Minnesota Twins Developer, Baseball Systems
JOB FUNCTION: As a member of the front office, collaborate with the Baseball Operations staff to develop, deliver, and maintain data driven solutions for analytics and architecture of player information and evaluation systems. This position requires strong statistical, software development, and database management skills.
REPORTS TO: VP, Technology & Manager of Major League Administration & Baseball Research
Work with Baseball Operations, Scouting, and Minor League staff to maintain and expand upon the existing player information and evaluation systems.
Use an iterative software development approach for quick roll-outs combined with incremental improvement process to existing systems and environments.
Review existing data structure and define any necessary changes or additions to that architecture to produce efficient and intuitive data structures.
Integrate multimedia and data from outside providers into data architecture and player information system.
Design and develop procedures to calculate advanced player statistics and manage player evaluations, rankings, and other information into an integrated system.
Continually work with Baseball Operations staff to identify features and areas of improvement within the player information system to facilitate a user-friendly research tool.
Create standardized reports through the use of graphs, charts, text, etc. to be consumed by Baseball Operations staff.
Perform advanced statistical analysis on large sets of baseball data to help in the decision making process of the Baseball Operations Department.
Assist Manager of Major League Administration & Baseball Research in identifying technologies and data sources that offer value to the Baseball Operations department.
Communicate results to appropriate staff members through presentations, written reports, and tools.
Be a liaison between the Minnesota Twins Baseball Operations Department and the Office of the Commissioner and MLBAM in regards to baseball-related technologies.
- 4 Year Bachelor’s degree in Technology.
- Experience with basic front-end user experience design.
- Proficient with Microsoft SQL Database management and schema design.
- Experience with developing solutions that consider massive quantities of data.
- Proficient with Visual Studio.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft IIS.
- Experience with Sabermetric player evaluation techniques and concepts.
- Experience with Pitch f/x, play-by-play, and/or TrackMan data sets.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all aspects of Baseball Operations, Scouting, and Player Development staff, and understand their job functions and subsequent software needs.
- Ability to lift and transport items up to 55 lbs.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to relocate to the Twins Cities area.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now