Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(28-32) Padres – 6 at 5 – Rockies (32-29) (12 innings)
- Padres OF Cameron Maybin finished the game 2-for-5 with a run scored, two RBI and a pair of stolen bases.
- Padres SP Andrew Cashner delivered a strong performance in a no-decision, surrendering three runs on seven hits over his seven innings of work.
- Rockies C Wilin Rosario blasted his 10th home run of the season.
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin had a rough game, allowing five runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings.
(31-30) Phillies – 5 at 1 – Brewers (22-37)
- Hitting out of the leadoff spot for the first time since 2004, Phillies 3B Michael Young went 3-for-5 and scored a run.
- Phillies SP Tyler Cloyd pitched very well, allowing four hits and five free passes over 6 2/3 scoreless innings.
- Brewers 3B Juan Francisco, starting in his third consecutive game, went 1-for-3.
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta’s difficult 2013 season continued, as he was tagged for five runs on seven hits in his five innings.
(37-23) Braves – 0 at 5 – Dodgers (26-33)
- Dodgers OF Yasiel Puig continued his rise to legendary status, smashing his first career grand slam.
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke was outstanding, allowing four hits and three walks over seven shutout innings.
- Braves OF Jason Heyward recorded his fourth consecutive multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- Braves SP Tim Hudson suffered a tough luck loss, surrendering just one run on four hits over his seven frames.
(34-26) Diamondbacks – 8 at 12 – Cardinals (39-21)
- Cardinals SP Shelby Miller was good again, allowing two runs while striking out nine over six innings.
- Diamondbacks SP Ian Kennedy was rocked for 10 runs on 13 hits and two walks over four innings.
- Cardinals RP Edward Mujica nailed down his 18th save of the season with a perfect 2/3 of an inning.
- Diamondbacks OF Gerardo Parra went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Cardinals 2B Daniel Descalso went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer.
(23-33) Mets – at – Nationals (29-30) (Postponed)
(34-26) Orioles – 3 at 1 – Astros (22-39)
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez allowed one run and five hits over 6 innings for the win.
- Astros SP Bud Norris gave up three runs and nine hits over seven innings in the loss.
- Orioles RP Jim Johnson notched his 20th save of the year.
- Orioles got RBI's from Adam Jones and J.J. Hardy.
- Astros J.D. Martinez knocked in the clubs only run of the game.
(35-25) Yankees – 6 at 1 – Mariners (26-35)
- Mariners SP Aaron Harang was obliterated, getting torched for six runs on eight hits in only 2 1/3 innings.
- Yankees 2B Robinson Cano launched his 15th home run of the season.
- Yankees SP Phil Hughes was stellar, allowing just three hits and a pair of walks over seven scoreless innings.
- Mariners 3B Kyle Seager had the lone run with an RBI double.
(32-27) Rays – 2 at 5 – Tigers (32-26)
(36-23) Rangers – 3 at 6 – Red Sox (37-24)
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz played the role of hero, belting a three-run walkoff homer.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester served up a pair of home runs in a no-decision, allowing three runs on seven hits over his six frames.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre had a solid night at the dish, going 3-for-4 with a solo homer.
- Rangers SP Derek Holland had mixed results in a no-decision, surrendering two runs on nine hits over his six innings of work.
(26-31) Twins – 3 at 7 – Royals (25-32)
- Royals OF Lorenzo Cain capped off a four-run eighth inning with a two-run blast.
- Royals SP Wade Davis pitched well in a no-decision, allowing just three runs (zero earned) on four hits and three walks in his five innings of work.
- Twins DH Ryan Doumit homered for the third time in his past four games.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey delivered a solid outing in a no-decision, allowing three runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.
(37-25) Athletics – 5 at 4 – White Sox (25-33)-(10 innings)
- Athletics SP Dan Straily was solid over seven frames, allowing four runs while striking out three.
- Athletics RP Grant Balfour nailed down a save with a scoreless 10th inning.
- White Sox SP Jose Quintana gave up four runs on seven hits over 7 2/3 innings.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes launched two homers for the second time in three games
- Padres activated OF Cameron Maybin from the 15-day disabled list.
- Padres placed 1B Yonder Alonso on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 1, with a sore right wrist.
- Cardinals recalled LHP Kevin Siegrist from Triple-A Memphis.
- Cardinals optioned RHP Maikel Cleto to Triple-A Memphis.
- Nationals recalled LHP Xavier Cedeno from Triple-A Syracuse.
- Rangers purchased the contract of 1B Chris McGuiness from Triple-A Round Rock.
- Rangers transferred RHP Colby Lewis from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Rangers placed 1B Mitch Moreland on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring.
- White Sox purchased the contract of RHP Ramon Troncoso from Triple-A Charlotte.
- White Sox recalled RHP Deunte Heath from Triple-A Charlotte.
- White Sox optioned RHP Brian Omogrosso to Triple-A Charlotte.
- White Sox placed RHP Jake Peavy on the 15-day disabled list with a non-displaced fracture in his rib cage.
- Angels released RHP Mark Lowe.
- Orioles recalled OF Xavier Avery from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles placed RHP Steve Johnson on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique.
- Orioles RP Steve Johnson will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique.
- Blue Jays optioned OF Anthony Gose to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Mariners recalled RHP Blake Beavan from Triple-A Tacoma.
- Mariners optioned RHP Hector Noesi to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Orioles optioned OF Xavier Avery to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Royals designated RHP Nate Adcock for assignment.
