Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(40-27) Reds – 5 at 6 – Cubs (26-38)
- Cubs OF Julio Borbon had walk-off pinch-hit single in the 14th.
- Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija was tagged for five runs in six innings in a no-decision.
- Reds SP Mat Latos gave up four runs in six innings in a no-decision.
- Back in the No. 2 spot for the first time since June 2, Cubs SS Starlin Castro went 3-for-7 with two runs scored and two stolen bases.
- Reds OF Jay Bruce went 4-for-7 with a run scored and a stolen base in an extra-inning loss.
- Cubs OF David DeJesus homered.
(34-31) Giants – 10 at 0 – Pirates (39-27)
- Giants SP Matt Cain allowed two hits over 6 2/3 innings and combined with three relievers on a shutout.
- Pirates SP Charlie Morton yielded four runs — two earned — in five innings in his 2013 debut.
- Giants OF Hunter Pence went 2-for-5 with a three-run homer off Mike Zagurski.
- Giants OF Gregor Blanco went 3-for-5 with a double, a steal and two runs scored.
(43-23) Cardinals – 2 at 1 – Mets (24-37)
- Cardinals SP Adam Wainwright notched his major-league leading 10th victory by tossing seven scoreless innings.
- Mets SP Matt Harvey suffered his first loss of the season after giving up one run in seven innings.
- Cardinals 2B Matt Carpenter went 2-for-4 with an RBI triple.
- Mets OF Marlon Byrd launched a solo homer.
(33-32) Nationals – 5 at 4 – Rockies (35-32)
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis struck out eight while allowing two runs over six innings.
- Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI double and a two-run homer.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler was serviceable in his return from the disabled list, allowing three runs over five frames.
- Nationals RP Rafael Soriano gave up a run on two hits but still nailed down his 17th save.
(41-27) Red Sox – 4 at 5 – Orioles (38-29) (13 Innings)
- Orioles RP T.J. McFarland earned his first career win by tossing a perfect 14th inning.
- Orioles DH Danny Valencia launched a solo homer and smacked a double.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz hit a home run, his 14th of the year.
- Red Sox SP Felix Doubront permitted four runs — three earned — on seven hits in 4 2/3 innings.
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury stole his 30th base of the season.
(31-33) Royals – 10 at 1 – Rays (35-31)
- Royals SP Ervin Santana allowed one unearned run over 7 2/3 innings to pick up a victory.
- Rays SP Jeremy Hellickson was pounded for eight runs in 5 2/3 innings.
- Royals 2B Elliot Johnson finished 3-for-4 with a three-run homer against his old team.
- Royals 1B Eric Hosmer hit his second homer of the year off Jake Odorizzi.
- Rays OF Kelly Johnson made his first career start at third base and went 0-for-2 with a walk.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
(29-36) Blue Jays – 3 at 1 – Rangers (38-28)
(37-29) Yankees – 2 at 3 – Athletics (41-27) (18 Innings)
- Athletics SP Jarrod Parker allowed two runs over eight frames.
- Yankees SP Hiroki Kuroda allowed two runs on just two hits and two walks over eight innings.
- Athletics 1B Nate Freiman delivered a walk-off RBI single against Mariano Rivera in the 18th inning.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis went 0-for-7 at the plate.
(32-35) Phillies – 3 at 2 – Twins (29-34)
- Phillies SP Cliff Lee allowed two runs on three hits over seven innings.
- Phillies OF Ben Revere stole the show against his former team, going 4-for-6 with a triple, two runs scored, and a steal.
- Twins 1B Justin Morneau hit a two-run double off Cliff Lee.
- Twins SP Kevin Correia hurled five innings of one-run ball as part of a no-decision.
- Twins 3B Jamey Carroll went 0-for-3.
- Pirates released RHP Jose Contreras.
- Pirates activated RHP Charlie Morton from the 60-day disabled list.
- Pirates placed RHP A.J. Burnett on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 9, with a strained right calf.
- The Pirates are promoting prospect outfielder Gregory Polanco to Double-A Altoona.
- Giants recalled RHP Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants recalled C Hector Sanchez from Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants optioned 1B Brett Pill to Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants designated RHP Ramon Ramirez for assignment.
