Probable Pitchers for June 28, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Mets OF Marlon Byrd went 2-for-4 and hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner pitched six innings and allowed two runs — one earned.
- Rockies SP Tyler Chatwood pitched six innings and allowed one run in a no-decision.
- Rockies RP Matt Belisle took his fifth loss after giving up a two-run homer to Marlon Byrd in the eighth inning.
- Dodgers OF Matt Kemp went 2-for-4 with a double, two stolen bases, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Dodgers OF Yasiel Puig hit a two-run single in the seventh inning.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley went 3-for-5 with a double, a homer and two RBI.
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke was a fortunate winner after yielding four runs on 12 hits over seven innings.
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone gave up three runs in six innings in a no-decision.
- Diamondbacks SP Patrick Corbin allowed two runs over seven innings.
- Diamondbacks RP Heath Bell converted his 14th save of the season with a scoreless 11th inning.
- Mationals SP Stephen Strasburg picked up a no-decision in an extra-innings loss, allowing two runs over seven frames.
- Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill launched a two-run homer.
- Nationals SS Ian Desmond belted a two-run homer.
- Red Sox RP Koji Uehara notched his second save in two days.
- Blue Jays SP Chien-Ming Wang was pounded for seven runs in 1 2/3 innings.
- Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia hit his fifth homer Thursday against the Blue Jays.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez struck out a season-high nine while allowing three runs in 6 2/3 innings.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber was tagged for seven runs — six earned — in 4 2/3 innings.
- Orioles 2B Ryan Flaherty went 2-for-3 and knocked in a pair of runs.
- Indians 3B Lonnie Chisenhall went 3-for-4 with a homer and a double.
- Angels DH Albert Pujols delivered a go-ahead RBI double.
- Angels SP Jered Weaver spun seven innings of one-run ball in a no-decision.
- Tigers SP Doug Fister allowed one run in seven innings, but was handed a no-decision.
- Angels OF Mike Trout went 4-for-5 with a run scored in an extra-inning win.
- Tigers C Brayan Pena went 2-for-4 with an RBI single.
- Nationals sent RHP Ryan Perry outright to Double-A Harrisburg.
- Phillies sent C Steven Lerud outright to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies acquired INF John McDonald from the Indians for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
- Rockies signed RHP Miguel Batista to a minor league contract, assigned him to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Diamondbacks have promoted RHP Jake Barrett to Double-A Mobile.
- Giants released RHP Boof Bonser.
- Orioles SP Freddy Garcia officially accepted an assignment to Triple-A Norfolk on Thursday afternoon.
- Indians activated RHP Chris Perez from the 15-day disabled list.
- Indians optioned LHP T.J. House to Triple-A Columbus.
- Angels placed RHP Tommy Hanson on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm injury.
- Angels recalled LHP Michael Roth from Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Astros sent RHP Ross Seaton outright to Double-A Corpus Christi.
- Astros sent LHP Wade LeBlanc outright to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Tigers sent RHP Jose Valverde outright to Triple-A Toledo.
- Blue Jays recalled INF Munenori Kawasaki from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays placed OF Melky Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list with left knee tendinitis.
- Orioles promoted prospect OF Henry Urrutia to Triple-A Norfolk on Thursday.
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez (shoulder) is expected to return Friday.
- According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, Brewers 1B Corey Hart (knee) is unlikely to play at all during the 2013 season.
- Diamondbacks 2B Willie Bloomquist told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Thursday that his hand is "not good."
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) was resigned to playing catch on flat ground on Wednesday afternoon.
- Cubs OF Jorge Soler has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left tibia and could be done for the year.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper (knee) is scheduled to play a full nine innings on Thursday night at Double-A Harrisburg.
- Marlins prospect OF Christian Yelich (abdomen) played in his first minor league rehab game Wednesday.
- X-rays taken late Wednesday night on Marlins C Jeff Mathis' left hand ruled out any sort of fracture.
- Giants SP Ryan Vogelsong has been cleared to ditch the protective splint from his surgically-repaired right hand.
