Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for June 17, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(28-40) Brewers – 1 at 5 – Reds (42-28)
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez hit his 12th home run of the season.
- Reds RP Alfredo Simon earned a three-inning save — his first of the season.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto allowed just one run in six innings.
(29-39) Dodgers – 3 at 6 – Pirates (41-28)
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke allowed five runs over 5 innings in the loss.
- Pirates SP Gerrit Cole picked up his second win of the year going 5.2 innings allowing 3 runs and 7 hits.
- Pirates got homers from 3B Pedro Alvarez and OF Alex Presley.
(28-39) Cubs – 3 at 4 – Mets (25-39)
- Mets OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis drilled a long, walk-off three-run homer versus Carlos Marmol.
- Cubs RP Carlos Marmol had another Marmol meltdown, yielding four runs while recording just one out.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza spun seven shutout innings but was dealt a no-decision.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner gave up three runs — one earned — over five frames.
(37-32) Diamondbacks – 1 at 4 – Padres (35-34)
- Padres OF Kyle Blanks hit a tiebreaking three-run home run in the eighth inning.
- Padres SP Clayton Richard allowed just one run on seven hits over eight innings.
- Diamondbacks SP Ian Kennedy allowed one run on four hits over six innings in a no-decision.
(44-25) Cardinals – 2 at 7 – Marlins (21-47)
- Marlins 3B Placido Polanco went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Cardinals SP Tyler Lyons was knocked around for six runs on eight hits and three walks over just 5 1/3 frames.
- Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco tossed seven innings of one-run ball.
(35-33) Giants – 0 at 3 – Braves (41-28)
- Braves SP Julio Teheran threw six scoreless innings.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton went 1-for-4 with a double.
- Giants SP Tim Lincecum allowed three runs (two earned) and five walks over six innings in his start.
(33-37) Phillies – 2 at 5 – Rockies (37-33)
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin allowed two runs on six hits over 8 2/3 innings.
- Phillies SP Cole Hamels gave up three runs on six hits over seven innings in his start.
- Rockies RP Rex Brothers picked up his 3rd save of the year.
- Rockies got homers from C Wilin Rosario and OF Carlos Gonzalez.
(42-29) Red Sox – 3 at 6 – Orioles (40-30)
- Orioles 1B Chris Davis finished 2-for-4 with a homer and three RBI.
- Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks hit a three-run homer.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester surrendered five earned runs over five innings.
(33-34) Royals – 5 at 3 – Rays (36-33)
- Royals RP Greg Holland earned his 14th save of the season.
- Royals SP Wade Davis picked up a win versus his former team allowing just 2 runs over 6 innings.
- Rays SP Roberto Hernandez allowed 4 runs over 5.2 innings in the loss.
- Royals OF Jeff Francouer hit just his 3rd homer of the year.
- Rays C Jose Lobaton launched his 4th bomb of the season.
(32-36) Blue Jays – 6 at 1 – Rangers (38-31)
- Blue Jays 1B Adam Lind went 3-for-4 with a home run.
- Blue Jays SP Chien-Ming Wang threw seven scoreless innings.
- Rangers SP Derek Holland gave up four runs on 10 hits over six innings.
(38-31) Yankees – 6 at 5 – Angels (30-39)
- Yankees SP CC Sabathia allowed two runs on five hits over eight innings.
- Yankees DH Travis Hafner went 1-for-3 with a home run.
- Angels SP Jered Weaver allowed five runs on seven hits over six innings.
(38-29) Tigers – 5 at 2 – Twins (30-36)
- Tigers RP Joaquin Benoit earned his fourth save of the season.
- Tigers OF Torii Hunter hit his 3rd homer of the year.
- Tigers SP Doug Fister picked up his 6th win of the year allowing just 2 runs over 7.2 innings.
- Twins SP P.J. Walters gave up four runs in 5.1 innings for the win.
(28-38) White Sox – 4 at 5 – Astros (26-44)
- White Sox OF Alejandro De Aza homered and tripled.
- Astros C Jason Castro launched his 10th home run of the season in the Astros' defeat of the White Sox on Sunday.
- Astros RP Jose Veras picked up his 14th save of the year.
(31-39) Mariners – 2 at 10 – Athletics (42-29)
- Athletics SP Bartolo Colon picked up his ninth win of the season in his start allowing two runs on eight hits and three strikeouts.
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma struggled in his start, allowing four runs on eight hits over five innings.
- Athletics OF Josh Reddick went 4-for-5 with a homer.
- Athletics got 2 hits each from Yoenis Cespedes, Brandon Moss, Josh Donaldson, Seth Smith and Eric Sogard.
(34-34) Nationals – 0 at 2 – Indians (34-34)
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg allowed one run on one hit and four walks over five innings but suffered the loss in his return from the disabled list.
