Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(31-24) Diamondbacks – 12 at 4 – Cubs (23-31)
- Paul Goldschmidt's 13th homer was a grand slam off Carlos Marmol on Saturday.
- Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija was charged with three runs in 6 1/3 innings after striking out 11.
- Cubs RP Carlos Marmol took his third loss after walking three and giving up four runs in one-third of an inning.
- Diamondbacks OF Jason Kubel went 2-for-6 with a three-run double and an RBI groundout.
(21-33) Brewers – 4 at 3 – Phillies (26-30)
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta pitched seven innings of two-run ball.
- Brewers RP Francisco Rodriguez notched his third save despite giving up a Freddy Galvis solo homer in the ninth inning.
- Brewers C Jonathan Lucroy had another strong game, going 2-for-4 with his sixth homer.
- Phillies 2B Cesar Hernandez collected three hits, including a double.
(35-21) Reds – 2 at 0 – Pirates (34-22)
(28-28) Nationals – 1 at 2 – Braves (33-22) (10 innings)
- Nationals SP Gio Gonzalez allowed just one run over 7 innings in a no decision.
- Braves SP Tim Hudson pitched 7.1 shutout innings but didn't factor in the outcome.
- Braves RP Jordan Walden picked up the win in relief.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton singled in the 10th for the walkoff win. Upton also had another hit on the day, raising his average to .153.
(22-31) Mets – 1 at 8 – Marlins (15-41)
(29-26) Giants – 0 at 8 – Cardinals (36-18) Game 1
- Cardinals SP Shelby Miller spun seven scoreless frames.
- Giants SP Matt Cain was tagged for seven runs in six innings.
- Cardinals 1B Matt Adams had an RBI single, a walk, and two runs scored.
- Giants SS Brandon Crawford went 3-for-4 with three singles.
(29-27) Giants – 1 at 7 – Cardinals (37-18) Game 2
(23-31) Dodgers – 6 at 7 – Rockies (29-27) (10 innings)
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler singled in Yorvit Torrealba in the bottom of the 10th for the win.
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin surrendered five runs in six innings in a no-decision.
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke pitched 5 1/3 innings and gave up four runs and nine hits in a no-decision.
- Dodgers C Tim Federowicz had a homer and a two-run double.
(30-25) Rays – 0 at 5 – Indians (30-25)
- Indians SP Ubaldo Jimenez was fantastic, striking out seven batters over eight scoreless frames.
- Indians RP Vinnie Pestano tossed a scoreless ninth inning for his first save of the season.
- Rays SP Chris Archer yielded five runs in four-plus innings.
- Indians DH Jason Giambi went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI.
(34-23) Red Sox – 11 at 1 – Yankees (31-24)
(30-24) Tigers – 10 at 3 – Orioles (31-25)
(23-30) Royals – 4 at 1 – Rangers (34-21) (10 innings)
- Royals 1B Eric Hosmer went 3-for-5 with a stolen base.
- Rangers SP Nick Tepesch allowed just an unearned run over 6 1/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Royals SP James Shields went 7 strong innings allowing just one run and five hits in a no-decision.
- Royals RP Greg Holland picked up his 9th save of the year.
(24-32) Mariners – 4 at 5 – Twins (24-29)
- Twins DH Ryan Doumit went 3-for-5 with a walk-off two-run triple and a run scored.
- Mariners RP Tom Wilhelmsen blew his third save of the season.
- Twins SP Kevin Correia gave up four runs in 6 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Mariners SP Aaron Harang yielded two runs (one earned) in six innings Saturday in a no-decision against the Twins.
- Mariners OF Jason Bay hit a pair of solo homers.
(19-37) Astros – 2 at 0 – Angels (25-31)
(24-29) White Sox – 3 at 4 – Athletics (33-24) (10 innings)
(23-33) Blue Jays – 3 at 4 – Padres (26-29)
- Diamondbacks placed RHP Brandon McCarthy on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 31, with a shoulder injury.
- Diamondbacks recalled RHP Randall Delgado from Triple-A Reno.
- Nationals recalled RHP Erik Davis from Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals placed OF Bryce Harper on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 27, with left knee bursitis.
- Cubs designated RHP Alex Burnett for assignment.
- Cubs purchased the contract of RHP Blake Parker from Triple-A Iowa.
- Cubs placed RHP Rafael Dolis on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 27, with a forearm strain.
- The Nationals have promoted 3B Anthony Rendon to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Padres recalled LHP Robert Erlin from Triple-A Tacoma.
- Padres placed RHP Huston Street on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left calf.
- Padres optioned RHP Nick Vincent to Triple-A Tucson.
- Padres recalled LHP Tom Layne from Triple-A Tucson.
- Orioles signed RHP Jon Rauch to a minor league contract.
- Blue Jays recalled RHP Mickey Storey from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays optioned RHP Chad Jenkins to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays sent LHP Ricky Romero outright to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays purchased the contract of RHP Ramon Ortiz.
- Blue Jays placed RHP Brandon Morrow on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 29, with a right forearm strain.
- Rays recalled LHP Alex Torres from Triple-A Durham.
- Rays optioned RHP Josh Lueke to Triple-A Durham.
- Indians purchased the contract of RHP Matt Langwell from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians optioned LHP Scott Barnes to Triple-A Columbus.
- Rays optioned LHP Jeff Beliveau to Triple-A Durham.
- The Nationals aren't currently planning on placing SP Stephen Strasburg on the disabled list with his strained oblique.
- Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said he believes OF Carl Crawford suffered a hamstring cramp, not a strain, when he was forced to leave Saturday's game.
- Rockies RP Rafael Betancourt's father tweeted that the Rockies closer may need to go on the DL due to continued problems with his sore right groin.
- Mets SP Jon Niese (shoulder) is expected to rejoin the Mets' starting rotation next Friday against the Marlins.
- Mets RP Tim Byrdak (shoulder) pitched in an extended spring training game Saturday.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) went 0-for-2 with a walk in his first rehab game Friday with High-A Rancho Cucamonga.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) will begin a rehab assignment Tuesday with Double-A Springfield.
- Dodgers OF Matt Kemp (hamstring) is expected to return from the disabled list when first eligible.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) made his first rehab appearance Thursday with Triple-A Nashville.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips is day-to-day after coming out of Saturday's game with a left forearm contusion, the result of a HBP.
- Pirates SP James McDonald (shoulder) pitched four scoreless innings in his rehab start for Double-A Altoona on Saturday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Padres SP Clayton Richard will make his next start Tuesday against the Dodgers after pitching in relief Friday.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel was ejected from Saturday's game in the fourth inning for hitting Matt Tuiasosopo with a pitch in the shoulder.
- Rays SP Jeremy Hellickson will start Sunday against the Indians.
- Rays SP Matt Moore is expected to start Tuesday against the Tigers.
- The Blue Jays will give RP Esmil Rogers another start Friday against the Rangers.