Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(23-28) Padres – 6 at 1 – Mariners (22-30)
- Padres SP Edinson Volquez pitched 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball for the win.
- Padres C Yasmani Grandal went1-for-4 with a run scored in his season debut.
- Mariners SP Brandon Maurer went 5.2 innings giving up five runs and nine hits in the loss.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko had another strong game hitting his 6th homer of the year.
- Padres OF Alexi Amarista hit his 4th homer of the season.
(34-17) Cardinals – 4 at 1 – Royals (21-28)
- Cardinals SP Tyler Lyons allowed one run on two hits over seven innings.
- Cardinals 2B Matt Carpenter went 2-for-3 with a home run and a stolen base.
- Royals SP Ervin Santana allowed four runs (on three homers) over 7 1/3 innings.
- Cardinals RP Edward Mujica worked a perfect ninth to pick up his 16th save of the season.
(28-24) Rockies – 2 at 1 – Astros (15-37)
- Rockies SP Jorge De La Rosa allowed one run in seven innings, but was denied the victory.
- Rockies RP Rafael Betancourt bounced back from Saturday's blown save and loss to pitch a scoreless ninth.
- Astros SP Jordan Lyles pitched seven strong innings, surrendering just one run.
- Astros RP Jose Veras took his fourth loss after giving up a run in a tie game.
- Astros OF Chris Carter went hitless in a third straight game, leaving him with a .214/.296/.399 line in 173 at-bats this season.
(13-39) Marlins – 6 at 7 – Rays (27-24)
- Rays SP Jeremy Hellickson struggled but escaped with a no-decision, allowing five runs on seven hits and a walk over 5 1/3 frames.
- Marlins SP Kevin Slowey allowed four runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings.
- Rays OF Desmond Jennings went 3-for-4 and delivered a walk-off single.
- Marlins OF Chris Coghlan had a two-RBI triple and a solo homer.
(28-24) Giants – 3 at 6 – Athletics (30-23)
- Athletics SP Jarrod Parker turned in his fourth straight quality start, allowing two runs over seven innings.
- Giants SP Mike Kickham lasted just 2 1/3 innings in his major league debut and gave up four runs in a loss.
- Giants OF Hunter Pence hit his 8th bomb of the year.
- Athletics C Derek Norris hit his 2nd homer of the year while SS Adam Rosales hit his 3rd.
(28-24) Orioles – 3 at 9 – Nationals (27-25)
(32-20) Pirates – 1 at 0 – Tigers (29-21) (11 innings)
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker went 3-for-5 with a game-winning home run in the 11th inning.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli struck out the side to record his league-leading 21st save of the season.
- Pirates SP Jeanmar Gomez threw seven scoreless innings to take a no-decision in an extra-innings win.
- Tigers SP Rick Porcello struck out 11 batters over eight scoreless innings but took a no-decision in an extra-innings loss.
(27-24) Indians – 2 at 8 – Reds (33-19)
(21-28) Twins – 6 at 5 – Brewers (19-31) (14 innings)
- Brewers SS Jean Segura went 6-for-7 with two runs scored.
- Twins RP Glen Perkins blew his second save of the season, allowing a run on two hits, a walk and a hit batsman.
- Brewers RP Alfredo Figaro allowed four runs over five innings and took a no-decision.
- Twins SP Scott Diamond allowed four runs in 4 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
(31-20) Braves – 7 at 6 – Blue Jays (22-30) (10 innings)
(20-30) Cubs – at – White Sox (24-25) (Postponed)
(25-27) Phillies – 3 at 1 – Red Sox (32-21)
(30-21) Yankees – 1 at 2 – Mets (20-29)
- Mets OF Lucas Duda went 2-for-4 with a walk-off single.
- Yankees RP Mariano Rivera blew his first save of the season, giving up two runs in a loss.
- Mets SP Matt Harvey allowed one run over eight innings in a no-decision.
- Yankees SP Hiroki Kuroda pitched a shut out for seven innings but took a no-decision.
(23-29) Angels – 0 at 3 – Dodgers (22-28)
- Dodgers OF Matt Kemp doubled and was hit by a pitch before coming out of the game in the ninth inning.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched a two-hitter and struck out seven.
- Angels SP Joe Blanton dropped to 1-8 despite allowing three runs over seven innings.
- Dodgers 3B Luis Cruz hit his first homer of the season, a two-run shot off the Joe Blanton.
- Diamondbacks optioned LHP Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno.
- The Cardinals will call up prospect right-hander Michael Wacha to start Thursday against the Royals.
- Giants purchased the contract of LHP Mike Kickham from Triple-A Fresno.
- Padres optioned C John Baker to Triple-A Tucson.
- Padres activated C Yasmani Grandal from the restricted list.
- Nationals recalled RHP Nate Karns from Double-A Harrisburg.
- Nationals optioned LHP Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Padres designated 3B Edinson Rincon for assignment.
- Nationals prospect left-hander Matt Purke has been activated from the disabled list with Class A Hagerstown.
