Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for June 1, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(30-24) Diamondbacks – 2 at 7 – Cubs (23-30)
- Cubs SP Matt Garza pitched seven innings of two-run ball.
- Diamondbacks SP Wade Miley was tagged for seven runs in seven innings.
- Cubs OF Scott Hairston hit his third career grand slam off Wade Miley.
- Diamondbacks OF Jason Kubel went 0-for-4, dropping his average to .231.
(20-33) Brewers – 8 at 5 – Phillies (26-29)
- Brewers C Jonathan Lucroy had a huge day at the dish, going 5-for-5 with two home runs, four RBI and three runs scored.
- Brewers SP Yovani Gallardo gave up five runs in 5 2/3 innings, but notched the victory.
- Phillies SP Cole Hamels fell to 1-9 on the year after he gave up seven runs (six earned) in five innings in a loss.
- Phillies OF Domonic Brown went 2-for-4 with two home runs and four RBI. Brown now leads the NL in homers with 15.
(34-21) Reds – 6 at 0 – Pirates (34-21)
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto dominated, allowing just one hit over eight shutout frames.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez yielded two runs in seven innings.
- Reds OF Jay Bruce went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two runs scored.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
(28-27) Nationals – 3 at 2 – Braves (32-22)-
- Nationals OF Denard Span went 3-for-4 with two triples.
- Braves 1B Freddie Freeman went 2-for-3 with a home run.
- Nationals RP Craig Stammen threw four scoreless innings in relief of injured starter Stephen Strasburg to earn the win.
- Braves SP Julio Teheran allowed three runs over 6 2/3 innings..
(22-30) Mets – 1 at 5 – Marlins (14-41)
- Making his season debut, Marlins SP Jacob Turner spun seven scoreless frames striking out three and allowing five hits.
- Mets SP Shaun Marcum dropped to 0-6 after he yielded four runs in 6 2/3 innings.
- Marlins OF Marcell Ozuna went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored and helped snap a nine-game losing streak.
- Mets OF Rick Ankiel went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
(29-25) Giants – at – Cardinals (35-18) (Postponed-DoubleHeader scheduled Saturday)
(23-30) Dodgers – 7 at 5 – Rockies (28-27) (10 innings)
- Dodgers 3B Juan Uribe went 2-for-4 with two RBI, two runs scored and a walk.
- Dodgers SP Brandon League blew his third save of the season.
- Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw yielded three runs in seven-plus innings in a no-decision.
- Rockies SP Jon Garland was touched up for five runs in five innings as part of a no-decision.
(30-24) Rays – 9 at 2 – Indians (29-25)
- Rays SP Matt Moore and Indians SP Corey Kluber both had their starts cut short due to a weather delay.
- Rays SP Jamey Wright picked up the win in relief firing three scoreless innings.
- Rays got two homers from 1B James Loney who knocked in three.
(33-23) Red Sox – 1 at 4 – Yankees (31-23)
- Yankees SP CC Sabathia allowed one run in 7 1/3 innings and matched a season-high with 10 strikeouts.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester yielded four runs in 6 1/3 inning.
- Yankees OF Ichiro Suzuki went 2-for-3 with an RBI single and two runs scored.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira went 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in his return from the disabled list.
- Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
(29-24) Tigers – 5 at 7 – Orioles (31-24)
- Orioles OF Chris Dickerson delivered a walk-off three-run homer.
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde gave up four runs for his second blown save of the season.
- Tigers SP Max Scherzer yielded three runs in eight innings as part of a no-decision.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez gave up a season-high five runs in six innings in a no-decision.
- Orioles OF Nick Markakis smacked a solo homer.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and a walk.
(22-31) Royals – 2 at 7 – Rangers (34-20)
- Rangers SP Derek Holland allowed two runs (one earned) in seven innings.
- Royals SP Wade Davis was tagged for six runs in five-plus innings.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre went 4-for-4 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Rangers OF Nelson Cruz connected for a three-run homer.
- Royals SS Alcides Escobar went 2-for-4 with an RBI single.
(24-31) Mariners – 3 at 0 – Twins (23-29)
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings.
- Mariners RP Tom Wilhelmsen pitched a perfect ninth inning to pick up his 12th save of the season.
- Mariners DH Kendrys Morales went 1-for-4 with his eighth homer of the season.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey allowed three runs over 5 1/3 innings in taking the loss.
(18-37) Astros – 6 at 3 – Angels (25-30)
- Astros RP Dallas Keuchel pitched seven innings of two-run ball to earn a victory.
- Astros RP Jose Veras struck out two in a perfect ninth to earn a save.
- Angels SP Tommy Hanson lost in his return from the restricted list, giving up five runs — four earned — in 6 1/3 innings.
- Astros 1B Carlos Pena went 3-for-5 with a double, an RBI and his first steal of the year.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar went 2-for-4 and hit his first homer of the year.
(24-28) White Sox – 0 at 3 – Athletics – (32-24)
- Athletics OF Josh Reddick doubled in a run in his return from the disabled list.
- White Sox SP Dylan Axelrod took a tough loss after allowing two runs in seven innings and striking out seven.
- Athletics SP Bartolo Colon pitched his 11th career shutout.
