We hope you enjoyed Kershaw day, and if you haven't, there are 13 swell articles for you still to enjoy here. Now, I've thought a lot about Clayton Kershaw fun facts in the past week, and I think I've finally settled on my favorite:
The seven relief pitchers who are in or likely to be in the Hall of Fame, along with their stats as relievers:
- Goose Gossage (1,556 innings): 2.77 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 3.57 FRA
- Rollie Fingers (1,505 innings): 2.73 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 3.39 FRA
- Dennis Eckersley (807 innings): 2.85 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 3.16 FRA
- Bruce Sutter (1,042 innings): 2.83 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 4.04 FRA
- Hoyt Wilhelm (1,871 innings): 2.49 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 3.55 FRA
- Mariano Rivera (1,233 innings): 2.06 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 3.16 FRA
- Trevor Hoffman (1,089 innings): 2.87 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 3.29 FRA
- Average: 2.66 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 3.45 FRA
Now Kershaw, as a starter: 1,375 innings, 2.49 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 3.18 FRA.
Clayton Kershaw, as a starter, is more unhittable in seven innings than a Hall of Fame closer is in one. That's my favorite Clayton Kershaw fun fact.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now