Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(22-31) Mariners – 2 at 3 – Padres (24-28) (10 innings)
- After entering a tie game, Padres RP Huston Street gave up his seventh homer of the year to Jason Bay.
- Mariners SP Joe Saunders allowed one run and four hits in seven innings.
- Padres OF Will Venable singled in Chris Denorfia in the bottom of the 10th.
- Padres SP Eric Stults struck out a career-high 12 while pitching eight innings of one-run ball.
(21-29) Royals – 3 at 5 – Cardinals (35-17)
(16-37) Astros – 6 at 3 – Rockies (28-25)
- Astros SP Erik Bedard went 6 innings giving up two runs and seven hits in a no decision.
- Rockies SP Tyler Chatwood struck out ten over 6 innings while allowing two runs in a no decision.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki homered twice and doubled in the loss.
- Astros 1B Carlos Pena hit just his 4th homer of the season.
(28-24) Rays – 3 at 1 – Marlins (13-40)
(31-23) Athletics – 9 at 6 – Giants (28-25)
(27-26) Nationals – 6 at 9 – Orioles (29-24)
- Orioles 1B Chris Davis went 4-for-4 with two home runs.
- Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman went 3-for-4 with three home runs.
- Orioles RP Jim Johnson worked a perfect ninth inning to record his 16th save of the season.
- Nationals SP Jordan Zimmermann allowed seven runs on 10 hits over six innings.
- Orioles SP Chris Tillman allowed six runs, including four home runs, over 4 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
(29-22) Tigers – 3 at 5 – Pirates (33-20)
(33-20) Reds – 2 at 5 – Indians (28-24)
- Indians SP Justin Masterson walked four but still cruised through six innings of one-run ball.
- Reds SP Bronson Arroyo surrendered five runs on eight hits and a walk over 5 2/3 frames.
- Indians DH Jason Giambi doubled and smashed a three-run homer.
- Reds 1B Joey Votto ripped a solo homer in Wednesday's loss to the Indians.
(19-32) Brewers – 1 at 4 – Twins (22-28)
(23-30) Blue Jays – 3 at 0 – Braves (31-21)
(24-26) White Sox – 3 at 9 – Cubs (21-30)
- Cubs C Dioner Navarro homered three times and drove in six runs.
- Cubs SP Scott Feldman yielded two runs in six innings and struck out seven.
- White Sox SP John Danks surrendered four runs — three earned — and two homers in four innings.
- White Sox OF Dayan Viciedo went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and committed an error in left field.
(32-22) Red Sox – 3 at 4 – Phillies (26-27)
(20-30) Mets – 9 at 4 – Yankees (30-22)
- Mets OF Marlon Byrd went 2-for-5 with a home run.
- Yankees OF Brennan Boesch went 3-for-4 with his third home run of the season.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner allowed three runs over six innings to earn his first win of the season.
- Yankees RP David Phelps lasted just 1/3 of an inning on Wednesday, surrendering five runs — four earned — in a loss to the Mets.
(22-29) Dodgers – 3 at 4 – Angels (24-39)
- Angels SP Jered Weaver allowed one run in six innings and struck out seven in his return from the disabled list.
- Angels RP Ernesto Frieri picked up a save despite giving up two homers in the ninth.
- Angels 1B Mark Trumbo had a two-run homer, a sac fly and a walk.
- Dodgers 1B Adrian Gonzalez went 2-for-4 and hit his seventh homer.
(30-22) Diamondbacks – at – Rangers (32-20) (Postponed)
- Phillies recalled INF Cesar Hernandez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies placed 3B Michael Young on the bereavement list.
- Cubs 3B Josh Vitters was placed on the disabled list with Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday due to a strained rib cage muscle.
- Dodgers signed C J.R. Towles to a minor league contract.
- Giants purchased the contract of RHP Ramon Ramirez from Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants optioned LHP Mike Kickham to Triple-A Fresno.
- Rockies recalled RHP Rob Scahill from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies optioned OF Charlie Blackmon to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Braves optioned RHP Cory Rasmus from Triple-A Gwinnett.
- Braves activated RHP Jordan Walden from the 15-day disabled list.
- Marlins purchased the contract of INF/OF Ed Lucas from Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins designated INF Nick Green for assignment.
- Giants transferred INF Tony Abreu from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Blue Jays designated 1B Clint Robinson for assignment.
- Blue Jays recalled RHP Todd Redmond from Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Blue Jays purchased the contract of LHP Juan Perez from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays placed 3B Brett Lawrie on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 28, with a left ankle sprain.
- Rangers optioned LHP Martin Perez to Triple-A Round Rock.
- Blue Jays purchased the contract of RHP Neil Wagner from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Mariners optioned RHP Brandon Maurer to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Mariners recalled INF Alexi Liddi from Triple-A Tacoma.
- Rays recalled RHP Alex Colome from Triple-A Durham.
- Orioles recalled INF Ryan Flaherty from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles optioned INF/OF Yamaico Navarro to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Twins optioned 1B/3B Chris Colabello to Triple-A Rochester.
- Twins activated INF Trevor Plouffe from the 7-day disabled list.
- Red Sox recalled OF Jackie Bradley Jr. from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Angels released RHP Kip Wells.
- Angels activated RHP Jered Weaver from the 15-day disabled list.
- Angels designated RHP Mark Lowe for assignment.