(23-31) Blue Jays – at – Padres (24-29) (17 innings)
- Padres SP Jason Marquis went 5.1 innings giving up three runs and seven hits in a no decision.
- Blue Jays SP Chad Jenkins gave up two runs and three hits in 5 innings of work.
- Padres SP Clayton Richard got the win in relief pitching two scoreless innings.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko continues to hit as he went 3-for-7 with two RBI's and runs scored.
- Blue Jays OF Colby Rasmus had a nice night going 4-for-7 with a homer and two RBI.
- Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion blasted his 15th homer of the year in the loss.
- Diamondbacks activated INF Willie Bloomquist from the 15-day disabled list.
- Diamondbacks placed 3B Eric Chavez on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain.
- Pirates acquired LHP Atahualpa Severino from the Royals in exchange for cash considerations.
- Marlins sent INF Nick Green outright to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins recalled RHP Jacob Turner from Triple-A New Orleans.
- Phillies recalled LHP Joe Savery from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies released RHP Chad Durbin.
- Pirates activated INF Chase d'Arnaud from the 60-day disabled list, optioned him to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates optioned INF Josh Harrison to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates recalled OF Alex Presley from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Phillies signed INF Andy Gonzalez to a minor league contract.
- Pirates acquired RHP Graham Godfrey from the Red Sox for cash considerations.
- Cardinals recalled RHP Keith Butler from Double-A Springfield.
- Cardinals optioned RHP Mitchell Boggs to Triple-A Memphis.
- Dodgers former RP Ryan Acosta was suspended 50 games for violating the minor league baseball drug policy.
- Dodgers transferred LHP Scott Elbert from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Dodgers optioned RHP Javy Guerra to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers purchased the contract of RHP Peter Moylan from Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers former C C.J. Retherford was suspended 50 games for violating the minor league baseball drug policy.
- Indians signed RHP Chris Jakubauskas to a minor league contract.
- Mariners sent INF Robert Andino outright to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Blue Jays sent RHP Ramon Ortiz outright to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays sent 1B Clint Robinson outright to Double-A New Hampshire.
- Yankees optioned RHP Ivan Nova to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees optioned LHP Vidal Nuno to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees activated 3B Kevin Youkilis from the 15-day disabled list.
- Yankees activated 1B Mark Teixeira from the 60-day disabled list.
- Rays recalled RHP Chris Archer from Triple-A Durham.
- Rays recalled LHP Jeff Beliveau from Triple-A Durham.
- Rays optioned RHP Alex Colome to Triple-A Durham.
- Athletics optioned C/1B/DH Luke Montz to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Astros placed RHP Edgar Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 26, with a right shoulder strain.
- Astros activated RHP Josh Fields from the 15-day disabled list.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) is unsure when he'll resume a rehab assignment.
- Diamondbacks RP J.J. Putz (elbow) could possibly throw off a mound on Monday.
- Mets RP Jeurys Familia (biceps) has experienced a setback in his rehab.
- Phillies SP Adam Morgan has a small tear in his rotator cuff that will sideline him for at least three weeks.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg suffered a strained right oblique in Friday's start against the Braves, according to Nationals manager Davey Johnson.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy said OF Angel Pagan (hamstring) could return to the lineup as soon as Saturday.
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval was diagnosed with left foot strain following an MRI and could miss up to a week.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said that OF Jayson Werth (knee) won't come off the disabled list until Tuesday at the earliest.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Friday that OF Bryce Harper (knee) is unlikely to play this weekend against the Braves.
- Braves SP Kris Medlen (calf) ran Friday and said he will have no problems preparing for his next scheduled start on Monday.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow (forearm) is expected to start on Sunday against the Padres.
- Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes (ankle) could begin a rehab assignment within a week.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) is likely to be activated from the disabled list on June 6.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson (hamstring) appears to be nearing a rehab assignment.
- Rangers SP Alexi Ogando said after Friday's rehab start that he's ready to return to the Rangers rotation.
- Orioles RP Tsuyoshi Wada (elbow) surrendered six runs (four earned) in 4 2/3 innings Friday in his fourth rehab start with Triple-A Norfolk.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson (triceps) will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Giants.
- Angels RP Ryan Madson (elbow) has resumed playing catch.
- Orioles RP Pedro Strop (back) is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Saturday.
- Rangers prospect right-hander Roman Mendez will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his elbow.
Notes and Rumors:
- Nationals 3B Anthony Rendon will be promoted to Triple-A Syracuse by the Nationals in the coming days, according to reports.
- Giants RP Chad Gaudin will start Sunday against the Cardinals.
- Brewers RP Mike Fiers will start Sunday against the Phillies.
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta will move up a day in the rotation to start Saturday against the Phillies.
- The Royals don't expect Salvador Perez to return from the bereavement list until Tuesday.
- White Sox manager Robin Ventura said 2B Conor Gillaspie won't see much of a drop in playing time after Gordon Beckham (hand) is activated from the disabled list.
- Yankees RP Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Chien-Ming Wang isn't planning on opting out of his minor league deal with the Yankees at this time.
- The Mariners will call up right-hander Jeremy Bonderman to start Sunday against the Twins.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now