- Phillies optioned RHP Tyler Cloyd to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies recalled LHP Jacob Diekman from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies recalled INF/OF Michael Martinez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Diamondbacks claimed RHP Nate Adcock off waivers from the Royals; optioned him to Triple-A Reno.
- Nationals activated LHP Ross Detwiler from the 15-day disabled list.
- Mets OF Rick Ankiel has elected to become a free agent.
- Mariners sent C Brandon Bantz outright to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Blue Jays sent INF Andy LaRoche outright to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Twins released RHP Anthony Slama.
- Indians signed LHP Clay Rapada to a minor league contract; assigned him to Triple-A Columbus.
- Red Sox recalled RHP Alex Wilson from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Angels sent INF Chris Nelson outright to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts has been promoted from Double-A Portland to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Twins signed RHP Cody Eppley to a minor league contract; assigned him to Triple-A Rochester.
- The Royals have promoted 3B Cheslor Cuthbert from High-A Wilmington to Double-A Northwest Arkansas.
- Orioles optioned RHP Kevin Gausman to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Rays activated RHP Alex Cobb from the bereavement list.
- Rays optioned RHP Jake Odorizzi to Triple-A Durham.
- Rangers RP Joakim Soria (elbow) will throw live batting practice on Friday.
- Rangers SP Colby Lewis (elbow) will throw off the front of a mound on Friday.
- Rangers SP Alexi Ogando (shoulder) will resume a throwing program on Friday.
- Rays manager Joe Maddon indicated that SP David Price (triceps) could return sooner than expected after an impressive showing in a 54-pitch simulated game Thursday.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy indicated that 2B Marco Scutaro (finger) is unlikely to play this weekend.
- Giants OF Angel Pagan (hamstring) did some jogging Thursday and also planned to take batting practice.
- Phillies C Carlos Ruiz (hamstring) said Thursday that he will begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies SP John Lannan (quad) will be activated from the disabled list to start next Monday against the Nationals.
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez has been diagnosed with a bruised left foot and is considered day-to-day.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg (lat) threw a pain-free bullpen session on Thursday afternoon at Coors Field.
- Nationals RP Jair Jurrjens (thumb) is scheduled to return to the rotation at Triple-A Norfolk this Friday.
- Mets RP Scott Atchison (elbow) is expected to rejoin the Mets' bullpen at some point this weekend.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin said Thursday that 1B Corey Hart (knee) might not be back until after the All-Star break.
- Marlins SP Henderson Alvarez (shoulder) is scheduled to make his first rehab start Thursday with High-A Jupiter.
- Marlins OF Chris Coghlan will be examined this Sunday in Texas by spine and back specialist Dr. Drew Dossett.
- Cardinals RP Fernando Salas (shoulder) could be cleared to resume throwing off a mound by early next week.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a broken rib on his right side.
- Pirates SP A.J. Burnett will not start Saturday against the Dodgers due to right calf pain.
- Pirates OF Jose Tabata (oblique) has been hitting off a tee and taking underhand toss.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler is day-to-day with a bruised knuckle on his right finger.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz (neck) is aiming to start Tuesday against the Rays.
- Rays SP David Price (triceps) said he felt great during a simulated game Thursday.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold (hamstring) could begin a minor league rehab assignment early next week.
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen (oblique) had no issues throwing off a half-mound on Thursday.
- Orioles SP Jair Jurrjens (thumb) is scheduled to return to the rotation at Triple-A Norfolk this Friday.
- Yankees SS Derek Jeter (ankle) was cleared to resume running and other baseball activities after a visit with Dr. Robert Anderson in Charlotte, North Carolina Thursday.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland (hamstring) will run the bases this weekend and could begin a rehab assignment on Monday.
- X-rays on Rangers OF Leonys Martin's left wrist came back clean.
- Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes (ankle) could begin a rehab assignment as soon as Monday.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson's next start has been pushed back from Saturday to Sunday due to a blister.
Notes and Rumors:
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester will start Sunday against the Orioles.
- Orioles 1B Travis Ishikawa plans to opt out of his minor league contract with the Orioles on Saturday.