Department: Baseball Operations, Research and Development
Supervisor: Assistant General Manager
The Houston Astros are seeking a Director for the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The Director will lead a cross-functional agile team to conduct research and develop methods that encourage the effective understanding and application of information throughout Baseball Operations, and work closely with other functional areas to support their needs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Communicate closely with front office, coaching and scouting personnel in the gathering and application of baseball information
• Research, develop and test mathematical, statistical and predictive models to support Baseball Operations in player evaluation, roster construction and game tactics
• Conduct research to improve the organization’s understanding of the game of baseball
• Prepare and explore a variety of baseball data sets and construct workflows to utilize this data
• Evaluate and lead implementation of advanced technologies
• Communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences using data visualization and reports
• Guide the application of innovative techniques to solve new problems through combining abstract ideas and real-world context
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in statistics, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, operations research or similar field; Advanced degree preferred
• 5+ years’ experience in a data science or analytics role
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Demonstrated work ethic, passion for baseball, and strong baseball knowledge, including familiarity with current baseball research and analysis
• Fluency with at least one scripting language such as R or Python
• Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
• Experience in managing a cross-functional team of analysts and software developers
• Experience in project management using agile principles (Scrum/Kanban/etc.)
This position is responsible for managing employees within the department.
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is a largely sedentary role whereas specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and talk or hear.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Rare travel may be expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
… and tell them your friends at Baseball Prospectus sent you!
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now