Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(23-31) Mariners – 7 at 1 – Padres (24-29)
- Mariners SP Felix Hernandez went 8 strong innings allowing just one run for the win.
- Padres SP Andrew Cashner allowed four runs and seven hits over 6 innings in the loss.
- Mariners 1B Kendrys Morales hit his 7th homer of the year while SS Brendan Ryan hit his 2nd.
- Mariners 2B Nick Franklin hit his first two major league homers of his career.
(21-29) Royals – 4 at 2 – Cardinals (35-17) (Delayed 9th)
- Cardinals SP Michael Wacha was denied a victory after allowing one run and two hits over seven innings in a stellar major league debut.
- Royals SP Jeremy Guthrie was allowed two runs and eight hits over six innings of work.
- Royals 1B Eric Hosmer knocked in a pair of runs, giving him just 15 RBI on the season.
- Royals OF Jeff Francouer hit his 2nd homer of the season.
(17-37) Astros – 7 at 5 – Rockies (28-26)
- Astros OF J.D. Martinez recorded his first four-hit game and is 8-13 in the last three days.
- Astros RP Hector Ambriz recorded his first major league save by striking out two in a scoreless ninth.
- Rockies SP Juan Nicasio took a loss after giving up five runs in five innings.
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez went 2-for-3 with two walks, three steals and two runs scored.
(29-24) Rays – 5 at 2 – Marlins (13-41)
- Rays SP Alex Colome surrendered just an unearned run over 5 2/3 innings and struck out seven to earn a win in his major league debut.
- Rays RP Fernando Rodney pitched a perfect ninth inning for his second save in as many days.
- Rays 1B James Loney hit his fifth homer and walked.
- The Marlins are now 5-22 in the month of May and 13-41 overall.
(31-24) Athletics – 2 at 5 – Giants (29-25)
- Giants SP Barry Zito pitched well in the win giving up just one run and three hits over six frames.
- Athletics SP A.J. Griffin was shaky in the loss giving up four runs in 5.2 innings while striking out five.
- Pablo Sandoval snapped out of a recent funk knocking in a pair of runs.
- Athletics OF Coco Crisp had three hits, an RBI and a stolen base.
(27-27) Nationals – 0 at 2 – Orioles (30-24)
(29-23) Tigers – 0 at 1 – Pirates (34-20) (11 innings)
(33-21) Reds – 1 at 7 – Indians (29-24)
(19-33) Brewers – 6 at 8 – Twins (23-28)
- Twins OF Chris Parmelee went 2-for-4 and hit his fifth homer.
- Filling in for a resting Glen Perkins, Twins RP Jared Burton pitched a scoreless ninth for his second save.
- Brewers SP Kyle Lohse, who missed his last start with a sore elbow, gave up six runs and four homers in 4 2/3 innings.
- Brewers OF Logan Schafer went 3-for-4 with a triple, a double and three RBI.
(23-31) Blue Jays – 3 at 11 – Braves (32-21)
(24-27) White Sox – 3 at 8 – Cubs (22-30)
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy was tagged for six runs in just 4 innings of work.
- Cubs SP Travis Wood did it all in the win, pitching six strong innings and hitting a grand slam.
- Cubs 3B Luis Valbuena had a nice day at the dish going 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a homer.
- White Sox 1B Paul Konerko seems to be rebounded of late after a rough start knocking in a pair of runs. Konerko's average is above .240 for the first time since April 22nd.
(33-22) Red Sox – 9 at 2 – Phillies (26-28)
- Red Sox RP Franklin Morales recorded a win in his season debut after allowing two runs in five innings.
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone gave up four runs in five innings to take his first big-league loss.
- Red Sox OF Jacoby Ellsbury went 3-for-4 and a club record with five steals.
- Red Sox C Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled twice and drove in three runs.
(21-30) Mets – 3 at 1 – Yankees (30-23)
(22-30) Dodgers – 2 at 3 – Angels (25-29)
(30-23) Diamondbacks – 5 at 9 – Rangers (33-20)
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy was lit up for six runs in just 2.2 innings for the loss.
- Rangers SP Justin Grimm picked up his 5th win of the year dealing six innings of two run ball.
- Rangers got homers from 1B Mitch Moreland and OF David Murphy.
- Rangers OF Nelson Cruz went 2-for-4 with a two runs scored, an RBI, walk and steal.
