Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(26-32) Padres – 7 at 9 – Dodgers (25-32)
- Dodgers SP Ted LIlly allowed four runs and six hits over 4 innings in a no decision.
- Padres SP Clayton Richard allowed six runs and five hits over 4.1 innings in a no decision.
- Dodgers OF Yusiel Puig had a huge night going 3-for-4 with two homers and five RBI.
- Padres got homers from Outfielders Chris Denorfia, Kyle Blanks and Carlos Quentin.
(16-43) Marlins – 3 at 7 – Phillies (29-30) (11 innings)
- Phillies OF John Mayberry hit a walk-off grand slam — his second homer of the night.
- Marlins OF Juan Pierre went 2-for-4 with two stolen bases and scored the go-ahead run in the 10th inning.
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone had a decent showing, allowing two runs — one earned — over six innings.
- Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco allowed two runs in 6 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
(35-24) Pirates – 4 at 5 – Braves (36-22) (10 innings)
- Braves OF B.J. Upton went 1-for-5 with his fifth home run of the year.
- Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen went 2-for-4 with two RBI.
- Braves SP Mike Minor allowed four runs — two earned — over six innings as he took a no-decision.
- Pirates SP Jeff Locke allowed three runs over 5 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
(31-28) Rockies – 5 at 4 – Reds (36-23)
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki hit a game-winning, two-run homer.
- Rockies RP Rex Brothers worked a perfect ninth inning to earn his second save of the season.
- Rockies SP Juan Nicasio went six innings and allowed three runs.
- Reds SP Homer Bailey allowed three runs in seven innings in taking a no-decision.
(33-25) Diamondbacks – 7 at 6 – Cardinals (38-20) (14 Innings)
- Cardinals SP Michael Wacha allowed six earned runs over 4 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Diamondbacks SP Tyler Skaggs yielded five earned runs over 5 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Cardinals got homers from 1B Allen Craig and OF Shane Robinson.
- Diamondbacks OF A.J. Pollock hit his 5th homer of the year.
- Diamondbacks RP Heath Bell saved his 10th game of the year.
(22-33) Mets – 2 at 3 – Nationals (29-29)
- Nationals SP Jordan Zimmermann didn't get a win but was superb, allowing two unearned runs on four hits and a walk over eight frames.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner deserved a win but was left with a no-decision, tossing seven innings of one-run ball.
- Mets RP Bobby Parnell blew his third save of the season, retiring only one batter while allowing two runs on three hits and a walk in a loss.
- Nationals SS Ian Desmond doubled and had a solo homer.
- Mets SS Omar Quintanilla went 2-for-3 with a two-RBI triple.
(30-28) Indians – 3 at 4 – Yankees (33-25)
- Yankees SP David Phelps bounced back from a disastrous outing last week with six scoreless innings and striking out seven for the win.
- Indians SP Scott Kazmir struck out seven but allowed four runs over six frames.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira singled and smacked a three-run homer.
- Indians OF Drew Stubbs singled and ripped a three-run homer.
(33-25) Orioles – 4 at 1 – Astros (21-38)
- Orioles SP Chris Tillman allowed just one run over seven innings while striking out eight.
- Astros OF Brandon Barnes went 2-for-4 with his third homer of the year.
- Orioles OF Nate McLouth went 1-for-4 with two stolen bases, his 20th and 21st of the year.
- Astros SP Lucas Harrell allowed two runs — one earned — over seven innings but took the loss.
(24-31) White Sox – at – Mariners (25-33)
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy allowed six runs and seven hits over 2.1 innings in the loss.
- Mariners SP Felix Hernandez allowed four runs and six hits over 7.1 innings for the win.
- White Sox DH Adam Dunn hit his 13th homer of the year.
- Mariners OF Raul Ibanez hit his 11th bomb of the season while knocking in four.
(31-26) Rays – 1 at 10 – Tigers (31-25)
- Tigers SP Anibal Sanchez allowed one run over seven innings, striking out nine.