- Cubs RP Kyuji Fujikawa needs season-ending Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy (elbow) is on track to make his 2013 debut on June 18 against the Mets.
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro said Wednesday that 2B Chase Utley (oblique) won't be activated when first eligible.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper (knee) isn't recovering as quickly as the Nationals had hoped and could possibly miss this weekend's series against the Braves.
- Diamondbacks SP Daniel Hudson (elbow) is expected to begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Mobile on Tuesday.
- Phillies SP John Lannan (quad) is aiming to begin a rehab assignment on June 6.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) will throw a more intense bullpen session on Thursday.
- Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (shoulder, neck) felt good during a 25-pitch bullpen session Wednesday.
- According to the Dodgers, OF Matt Kemp left Wednesday's game because of a mild right hamstring strain.
- Diamondbacks SP Ian Kennedy (finger) has been cleared to start on Saturday against the Cubs.
- Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill (hand) could start hitting by the end of the weekend.
- Mets SS Ruben Tejada left Wednesday's game against the Yankees with a quad injury.
- Padres SP Edinson Volquez was able to throw more breaking pitches during Tuesday's start after a blister on his right hand finally healed.
- Padres 2B Logan Forsythe (foot) is beginning a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson Wednesday.
- Pirates SP Charlie Morton (elbow, shoulder) will make his final rehab start for Triple-A Indianapolis on Sunday.
- Giants SP Eric Surkamp (elbow) will make a start in extended spring training on Saturday.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu had an X-ray on his foot that came back negative.
- Braves SP Kris Medlen left Wednesday's start against the Blue Jays with a left upper calf contusion.
- Giants OF Angel Pagan was given a cortisone shot for his ailing right hamstring Wednesday.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler (oblique) remains shut down from any activity.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) went 0-for-2 with a walk Wednesday in his first rehab game with Double-A Trenton.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) went 0-for-2 with a walk Wednesday in his first rehab game with Double-A Trenton.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) is scheduled to resume his minor league rehab assignment Friday.
- Indians C Lou Marson (shoulder) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday with Double-A Akron.
- Tigers RP Octavio Dotel (elbow) is not ready for a rehab assignment.
- Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia has been playing through a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb.
- Yankees SS Derek Jeter (ankle) has been cleared to play catch.
- Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler has a stress reaction on the right side of his rib cage and will be out at least two more weeks.
- Rangers SP Alexi Ogando (biceps) is scheduled to make a minor league rehab start Friday at Double-A Frisco.
- Rangers SP Colby Lewis is experiencing soreness in his triceps.
- Orioles SP Dylan Bundy (elbow, forearm) will have a followup exam with Dr. James Andrews next Monday.
- Royals 3B Mike Moustakas (quad) is back in the Royals' starting lineup Wednesday night against the Cardinals.
- Yankees OF Curtis Granderson underwent minor surgery Wednesday on his left hand fracture.
- Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Wednesday that the plan is for SP Andy Pettitte (trapezius) to return from the disabled list early next week.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz is still experiencing discomfort under his collarbone and might not pitch this weekend.
- An X-ray on Tigers OF Torii Hunter's elbow came back negative.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment on Friday.
- Tigers OF Torii Hunter left Wednesday's game against the Pirates as a precaution due to an elbow injury.
- Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks (back) is expected to be activated from the disabled list on June 8, the first day he's eligible.
- The Red Sox are hopeful that OF Shane Victorino (hamstring) will be ready for activation from the disabled list on June 5, the first day he's eligible.
- Mariners manager Eric Wedge is hopeful that OF Michael Morse's (quad) absence is "something minimal, in 3-5 day range."
- Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe was scratched from Wednesday's lineup due to left calf tightness.
- Orioles RP Pedro Strop (back) threw a pain-free 20-25 pitch bullpen session Wednesday.
- Angels OF Peter Bourjos (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment next week.
- Astros SS Marwin Gonzalez is nursing a minor hamstring injury.
Notes and Rumors:
- Andy Martino of the New York Daily News was told by one "high-ranking Mets source" that the club continues to discuss a possible demotion for SS Ruben Tejada.
- SP Carlos Zambrano will need at least two more minor league starts before possibly joining the Phillies.
- Diamondbacks SP Daniel Hudson (elbow) allowed four runs in six innings Wednesday at extended spring training.
- Rockies SP Roy Oswalt allowed one run on three hits while striking out six over six innings in his second start for Double-A Tulsa Wednesday.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy said RP Chad Gaudin is likely to start Sunday in St. Louis.
- Rangers manager Ron Washington said during a radio appearance Wednesday that the plan is for 2B Jurickson Profar to return to the minors when Ian Kinsler (rib cage) returns from the disabled list.
- White Sox SP Chris Sale will stay on his regular turn and start Sunday against the Athletics.
- Tigers manager Jim Leyland indicated Tuesday that he would prefer RP Bruce Rondon to stay in the minors for now.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said after Tuesday's game that RP Jerome Williams will make at least one more start.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said after Tuesday's game that SP Joe Blanton will remain in the starting rotation.
- The Rays have suspended prospect outfielder Josh Sale for conduct detrimental to the organization.
- RP Franklin Morales will start for the Red Sox on Thursday night against the Phillies.
- Rays SP Alex Colome will make his major league debut on Thursday against the Marlins.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb's scheduled start Friday has been pushed back due to a fingernail issue.
- Astros manager Bo Porter said Wednesday that RP Jose Veras remains the team's closer.