- Diamondbacks 1B Paul Goldschmidt continued his stellar season with four more hits, raising his average to .337.
- Cardinals transferred LHP Jaime Garcia from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Michael Wacha from Triple-A Memphis.
- Cardinals optioned RHP Michael Blazek to Triple-A Memphis.
- Braves designated 3B Juan Francisco for assignment.
- Padres recalled RHP Nick Vincent from Triple-A Tucson.
- Padres optioned RHP Anthony Bass to Triple-A Tucson.
- Mets transferred RHP Frank Francisco from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Mets purchased the contract of INF Omar Quintanilla from Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Cubs purchased the contract of RHP Zach Putnam from Triple-A Iowa.
- Cubs transferred RHP Kyuji Fujikawa from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Cubs optioned RHP Alex Burnett to Triple-A Iowa.
- Mets placed SS Ruben Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right quadriceps muscle.
- Braves purchased the contract of LHP Alex Wood from Double-A Mississippi.
- Cubs sent RHP Michael Bowden outright to Triple-A Iowa.
- Marlins optioned LHP Duane Below to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Dodgers activated RHP Stephen Fife from the 15-day disabled list, optioned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers placed OF Matt Kemp on the 15-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain.
- Dodgers recalled C Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers released 3B C.J. Retherford.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) hopes to begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.
- Pirates OF Jose Tabata (oblique) has resumed physical activities.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton (hamstring) is backing off his rehab program due to sore knees.
- Mets SP Jon Niese was diagnosed with left shoulder tendinitis and will be reevaluated in 10 days.
- Diamondbacks 3B Eric Chavez was diagnosed with a strained right oblique.
- Mets SP Jon Niese has been scratched from Saturday's start against the Marlins due to a shoulder issue.
- Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times suspects that the Dodgers might promote prospect OF Joc Pederson with Matt Kemp hitting the DL.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson is hoping that OF Bryce Harper (knee) will be able to return to the lineup Friday.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley (oblique) fielded some grounders prior to Thursday's game.
- Dodgers C A.J. Ellis could need a trip to the disabled list due to pain in his left side muscle.
- Dodgers SP Josh Beckett (groin, hand) will visit a nerve specialist in Dallas on Monday.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said they are "tentatively thinking" 1B Corey Hart (knee) will begin a rehab assignment next week.
- Mets RP Scott Atchison will seek a second opinion on his right elbow after experiencing renewed numbness in his pitching hand.
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis (groin) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Monday.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz felt no discomfort is his AC joint during a brief bullpen session Thursday and is slated to start Sunday's series finale against the Yankees.
- Yankees SP Andy Pettitte (trapezius) is scheduled to return from the disabled list to start Monday against the Indians.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) will resume his rehab assignment Thursday with Triple-A Charlotte.
- White Sox RP Leyson Septimo (shoulder) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Thursday night at Triple-A Charlotte.
- Orioles C Taylor Teagarden (thumb) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday with Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold (hamstring) could begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.
- Red Sox OF Shane Victorino (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment on Sunday or Monday.
- Indians OF Ryan Raburn exited Thursday's game in the fifth inning with a lower leg cramp.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson (triceps) allowed six runs on eight hits and three walks over just 4 2/3 frames in a rehab start with Triple-A Buffalo Thursday.
- Angels OF Peter Bourjos (hamstring) is on track to begin a rehab assignment on Monday.
- Twins OF Darin Mastroianni has had the cast removed from his surgically-repaired left foot.
- Astros RP Edgar Gonzalez is currently nursing a sore right shoulder.
- Rangers 1B Mike Olt (eye) is expected to be activated by Double-A Frisco on Friday.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb (fingernail) is expected to rejoin the rotation on Tuesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Dodgers OF Tony Gwynn Jr. is likely to be called up prior to Friday's game.
- The Marlins will recall SP Jacob Turner from Triple-A New Orleans to make his season debut against the Mets on Friday.
- Mariners 2B Dustin Ackley went 4-for-5 with a home run, two walks, and three RBI in Wednesday's game at Triple-A Tacoma.
- Indians SP Brett Myers could be converted into a reliever if his right elbow issues persist for much longer.
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi indicated that 2B Robinson Cano could remain in the No. 2 spot after Mark Teixeira (wrist) and Kevin Youkilis (back) return.
- Rays SP Chris Archer will be called up to start on Saturday versus the Indians.