The Kansas City Royals are looking to add a creative and hard-working Intern to the Baseball Analytics Department. The Intern will work closely with Baseball Analytics to conduct research and develop tools for use by all areas of Baseball Operations (Amateur/Pro Scouting, Advance Scouting, and Player Development). The position will run from February 2016 through the end of the 2016 MLB baseball season.
- Work with amateur and professional baseball staff to provide the most relevant statistical support.
- Develop predictive models to assist Baseball Operations in player evaluation.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball data in order to aid in Baseball Operations decision making.
- Monitor latest statistical and baseball research in order to implement the most cutting edge techniques.
- Conduct research on several new types of data to uncover actionable baseball knowledge.
- Work to understand and improve existing information systems.
- Create visualizations to both explore raw data and communicate internal tools throughout Baseball Operations.
- Ad-hoc reports or small studies that come up during the year based on circumstance.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in mathematics, physics, statistics, or related quantitative field. Specialized training, certifications, or published research are a plus.
- Up to date knowledge of statistical analysis techniques, machine learning models, simulation of models and experience with experimental design.
- Experience manipulating (through database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server) and analyzing large data sets.
- Knowledge of baseball and baseball data (Trackman, Statcast, other high frequency data sets) is highly preferred.
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours during the baseball season is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of work materials and issues as appropriate.
- Proficiency with the following tools and/or software:
- R, MATLAB, STATA, Minitab, or similar – required
- SQL or MySQL – required
- Python, C++, or similar – preferred
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes or No. Do you have a degree or equivalent experience in mathematics, physics, statistics or a related quantitative field?
2. Yes or No. Do you have knowledge of statistical analysis techniques, machine learning models, simulation of models and experience with experimental design?
3. Yes or No. Do you have experience manipulating (through database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server) and analyzing large data sets?
4. Yes or No. Are you able to work evenings, weekends and holidays?
5. Yes or No. Are you proficient with R, MATLAB, STATA, Minitab or similar?
6. Yes or No. Are you proficient with SQL or MySQL?
7. Yes or No. Are you proficient with Python, C++ or similar?
Reposted here with permission from the original link