Applications Programmer, Baseball Systems
Manager of Business Systems and Manager of Major League Administration and Baseball Research
This position offers wide-ranging exposure to current programming models and methods in a fast-paced Agile environment. As a member of the front office, collaborate with the Baseball Operations staff to develop, deliver, and maintain data driven solutions for player evaluation, player development, and statistical analytics. Ideally, the candidate will be a core .Net applications programmer with experience focused on SQL Server data integration and back-end API services to consume and present new perspectives on an evolving set of interesting sources of data. Strong communication and interpersonal skills will enable the candidate to enjoy direct relationships with product users.
· Analyze, develop, and maintain strategic web/desktop applications and other systems that advance the needs and goals of Baseball Operations.
· Collaborate with key members of Scouting and Player Development to build and improve custom applications that are aligned with user intuition.
· Review existing data structure and define any necessary changes or architectural additions to produce efficient and intuitive data structures.
· Design and develop procedures to calculate advanced player statistics and manage player evaluations, rankings, and other information into an integrated system.
· Perform advanced statistical analysis on large sets of baseball data to help in the decision making process of the Baseball Operations Department.
· Assist Manager of Major League Administration and Baseball Research in identifying technologies and data sources that offer value to the Baseball Operations Department.
· Provide baseball technology systems instruction through clear and concise documentation and direct user inaction.
· Perform formal project management to organize efforts against timelines.
· Provide courteous and timely first-level contact and problem resolution for all Baseball Department users with application issues.
· Proactively contribute to the overall technology vision of the organization.
· Cross train with Technology Department members to support peripheral technologies, rotate on-call needs, and to be cognizant of underlying infrastructure.
· Perform miscellaneous duties to balance the Technology Department’s work load.
· Share game and event support duties with other individuals within the Technology Department.
· 4 Year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
· Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server, SSIS, LINQ, Entity Framework, and SQL database tools.
· Experience with developing solutions that consider massive quantities of data.
· Experience with Sabermetric player evaluation techniques and concepts.
· Experience with Pitch f/x, play-by-play, and/or TrackMan data sets.
· Proficient with Visual Studio.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft IIS.
· Experience with SharePoint is an added plus.
· Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of Baseball Operations.
· Strong time and project management skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong ability to collaborate as a team member and also contribute independently.
· Strong ability to coordinate multiple duties simultaneously.
· Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to move throughout all areas and levels of the ballpark.
· Seasonally able to work occasional nights and weekends.
Qualified applicants can apply at www.twinsbaseball.com, under "Job Opportunities" at the bottom of the home page.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now