- Tigers 1B Prince Fielder went 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBI.
- Tigers 2B Omar Infante went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI.
- Rays SP Matt Moore took his first loss of the season, giving up six runs over two innings.
(35-22) Rangers – 5 at 17 – Red Sox (36-23)
- Red Sox OF Daniel Nava went 3-for-4 with four runs scored.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz doubled and tripled, driving in three runs.
- Red Sox SS Stephen Drew went 4-for-5 with a homer and two doubles.
- Red Sox OF Mike Carp went 3-for-4 with his fourth home run of the season.
- Red Sox SP Ryan Dempster allowed three runs over seven innings to pick up the win.
- Rangers SP Justin Grimm lasted just 1 2/3 innings, allowing eight runs.
(26-29) Twins – 3 at 0 – Royals (23-32)
- Royals SP Luis Mendoza allowed three runs in 4 1/3 innings to take the loss.
- Twins SP Samuel Deduno was excellent again allowing just four hits over 6 shutout innings for the win.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham went 2-for-4 with and RBI and run scored.
- Twins DH Ryan Doumit blasted his 7th homer of the year.
- Twins RP Glen Perkins picked up his 12th save of the season.
(35-25) Athletics – 3 at 4 – Brewers (22-35) (10 innings)
- Brewers SP Kyle Lohse allowed three runs over six innings in part of a no-decision.
- Athletics SP A.J. Griffin allowed just four hits and striking out five in seven innings, but failed to earn his sixth win.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes went 3-for-5 with two home runs.
- Brewers 1B Yuniesky Betancourt delivered a walk-off double in the 10th inning.
(23-33) Cubs – 3 at 4 – Angels (26-33)
(24-34) Blue Jays – 1 at 2 – Giants (31-27)
- Blue Jays C J.P. Arencibia went 0-for-3 and struck out twice.
- Blue Jays 3B Edwin Encarnacion hit his 17th homer of the year.
- Giants OF Andres Torres hit just his 2nd homer of the year, accounting for all the clubs offense in the win.
- Giants SP Tim Lincecum was good allowing just one run on three hits over 7 innings for the win.
- Returning from the disabled list, Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson pitched well allowing just one earned run over 7 innings in a tough luck loss.
- Giants RP Sergio Romo picked up his 16th save of the year.
- Diamondbacks recalled LHP Tyler Skaggs from Triple-A Reno.
- Diamondbacks signed 1B Mike Jacobs to a minor league contract.
- Diamondbacks sent RHP Eric Smith outright to Double-A Mobile.
- Nationals placed 2B Danny Espinosa on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured right wrist.
- Nationals purchased the contract of LHP Ian Krol from Double-A Harrisburg.
- Nationals designated LHP Zach Duke for assignment.
- Nationals designated RHP Henry Rodriguez for assignment.
- Nationals recalled INF Anthony Rendon from Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals activated OF Jayson Werth from the 15-day disabled list.
- Dodgers activated SS Hanley Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list.
- Dodgers placed LHP Chris Capuano on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 30, with a left lat strain.
- Blue Jays activated RHP Josh Johnson from the 15-day disabled list.
- Blue Jays placed RHP Ramon Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 3, with a right elbow strain.
- Orioles released C Jose Gil.
- The Orioles have placed minor league right-hander Tom Boleska on the voluntary retired list.
- Yankees released OF Ben Francisco.
- Royals transferred LHP Danny Duffy from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Royals optioned C Adam Moore to Triple-A Omaha.
- Royals optioned RHP Louis Coleman to Triple-A Omaha.
- Royals activated C Salvador Perez from the bereavement list.
- Royals recalled RHP Kelvin Herrera from Triple-A Omaha.
- Indians recalled INF Juan Diaz from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians placed SS Asdrubal Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list with a right quad strain.
- Royals claimed OF Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers; optioned him to Triple-A Omaha.