- Indians RP Vinnie Pestano recorded his first save of the season, tossing a scoreless inning.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber struck out eight and was scoreless over eight innings.
- Rockies purchased the contract of RHP Logan Kensing from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies optioned RHP Chris Volstad to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Reds optioned RHP Pedro Villarreal to Triple-A Louisville.
- Reds activated RHP Johnny Cueto from the 15-day disabled list.
- Nationals optioned LHP Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals activated RHP Stephen Strasburg from the 15-day disabled list.
- Brewers recalled OF Caleb Gindl from Triple-A Nashville.
- Cubs sent RHP Eduardo Sanchez outright to Triple-A Iowa.
- Angels signed RHP Mike Ekstrom to a minor league contract, assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- The Astros are promoting top prospect 1B Jonathan Singleton to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Rays recalled RHP Josh Lueke from Triple-A Durham.
- Rays placed RHP Alex Cobb on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion.
- Red Sox purchased the contract of RHP Pedro Beato from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Rubby De La Rosa to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Rays optioned INF Ryan Roberts to Triple-A Durham.
- Rays purchased the contract of OF Wil Myers from Triple-A Durham.
- The Yankees have SP promoted Rafael DePaula to High-A Tampa.
- SP Wandy Rodriguez (forearm) will throw another bullpen session before the Pirates determine whether he's ready to begin a rehab assignment.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said OF Bryce Harper had "a little puffiness" in his left knee after doing some range of motion exercises on Saturday.
- Giants 2B Marco Scutaro (thumb) took batting practice prior to Saturday's game.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) will resume a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville on Monday.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley (oblique) took batting practice on Friday and Saturday with no issues.
- Brewers RP Michael Fiers will be sidelined for the next 9-12 weeks after a comebacker during Saturday's start at Triple-A Nashville broke his right forearm.
- Reds RP Sean Marshall (shoulder) hopes to begin long-tossing in the next day or so.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) could make another rehab start after being knocked around for five runs — three earned — while walking five over 4 2/3 frames his last time out.
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun (thumb) will be shut down from baseball activities for at least the next week.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) played in a simulated game on Saturday.
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) will throw on flat ground Monday.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison (back) is expected to return to the lineup Monday.
- CSN Bay Area reports that Giants OF Angel Pagan (hamstring) received a platelet-rich plasma injection last week.
- The Union-Tribune San Diego reports Padres OF Carlos Quentin (shoulder) could be placed on the disabled list.
- Padres SS Everth Cabrera is dealing with a left hamstring injury.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment at Double-A Frisco on Monday.
- An MRI on Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira's right wrist showed only inflammation.
- Rangers OF Jeff Baker was given a cortisone shot in his ailing right thumb on Saturday.
- Indians 1B Nick Swisher's nagging left shoulder injury could force him to the disabled list.
- Orioles 2B Jonathan Schoop (back) has begun throwing and jogging in the pool.
- Orioles SP Dylan Bundy (elbow) will expand his long-tossing to 90 feet on Monday.
- Rays RP Juan Carlos Oviedo (elbow) threw a bullpen session on Sunday.
- Rays RP Brandon Gomes (lat) expects to begin a rehab assignment on June 24.
- Rays SP David Price (triceps) is slated to throw a bullpen session on Tuesday.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) will be released from the hospital on Sunday.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez (hip) ran the bases at 75 percent effort on Saturday.
- Twins OF Wilkin Ramirez (concussion) will begin a rehab assignment in about a week if his workouts at the Twins' spring training complex go well.
- Blue Jays SP J.A. Happ (head) threw a bullpen session last week.
- Red Sox OF Mike Carp left Sunday's game with right hamstring tightness.
- Tigers C Alex Avila (forearm) is not expected to be in Monday's lineup.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel (illness) could start Tuesday against the Tigers.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said 1B Mike Napoli (illness) could return to the lineup Tuesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Brewers OF Norichika Aoki will be placed on the paternity leave list sometime this week in order to be with his wife as she gives birth to their son.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said OF Yasiel Puig will probably remain in the majors after Matt Kemp (hamstring) and Carl Crawford (hamstring) return.
- Pirates SP Brandon Cumpton will remain in the Pirates' rotation for a start on Thursday in Cincinnati.
- Braves RP Alex Wood is expected to make his first major league start during Tuesday's doubleheader against the Mets.
- Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez expects C Evan Gattis to make back-to-back starts during their upcoming five-game series with the Mets.
- Angels SP Joe Blanton will start for the Angels on Tuesday against the Mariners.
- Red Sox SP Alfredo Aceves will start one of the games during Tuesday's doubleheader against the Rays.
- Orioles SP Jake Arrieta will start Monday against the Tigers.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now