Probable Pitchers for June 17, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Mets OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis drilled a long, walk-off three-run homer versus Carlos Marmol.
- Cubs RP Carlos Marmol had another Marmol meltdown, yielding four runs while recording just one out.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza spun seven shutout innings but was dealt a no-decision.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner gave up three runs — one earned — over five frames.
- Royals RP Greg Holland earned his 14th save of the season.
- Royals SP Wade Davis picked up a win versus his former team allowing just 2 runs over 6 innings.
- Rays SP Roberto Hernandez allowed 4 runs over 5.2 innings in the loss.
- Royals OF Jeff Francouer hit just his 3rd homer of the year.
- Rays C Jose Lobaton launched his 4th bomb of the season.
- Athletics SP Bartolo Colon picked up his ninth win of the season in his start allowing two runs on eight hits and three strikeouts.
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma struggled in his start, allowing four runs on eight hits over five innings.
- Athletics OF Josh Reddick went 4-for-5 with a homer.
- Athletics got 2 hits each from Yoenis Cespedes, Brandon Moss, Josh Donaldson, Seth Smith and Eric Sogard.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg allowed one run on one hit and four walks over five innings but suffered the loss in his return from the disabled list.
- Indians RP Vinnie Pestano recorded his first save of the season, tossing a scoreless inning.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber struck out eight and was scoreless over eight innings.
- Rockies purchased the contract of RHP Logan Kensing from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies optioned RHP Chris Volstad to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Reds optioned RHP Pedro Villarreal to Triple-A Louisville.
- Reds activated RHP Johnny Cueto from the 15-day disabled list.
- Nationals optioned LHP Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals activated RHP Stephen Strasburg from the 15-day disabled list.
- Brewers recalled OF Caleb Gindl from Triple-A Nashville.
- Cubs sent RHP Eduardo Sanchez outright to Triple-A Iowa.
- Angels signed RHP Mike Ekstrom to a minor league contract, assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- The Astros are promoting top prospect 1B Jonathan Singleton to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Rays recalled RHP Josh Lueke from Triple-A Durham.
- Rays placed RHP Alex Cobb on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion.
- Red Sox purchased the contract of RHP Pedro Beato from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Rubby De La Rosa to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Rays optioned INF Ryan Roberts to Triple-A Durham.
- Rays purchased the contract of OF Wil Myers from Triple-A Durham.
- The Yankees have SP promoted Rafael DePaula to High-A Tampa.
- SP Wandy Rodriguez (forearm) will throw another bullpen session before the Pirates determine whether he's ready to begin a rehab assignment.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said OF Bryce Harper had "a little puffiness" in his left knee after doing some range of motion exercises on Saturday.
- Giants 2B Marco Scutaro (thumb) took batting practice prior to Saturday's game.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) will resume a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville on Monday.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley (oblique) took batting practice on Friday and Saturday with no issues.
- Brewers RP Michael Fiers will be sidelined for the next 9-12 weeks after a comebacker during Saturday's start at Triple-A Nashville broke his right forearm.
- Reds RP Sean Marshall (shoulder) hopes to begin long-tossing in the next day or so.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) could make another rehab start after being knocked around for five runs — three earned — while walking five over 4 2/3 frames his last time out.
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun (thumb) will be shut down from baseball activities for at least the next week.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) played in a simulated game on Saturday.
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) will throw on flat ground Monday.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison (back) is expected to return to the lineup Monday.
- CSN Bay Area reports that Giants OF Angel Pagan (hamstring) received a platelet-rich plasma injection last week.
- The Union-Tribune San Diego reports Padres OF Carlos Quentin (shoulder) could be placed on the disabled list.
- Padres SS Everth Cabrera is dealing with a left hamstring injury.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment at Double-A Frisco on Monday.
- An MRI on Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira's right wrist showed only inflammation.
- Rangers OF Jeff Baker was given a cortisone shot in his ailing right thumb on Saturday.
- Indians 1B Nick Swisher's nagging left shoulder injury could force him to the disabled list.
- Orioles 2B Jonathan Schoop (back) has begun throwing and jogging in the pool.
- Orioles SP Dylan Bundy (elbow) will expand his long-tossing to 90 feet on Monday.
- Rays RP Juan Carlos Oviedo (elbow) threw a bullpen session on Sunday.
- Rays RP Brandon Gomes (lat) expects to begin a rehab assignment on June 24.
- Rays SP David Price (triceps) is slated to throw a bullpen session on Tuesday.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (concussion) will be released from the hospital on Sunday.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez (hip) ran the bases at 75 percent effort on Saturday.
- Twins OF Wilkin Ramirez (concussion) will begin a rehab assignment in about a week if his workouts at the Twins' spring training complex go well.
- Blue Jays SP J.A. Happ (head) threw a bullpen session last week.
- Red Sox OF Mike Carp left Sunday's game with right hamstring tightness.
- Tigers C Alex Avila (forearm) is not expected to be in Monday's lineup.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel (illness) could start Tuesday against the Tigers.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said 1B Mike Napoli (illness) could return to the lineup Tuesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Brewers OF Norichika Aoki will be placed on the paternity leave list sometime this week in order to be with his wife as she gives birth to their son.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said OF Yasiel Puig will probably remain in the majors after Matt Kemp (hamstring) and Carl Crawford (hamstring) return.
- Pirates SP Brandon Cumpton will remain in the Pirates' rotation for a start on Thursday in Cincinnati.
- Braves RP Alex Wood is expected to make his first major league start during Tuesday's doubleheader against the Mets.
- Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez expects C Evan Gattis to make back-to-back starts during their upcoming five-game series with the Mets.