- Cubs president Theo Epstein said Thursday that he believes OF Jorge Soler (leg) will return before the end of the minor league season.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) resumed his minor league rehab assignment Wednesday and went 1-for-2 with two RBI.
- Phillies RP Mike Adams will not undergo shoulder surgery to repair two tears in his right labrum and one in his rotator cuff.
- Mets prospect RHP Michael Fulmer recorded six strikeouts over six shutout innings for the team's Gulf Coast League affiliate on Tuesday.
- The Padres don't consider 2B Jedd Gyorko's setback major, but he could meet the team in Miami this weekend to be examined by the training staff.
- Dodgers SP Josh Beckett (arm) began playing catch on Wednesday.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki (rib) has begun light throwing.
- Orioles 2B Brian Roberts (hamstring) will be activated from the disabled list for this weekend's series against the Yankees.
- An MRI taken Thursday on Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz' right shoulder showed inflammation of the bursa sac.
- Yankees SS Derek Jeter ran outdoors Thursday for the first time since the second fracture was discovered in his left ankle.
- Rays SP David Price threw five shutout innings Wednesday in his second rehab start with High-A Charlotte.
- Tigers SP Anibal Sanchez (shoulder) is expected to make a minor league rehab start on Monday at High-A Lakeland.
- According to George A. King III of the New York Post, 3B Alex Rodriguez informed the Yankees on Wednesday that he isn't ready to begin a minor league rehab assignment because his surgically-repaired hip "isn’t up to the task."
- Rays RP Brandon Gomes (lat) could rejoin the Rays on Monday.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold (hamstring) will likely be activated from the disabled list next week.
- Angels SP Tommy Hanson (forearm) will not throw for seven days.
- Mariners SP Danny Hultzen performed well for Triple-A Tacoma in his first start since returning from the disabled list, allowing just two hits over six scoreless innings.
- Orioles 2B Brian Roberts (hamstring) likely won't be activated from the disabled list until Sunday.
- Orioles SP Dylan Bundy underwent successful Tommy John surgery on Thursday.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester left Thursday's start against the Blue Jays in the eighth inning with a jammed right hip.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly (neck) could begin a rehab assignment this weekend.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Thursday that OF Carl Crawford (hamstring) is "getting closer to going out on a rehab assignment."
- Indians SP Scott Kazmir (back) is expected to be fine for his next scheduled start.
Notes and Rumors:
- Nationals SP Taylor Jordan will be called up to make his major league debut on Saturday afternoon against the Mets.
- Cubs OF Albert Almora has been terrorizing the pitching in the Midwest League through his first 28 games, hitting .356/.381/.508 with a pair of homers, 14 RBI and three swipes.
- Pirates OF Gregory Polanco has continued to thrive since his promotion to Double-A Altoona, hitting .313/.371/.500 with a homer, six RBI and three stolen bases in his first eight games.
- Phillies 3B Maikel Franco is batting .500/.514/.912 with 17 hits, three home runs and eight RBI through his first eight games for Double-A Reading.
- Pirates SP Jameson Taillon has been pitching well while biding his time at Double-A Altoona, posting a 2.93 ERA and 80/31 K/BB ratio through 76 2/3 innings in his first six starts.
- The Rockies will recall SP Drew Pomeranz from Triple-A Colorado Springs to start on Sunday against the Giants.
- Mets manager Terry Collins said Thursday that SS Ruben Tejada (quad) has "got to go earn" the shortstop job back from Omar Quintanilla.
- FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Padres and Giants are the Dodgers' chief competitors for Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco.
- Indians SP Carlos Carrasco will start the second half of Friday's doubleheader against the White Sox.
- The Mariners will call up shortstop prospect Brad Miller prior to Friday's game, according to the Tacoma News Tribune's Ryan Divish.
- Rays SP Taylor Guerrieri has been pitching very well through his first 12 starts with Class-A Bowling Green, posting a 5-2 record, 2.29 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 47/11 K/BB ratio through 59 innings.
- Orioles RP T.J. McFarland will start on Friday against the Yankees.
- Orioles 3B Manny Machado was ejected from Thursday's game against the Indians in the fifth inning for arguing with home plate umpire Will Little.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now