- Royals claimed INF Edinson Rincon off waivers from the Padres; optioned him to Double-A Northwest Arkansas.
- Mets OF Matt den Dekker (wrist) has been cleared to begin playing in games at extended spring training.
- Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (shoulder) said he still has "a ways to go" before he returns.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Rockies OF Dexter Fowler is dealing with a migraine in addition to the flu.
- Cardinals RP Fernando Salas (shoulder) played catch Thursday for the first time since being placed on the disabled list.
- Phillies SP John Lannan (quad) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with High-A Clearwater.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler (oblique) will make a minor league rehab start Saturday with High-A Potomac.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa received a cortisone shot in his right wrist on Thursday.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said that OF Bryce Harper will have his left knee examined by Dr. James Andrews on Monday.
- Cardinals pitching prospect Tyrell Jenkins left Thursday's start at Low-A Peoria with a right shoulder strain.
- Dodgers 2B Mark Ellis (groin) is expected back in the lineup on Friday.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu (foot) has officially been cleared to start on Friday against the Braves.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg (lat) will throw a simulated game on Tuesday.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said OF Carl Crawford's left hamstring strain is "fairly significant" and the outfielder will be out longer than 15 days.
- Rangers RP Joakim Soria (elbow) threw a 30-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday and will toss 35 pitches on Friday.
- Rangers RP Collin Balester underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on his right elbow Monday.
- Orioles RP Pedro Strop (back) threw 25 pitches in a simulated inning on Thursday.
- Yankees SS Derek Jeter (ankle) will fly to Charlotte, North Carolina next week to meet with his surgeon and undergo a CT scan as part of a follow-up examination.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland will wait 5-6 days before testing his right hamstring.
- Rays RP Jake McGee was pulled from Thursday's game against the Tigers because of a left shin contusion.
- Royals OF Jarrod Dyson (ankle) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Omaha on Thursday.
Notes and Rumors:
- MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins are open to moving right-hander Ricky Nolasco.
- Royals OF Tom Gorzelanny will make a spot start on Saturday against the Phillies.
- Braves selected Oklahoma State right-hander Jason Hursh with the 31st pick in the draft.
- Cardinals selected high school LHP Rob Kaminsky 28th overall.
- Reds selected Samford outfielder Philip Ervin with the 27th pick.
- Giants selected shortstop Christian Arroyo with the 25th pick in the draft.
- Cardinals selected Gonzaga LHP Marco Gonzales with the 19th pick in the draft.
- Dodgers selected Jacksonville University RHP Chris Anderson with the 18th overall pick.
- Phillies add high school shortstop J.P. Crawford with the 16th pick in the draft.
- Diamondbacks selected Nevada RHP Braden Shipley with the 15th overall pick.
- Pirates selected high school catcher Reese McGuire with the 14th pick in the draft.
- Padres took Mississippi State outfielder Hunter Renfroe with the 13th pick.
- Mets take high school first baseman Dominic Smith 11th overall.
- Nationals SP Ross Ohlendorf will not be called up to start on Saturday following Thursday's rainout.
- Pirates selected high school outfielder Austin Meadows with the ninth pick in the draft.
- Marlins selected third baseman Colin Moran from the University of North Carolina with the sixth overall pick.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly could miss his scheduled start on Sunday due to a disc issue with his neck.
- Rockies picked Oklahoma RHP Jonathan Gray with the third overall pick in the 2013 draft.
- Cubs picked University of San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant with the second pick in the draft.
- Rangers manager Ron Washington said 1B Chris McGuiness will see the majority of the playing time at first base while Mitch Moreland (hamstring) is on the disabled list.
- The Blue Jays are expected to call up 3B Andy LaRoche prior to Friday's game.
- Tigers made Texas RHP Corey Knebel the 39th overall selection in the 2013 draft.
- Royals selected Indiana St. left-hander Sean Manaea with the first pick in the competitive balance round and 34th overall selection in the draft.
- Yankees took high school left-hander Ian Clarkin with the 33rd and final pick in the first round of Wednesday's draft.
- Yankees picked Fresno State outfielder Aaron Judge with the 32nd selection.
- Rangers picked high school shortstop Travis Demeritte 30th overall Thursday.
- Rays selected University of Arkansas RHP Ryne Stanek with the 29th overall pick.
- Yankees took third baseman Eric Jagielo 26th overall in the draft.
- Athletics picked high school outfielder Billy McKinney 24th overall.
- Rangers picked Oral Roberts right-hander Alex Gonzalez with the 23rd selection.
- Orioles drafted high school right-hander Hunter Harvey 22nd overall.
- Rays selected catcher Nick Ciuffo with the 21st pick in the 2013 draft.
- Tigers selected University of Florida right-hander Jonathan Crawford with the 20th pick.
- White Sox grabbed junior college shortstop Tim Anderson with the 17th pick in the draft.
- Mariners selected University of New Mexico third baseman D.J. Peterson with the 12th pick.
- Blue Jays picked right-hander Phil Bickford with the 10th pick in the draft.
- Royals selected Stephen F. Austin shortstop Hunter Dozier with the eighth pick in the draft.
- Red Sox selected high school left-hander Trey Ball with the seventh pick in the draft.
- Indians picked high school outfielder Clint Frazier the fifth overall pick in the draft.
- Twins selected high school RHP Kohl Stewart fourth overall in the draft.
- Astros selected Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first overall pick in the 2013 draft.