
Position Summary: The Twins are looking for data scientists with a passion for baseball and baseball analysis. New research fellows will work with a variety of data sources to generate insight and have the ability to impact front office decision making, player development, domestic and international scouting.
- Develop tools and analysis to support baseball operations
- Build and evaluate statistical models
- Collaborate with data scientists, player development staff, coaches and coordinators and other members of baseball operations
Bachelor’s degree in statistics, mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, economics, or other STEM fields related to data science are preferred. Relevant work experience in a data science role will also be considered.
- Proficiency with one or more numerical computing languages (R, Python, Matlab)
- Deep understanding of statistical fundamentals and ability to apply generate and validate statistical models
- Love of baseball and desire to learn
- Familiarity with R
- Experience with programmatic visualization (ggplot or equivalent)
- Proficiency with SQL
- Experience with agile software development, dev ops and/or version control
- Experience with baseball data
The Minnesota Twins is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now