- Pirates recalled RHP Bryan Morris from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates placed RHP Jose Contreras on the 15-day disabled list with lower back inflammation.
- Cardinals prospect OF Oscar Taveras (ankle) has been placed on the disabled list at Triple-A Memphis.
- Angels sent RHP Billy Buckner outright to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Astros recalled RHP Brad Peacock from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Angels placed LHP Sean Burnett on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 27, with left elbow inflammation.
- Yankees activated RHP Joba Chamberlain from the 15-day disabled list.
- Yankees designated LHP David Huff for assignment.
- Blue Jays designated RHP Ramon Ortiz for assignment.
- Blue Jays optioned RHP Thad Weber to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Red Sox activated LHP Franklin Morales from the 15-day disabled list.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Rays optioned RHP Jake Odorizzi to Triple-A Durham.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Alex Wilson to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Mets prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler allowed five runs (three earned) over four innings in his latest start with Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Marlins 1B Joe Mahoney (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment at High-A Jupiter later this week.
- Marlins 2B Donovan Solano (intercostal) will begin a rehab assignment at High-A Jupiter later this week.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison (knee) could be activated from the disabled list the week of June 9.
- Marlins SP Nathan Eovaldi (shoulder) could rejoin the Marlins' rotation as soon as June 9.
- Cubs RP Arodys Vizcaino has been ruled out for the season after recently undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow to address a calcium buildup.
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper (knee) is not expected to play in the Nationals' upcoming two-game set in Baltimore.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa (wrist) is aiming to play Wednesday.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth (hamstring) will resume his rehab assignment at High-A Potomac.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) is tentatively scheduled to make four rehab starts.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Monday.
- Brewers 1B Corey Hart (knee) said the Brewers' medical staff is "waiting for the running stuff to get better" before he's cleared to begin a rehab assignment.
- Padres SP Joe Wieland (elbow) is scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday.
- Pirates SP James McDonald (shoulder) allowed three runs on two hits and four walks over just 2/3 of an inning in his first rehab start with Double-A Altoona Monday.
- Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak is hopeful of SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) beginning a rehab assignment "in a week or two."
- Cardinals SP John Gast has been diagnosed with a strained left lat.
- An MRI on Giants OF Angel Pagan's right hamstring showed bursitis.
- A CT scan taken of Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill's left hand Tuesday showed that it was "mildly improved" as compared to the last scan.
- Twins SP Vance Worley threw a five-hit shutout Monday in his first start with Triple-A Rochester.
- Indians RP Chris Perez was diagnosed with mild tendonitis of his right rotator cuff following an MRI and will not throw for 5-7 days.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow left Tuesday's start against the Braves after two innings due to right forearm tightness.
- Rays SP David Price (triceps) played catch Tuesday at Tropicana Field for the second consecutive day.
- Yankees C Francisco Cervelli had the pins removed from his right hand on Friday and hopes to resume baseball activities within a week.
- Twins OF Wilkin Ramirez (concussion) is still not feeling 100 percent.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said the club will make a decision soon on whether or not to place 3B Brett Lawrie (ankle) on the disabled list.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Trenton Wednesday.
- Orioles 3B Wilson Betemit (knee) began throwing on Tuesday.
- Orioles C Taylor Teagarden (thumb) caught five innings in an extended spring training game.
- Indians SP Brett Myers (elbow) has been shut down 5-7 days.
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz (collarbone) has been cleared to start Friday night against the Yankees.
- Mariners OF Michael Morse is day-to-day after being diagnosed with a strained right quad.
- Orioles manager Buck Showalter said SP Kevin Gausman remains in line to start on Sunday against the Tigers.
- Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Tuesday that he's hopeful OF Austin Jackson (hamstring) can begin a rehab assignment by the end of this weekend.
- Athletics OF Josh Reddick (wrist) will play the outfield in his second rehab game with High-A Stockton on Tuesday before returning to the designated hitter role on Wednesday.
- Royals SP John Lamb has touched 91 mph but has been working in the 86-88 mph range with his fastball this season at High-A Wilmington.
- Royals OF Jarrod Dyson (ankle) was cleared to do some jogging prior to Tuesday's game.
Notes and Rumors:
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that RP Jeremy Affeldt will handle most of the eighth inning duties while Santiago Casilla (knee) is sidelined.
- Nationals SP Nate Karns will get another start on Sunday in Atlanta.
- Phillies SP Carlos Zambrano threw 4 2/3 scoreless innings on three hits and two walks in his first outing for High-A Clearwater on Tuesday.
- Angels SP Tommy Hanson could start Friday against the Astros.
- The Royals have afforded RP Greg Holland just two save chances in May.
- Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com reports that the Red Sox will recall OF Jackie Bradley prior to Wednesday's game.
- The White Sox will consider bringing back SP Chris Sale on short rest to start Saturday following Tuesday's rainout.
- Tigers OF Torii Hunter will miss games on Friday and Saturday in order to attend his son's high school graduation.