- Yankees released LHP Clay Rapada.
- Rays signed C Jesus Flores to a minor league contract.
- Orioles designated C Chris Snyder for assignment.
- Orioles activated C Taylor Teagarden from the 15-day disabled list.
- Mets RP Frank Francisco (elbow) remains on a long-toss program.
- Mets RP Jeurys Familia will have surgery Wednesday to remove bone spurs and loose bodies from his right elbow.
- Nationals C Wilson Ramos (hamstring) told reporters on Tuesday that he is already feeling "way better."
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler (oblique) is expected to begin throwing off a mound in four days.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg (lat) will throw a bullpen session on Wednesday.
- Phillies C Carlos Ruiz (hamstring) expects to begin a minor league rehab assignment at some point next week.
- Marlins 2B Donovan Solano (intercostal) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday with High-A Jupiter.
- Marlins 1B Joe Mahoney (hamstring) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday night with High-A Jupiter.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton (hamstring) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday with High-A Jupiter.4
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis (groin) would take Tyler Chatwood's (triceps) spot in the rotation if the right-hander needs to miss a start or more.
- Brewers SP Marco Estrada (hamstring) could require a stint on the disabled list.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) will make his second rehab start on Sunday for Low-A Peoria.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy (elbow) struggled to get loose during his rehab start with Double-A Mississippi on Monday.
- Giants SP Eric Surkamp (elbow) will begin a rehab assignment with High-A San Jose on Wednesday.
- Dodgers SP Josh Beckett will not need surgery for a nerve issue in his pitching hand.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said during an appearance on MLB Network Radio that 3B Will Middlebrooks (back) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday with Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Yankees SP Michael Pineda (shoulder) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with High-A Tampa.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) went 1-for-3 with a double Monday in his third rehab game with High-A Rancho Cucamonga.
- Angels OF Peter Bourjos (hamstring) went 1-for-3 with an RBI triple on Monday in his first rehab game with High-A Inland Empire.
- Twins SP Rich Harden (lat) is scheduled to resume throwing this week.
- Astros SS Marwin Gonzalez (hamstring) went 0-for-2 with a sacrifice bunt in his return to action Monday.
- Orioles RP Pedro Strop (back) is aiming to return from the disabled list this coming weekend.
- Yankees SS Eduardo Nunez (oblique) had a setback while attempting to swing a bat.
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen (oblique) made 25 tosses from 60 and 75 feet Tuesday.
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy will undergo an MRI on Wednesday after leaving his start Tuesday with pain in his left ribs.
- Tigers RP Luis Marte is out for the season after undergoing cleanup surgery on his right shoulder.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson (hamstring) will attempt to resume running later this week.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said SS Jose Reyes (ankle) could begin a rehab assignment in a couple weeks.
- Mariners OF Michael Morse (quad) hopes to rejoin the lineup in the next few days.
- An MRI on Blue Jays SP Ramon Ortiz's right elbow did not reveal a tear.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre (hamstring) is expected to be back in the lineup on Wednesday.
- Orioles 3B Wilson Betemit (knee) hit in the batting cages on Tuesday.
- Orioles 2B Brian Roberts (knee) hit in the batting cage on Tuesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Nationals RP J.C. Romero could sign a minor league contract with the Indians on Thursday.
- FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cardinals are one of nine teams that are not on Phillies SP Cliff Lee's no-trade list.
- Giants SP Tim Lincecum will have his next start pushed back to Tuesday.
- T.J. Quinn of ESPN's Outside the Lines reports that Major League Baseball is preparing to suspend Brewers OF Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and about 20 others connected to the Biogenesis clinic in Miami.
- Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Monday that the club plans to discuss a way to keep 2B Jurickson Profar in the majors after Ian Kinsler (rib cage) returns from the disabled list.
- Orioles OF Nick Markakis will not play Wednesday or Thursday in order to attend his grandmother's funeral.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel could move up a day to start on Thursday.