Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(28-33) Padres – 9 at 10 – Rockies (33-29)
- Rockies 3B Nolan Arenado launched a walk-off solo homer.
- Rockies SP Jorge De La Rosa allowed four runs over five innings in a no-decision.
- Padres SP Edinson Volquez was tagged for a season-high nine runs over 2 1/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Padres OF Kyle Blanks went 3-for-5 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko went 4-for-5 with a solo home run and two runs scored.
(31-31) Phillies – 4 at 5 – Brewers (23-37)
(37-24) Braves – 1 at 2 – Dodgers (27-33) (10 innings)
- Thanks to a game-ending wild pitch, Dodgers RP Brandon League was credited with the victory.
- Looking strong in his return from a bruised foot, Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball in a no-decision.
- Dodgers OF Yasiel Puig hit his fourth homer and was intentionally walked for the first time.
(31-29) Giants – 1 at 3 – Diamondbacks (35-26)
(16-44) Marlins – at – Mets (23-33) (Postponed)
(36-25) Pirates – 2 at 0 – Cubs (24-34)
- Francisco Liriano spun seven shutout frames in Friday's 2-0 win over the Cubs.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli tossed a scoreless ninth inning for his major league-leading 23rd save of the season.
- Cubs SP Travis Wood yielded one run in six innings.
- Pirates C Russell Martin went 2-for-3 with an RBI double, a walk and a run scored.
- Cubs SS Starlin Castro went 0-for-3 with a walk in Friday's loss to the Pirates.
(40-21) Cardinals – 9 at 2 – Reds (36-25)
- Cardinals SP Adam Wainwright notched his ninth win over the season by allowing two runs in seven innings.
- Reds SP Mike Leake yielded three runs in five innings.
- Cardinals 3B David Freese went 2-for-3 with two RBI, two runs scored and a walk.
- Cardinals SS Pete Kozma went 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored.
- Reds OF Shin-Soo Choo had an RBI single and a walk.
(34-27) Orioles – 1 at 2 – Rays (32-28)-
(35-26) Yankees – 1 at 4 – Mariners (27-35)
(30-30) Indians – 5 at 7 – Tigers (33-26)-
- Tigers DH Victor Martinez homered for the second consecutive night.
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde, coming on in a non-save situation, allowed a pair of solo home runs.
- Tigers SP Justin Verlander turned in a quality start, allowing three runs on seven hits over his seven innings.
- Indians DH Jason Giambi blasted a solo homer off Jose Valverde.
- Indians SP Ubaldo Jimenez was knocked around, surrendering five runs (three earned) on seven hits in just three innings of work.
(36-24) Rangers – 1 at 6 – Blue Jays (26-34)
- Blue Jays OF Melky Cabrera had a huge night at the plate, going 3-for-4 with a homer, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Blue Jays RP Esmil Rogers pitched well in a spot start, allowing one run on three hits over his four innings of work.
- Rangers 2B Jurickson Profar singled and scored a run in the first inning.
- Rangers SP Nick Tepesch struggled, allowing six runs on five hits over his seven innings of work.
(26-34) Angels – at – Red Sox (37-24) (Postponed)
(38-25) Athletics – 4 at 3 – White Sox (25-34)
(22-40) Astros – 2 at 4 – Royals (26-32)
(26-31) Twins – at – Nationals (29-30) (Postponed)
- Reds recalled INF Henry Rodriguez from Triple-A Louisville.
- Reds optioned RHP Pedro Villarreal to Triple-A Louisville.
- Nationals claimed LHP Tyler Robertson off waivers from the Twins, assigned him to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Giants placed OF Angel Pagan on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 28, with a strained right hamstring.
- Mets released C Landon Powell.
- Giants recalled OF Juan Perez from Triple-A Fresno.
- Yankees released RHP Cody Eppley.
- Orioles recalled LHP Michael Belfiore from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles re-signed C Chris Snyder to a minor league contract, optioned him to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Yankees released RHP Chien-Ming Wang.
- Blue Jays purchased the contract of INF Andy LaRoche from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays recalled C Josh Thole from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays designated C Henry Blanco for assignment.
- Indians signed LHP J.C. Romero to a minor league contract.
- Mariners released OF Corey Patterson.
