The Houston Astros are currently seeking an Amateur Scouting Analyst in the Player Acquisition Department. This newly-created position will support the efforts of the domestic and international scouting departments by providing comprehensive evaluation of players based on numerous information streams. The Analyst will also work closely with the Research & Development department. This position will be in Houston, Texas.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Produce written and verbal player evaluations utilizing video, scouting information, and technology to enhance the player acquisition decision-making process.
- Collect, organize, and analyze player data to streamline evaluation across player markets
- Interact regularly with field scouts and members of the baseball community
- Assist with database maintenance
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Basic Requirements / Qualifications:
- Strong baseball knowledge
- Capacity to combine information from multiple data sources to solve problems
- Ability to convey complex findings in a concise, articulate manner to a decision-making audience
- Proficiency with SQL and SQL databases preferred
- High proficiency with Microsoft Excel preferred
- High level of attention to detail
- Capacity to use time efficiently and work nights and weekends
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Experience / Education
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 2+ years work experience in a related field
- Relevant baseball experience
Note: This position was originally posted on the Houston Astros employment site. To ensure that your application is considered for this position, please click here to apply for this job on the Houston Astros employment site.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now