Our friends with the Detroit Tigers are looking for a full-time Sr. Software Engineer and three (3) paid interns!
Links to full job descriptions (with application link):
Sr. Software Engineer (full-time)
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer. This role will be responsible for development and maintenance of software projects within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Sr. Director, Baseball Analytics & Operations.
- Perform general development and maintenance tasks for the upkeep of internally developed software products.
- Use modern software techniques and best practices in all parts of the software life cycle.
- Supervise, provide feedback, and guide project work conducted by external consultants.
- Manage the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Provide coverage for the maintenance of software tools for other developers as situations arise.
- Assist with the design and development of new software products.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, and algorithms.
- Meet with vendors and make recommendations for investment in new data and technology resources.
- Other projects as directed the Baseball Operations leadership team.
Major League Video Operations Intern
- Use STATS program to provide video analysis to coaches and players
- Utilize proprietary systems to create scouting reports
- Prepare video hardware and scouting reports for team road trips
- Record games for team database
- Various other tasks within the Major League clubhouse and video room
Minor League Video Operations Intern
- Utilization of STATS software to chart, upload and download game information.
- Act as main video personnel for both Gulf Coast League teams.
- Assist in day-to-day video operations during Spring Training.
- Daily management of data collected from various affiliates throughout the Minor League season.
- Preparation of advance scouting documentation prior to each series.
- Assist scouting staff with video needs from local and televised games and workouts.
- Recording of any on-field activity as requested by Tigers staff.
- Assist with importing, cleaning, and preparing of baseball datasets.
- Assist with the design, development, testing and support of proprietary data collection and decision-support systems
- Design ad hoc SQL queries.
- Assist with statistical modeling of baseball data.
- Execute exploratory research and analysis as directed.
- Review public research on a regular basis.
- Provide support for important events such as the Rule 4 Draft, the trade deadline, contract negotiations and salary arbitration.
- Support Baseball Operations, Scouting and Player Development with ad hoc requests.
- Other duties as assigned by members of the Baseball Operations Department.
Be sure to tell them Baseball Prospectus sent you!
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now