- Orioles optioned LHP Michael Belfiore to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles acquired INF Seth Loman from the White Sox for cash considerations.
- While he's expected to miss a month or more with a fractured right hand, Padres 1B Yonder Alonso indicated Friday that he's striving to return to the Padres lineup within three weeks.
- Dodgers OF Matt Kemp (hamstring) remains on track to return from the disabled list when he's first eligible on June 14.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly indicated Friday he's concerned SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) would require another trip to the disabled list.
- 2B Chase Utley (oblique) said Friday that he's anticipating returning to the Phillies' starting lineup in the middle of June.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) will resume throwing Monday.
- Marlins SP Henderson Alvarez (shoulder) is expected to throw between 50 and 55 pitches during a simulated game on Saturday.
- Marlins manager Mike Redmond said Friday that OF Giancarlo Stanton (hamstring) could be activated from the disabled list on Monday.
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis (groin) is expected to be activated from the disabled list to start Saturday against the Padres.
- Diamondbacks SP Daniel Hudson has suffered a re-tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) will not begin a rehab assignment Friday with Triple-A Louisville as originally planned.
- Cardinals pitching prospect Jordan Swagerty (elbow) appeared in an extended spring training game on Friday.
- Cardinals pitching prospect Tyrell Jenkins revealed via Twitter Friday that an exam on his pitching shoulder came back clean.
- Nationals RP Christian Garcia (forearm) has been moved up to Triple-A Syracuse to continue his rehab.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez is expected to avoid the disabled list after tests revealed only inflammation in his left forearm.
- Diamondbacks RP J.J. Putz (elbow) will throw off a mound on Saturday.
- Dodgers RP Shawn Tolleson (back) has been cleared to play catch.
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez was removed from Friday's game in the seventh inning due to an apparent ankle injury.
- Brewers RP Jim Henderson (hamstring) pitched a scoreless ninth inning, allowing one hit and striking out three in his first rehab appearance for Low-A Wisconsin on Friday.
- Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks (back) will continue his rehab assignment at Triple-A Pawtucket through the weekend.
- 2B Brian Roberts (knee) said Friday that it's "definitely realistic" to expect him to return to the Orioles' lineup before the All-Star break.
- Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Friday that DH Nolan Reimold is "progressing well" from his right hamstring strain.
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen (oblique) threw from a distance of 90 feet Friday.
- Royals SP Felipe Paulino (elbow) expects to begin a minor league rehab assignment next week with Double-A Northwest Arkansas.
- Rays SP David Price (triceps) said he "felt good" after throwing 38 pitches in a bullpen session Friday.
- Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie is wearing a walking boot on his ailing left ankle.
- Blue Jays SP J.A. Happ (head) has begun playing catch.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow (forearm) has yet to resume throwing.
- Blue Jays RP Darren Oliver (shoulder) tossed a scoreless inning Wednesday in his first rehab appearance with High-A Dunedin.
- Blue Jays SP Dustin McGowan (shoulder) is expected to be activated from the disabled list soon.
- Twins pitching prospect Alex Wimmers (elbow) has thrown a couple bullpen sessions and is expected to make season his debut sometime next month.
- Rays RP Jake McGee (shin) thinks he'll be available out of the bullpen Friday.
- Astros 2B Jose Altuve (groin) is expected to return to the lineup on Saturday.
- Red Sox OF Shane Victorino (hamstring) has joined the team in Boston and could be activated from the disabled list for the second game of Saturday's doubleheader.
- Orioles RP Pedro Strop (back) is expected to be activated from the disabled list on Saturday.
- Blue Jays SP Dustin McGowan (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list on Saturday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Reds manager Dusty Baker said Friday that SP Tony Cingrani is the "likely choice" to start Tuesday against the Cubs.
- Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Pirates SP Gerrit Cole "will very likely" make his major league debut on Tuesday against the Giants.
- Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets are expected to call up SP Zack Wheeler to make his major league debut on June 14 against the Cubs.
- Angels 1B Brad Hawpe is expected to be called up from Triple-A Salt Lake for Saturday's doubleheader against the Red Sox.
- Blue Jays SP Chad Jenkins will be called up to start on Tuesday against the White Sox.
- 19 Action News Investigative Reporter Scott Taylor reports that Indians RP Chris Perez will be charged with misdemeanor Possession of a Controlled Substance.