Probable Pitchers for May 24, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
- Cubs SP Edwin Jackson fell to 1-7 on the season giving up four runs and six hits over 3 innings in a rain shortened outing.
- Pirates SP Jeanmar Gomez was doing pitching well but had his start cut short due to rain. Gomez allowed one run and three hits over 3.2 innings.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte continued his breakout season going 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a walk and a stolen base.
- Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen had a big day going 3-for-4 with two RBI, a run scored and two stolen bases.
- Cubs got RBI's from 1B Anthony Rizzo and Pinch Hitter Ryan Sweeney.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli notched his NL leading 19th save.
- Angels SP Joe Blanton picked up his 1st win of the year going 6.1 innings allowing just two runs.
- Royals SP Ervin Santana got roughed up by his former team allowing five runs and eight hits over 7.2 innings in the loss.
- Angels RP Robert Coello picked up the save in relief of Ernesto Frieri who threw 35 pitches.
- Angels got homers from Albert Pujols, Chris Iannetta and Mark Trumbo.
- Angels OF Mike Trout continued his recent tear going 2-for-4 with a homer, two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Royals C Salvador Perez had three hits and an RBI in a losing effort.
- Royals got two hits each from Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain.
- Indians OF Drew Stubbs tripled, doubled twice and drove in three runs.
- Red Sox SP Ryan Dempster was pulled after giving up four runs in three innings.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn went 3-for-6 with a double and two RBI.
- Indians SP Zach McAllister permitted three runs on five hits and three walks over five frames.
- Indians 1B Mark Reynolds went 3-for-4 with a walk, the RBI and a run scored.
- Indians C Carlos Santana went 1-for-2 with four walks.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera's 14th home run & three RBI. Miggy's on pace for 198 RBI, which would set an MLB record.
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde worked a scoreless ninth inning, striking out two and earning his fifth save of the season.
- Tigers SP Rick Porcello was chased for five runs on 10 hits over five innings, but escaped with a no-decision.
- Twins OF Josh Willingham blasted two homers and collected four RBI.
- Twins SP Scott Diamond surrendered three runs on nine hits and a walk over 5 2/3 frames in a no-decision loss.
- Blue Jays C J.P. Arencibia went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBI in Thursday's 12-6 win over the Orioles.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow yielded six runs in seven innings and allowed three home runs.
- Making his major league debut, Orioles SP Kevin Gausman yielded four runs in five innings.
- Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion smacked a grand slam in the sixth inning.
- Orioles 3B Manny Machado went 3-for-4 with three doubles and two RBI.
- Marlins released RHP Jon Rauch.
- Reds signed RHP Trevor Bell to a minor league contract; assigned him to Triple-A Louisville.
- Padres optioned RHP Burch Smith to Triple-A Tucson.
- Phillies recalled RHP Michael Stutes from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies purchased the contract of INF/OF Michael Martinez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies placed 2B Chase Utley on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 21, with a mild oblique strain.
- Mariners optioned C Jesus Montero to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Mariners purchased the contract of C Jesus Sucre from Triple-A Tacoma.
- Athletics activated SS Hiroyuki Nakajima from the 15-day disabled list; optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Ranges released RHP Derek Lowe.
- Rangers signed INF Mark Teahen to a minor league contract.
- Red Sox signed LHP Rafael Perez to a minor league contract.
- Orioles designated RHP Alex Burnett for assignment.
- Orioles purchased the contract of RHP Kevin Gausman from Double-A Bowie.
- Orioles optioned RHP Jake Arrieta to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Royals recalled RHP Louis Coleman from Triple-A Omaha.
- Royals optioned RHP Kelvin Herrera to Triple-A Omaha.
- Yankees 2B Alberto Gonzalez has accepted an assignment to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox have placed infielder Angel Sanchez (back) on waivers.
- Indians recalled LHP Scott Barnes from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians designated LHP David Huff for assignment.
- Twins purchased the contract of RHP P.J. Walters from Triple-A Rochester.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton took live batting practice Wednesday for the first time since straining his right hamstring.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison (knee) will shift his rehab assignment to Double-A Jacksonville on Monday.
- Marlins 1B Joe Mahoney (hamstring) is expected to begin playing in rehab games Sunday at Triple-A New Orleans.
- Phillies RP Mike Adams (back) is scheduled to make an appearance in a minor league rehab game Monday.
- An MRI of Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton's left elbow revealed no structural damage.
- Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by a high-ranking team official that prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler is expected make 2-3 more starts with Triple-A Las Vegas before joining the Mets.
- Phillies SP Carlos Zambrano allowed one (unearned) run over four innings Thursday at extended spring training.
- Cubs prospect OF Albert Almora went 3-for-4 with a double in his first game Wednesday with Low-A Kane County.
- Nationals RP Christian Garcia (forearm) is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend with Double-A Harrisburg.
- Cardinals RP Fernando Salas received a shot Thursday to help the inflammation in his right shoulder.
- 3B Matt Dominguez (quad) is expected to return to the Astros' starting lineup on Friday evening.
- Orioles prospect SP Brandon Kline (ankle) has been placed on the disabled list with Low-A Delmarva.
- Blue Jays prospect SP Sean Nolin is expected to start Friday against the Orioles.
- Red Sox C David Ross (concussion) will begin a rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Portland.
- Yankees SP Ivan Nova (triceps) could be activated from the disabled list early next week.
- Twins OF Darin Mastroianni underwent surgery Thursday to repair bone chips on his left ankle.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) could begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday with Double-A Trenton.
- Yankees RP Joba Chamberlain (oblique) is scheduled to throw two inning Saturday in extended spring training.
- Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday that 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) is "maybe a week" away from being activated.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson (hamstring) is unlikely be activated from the disabled list when he's eligible Monday.
- Yankees SP Michael Pineda (shoulder) threw five innings Thursday in a start at extended spring training.
- Orioles 3B Wilson Betemit (knee) will begin light baseball activities next week.
- Orioles C Taylor Teagarden (thumb) is slated to start catching live batting practice and hitting off coaches Thursday in Sarasota, Florida.
- Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks is considered day-to-day with lower back spasms.
- Blue Jays RP Darren Oliver said Thursday that he's dealing with a sore pitching shoulder for the last 7-10 days.
- Tigers RP Octavio Dotel (elbow) threw a bullpen session Thursday.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said RP Kevin Jepsen (triceps) is "close" to rejoining the bullpen.
- Twins SS Pedro Florimon Jr. left Thursday's game against the Tigers with a right index finger sprain.
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said SP Jered Weaver (elbow) will rejoin the rotation next week as long as his between-starts bullpen session goes well.
- Indians SP Brett Myers (elbow) will make at least one more rehab start.
- Indians RP Josh Tomlin (Tommy John surgery) could return near the end of the season.
Notes and Rumors:
- Phillies OF Darin Ruf could be called up this weekend.
- A source told Andy Martino of the New York Daily News that the Mets could demote 1B Ike Davis after this weekend's three-game series against the Braves.
- Dodgers RP Ronald Belisario sits on a 3.22 ERA through 23 appearances.
- Brewers C Martin Maldonado has regressed at the plate in 2013, slashing .184/.253/.303 over 83 plate appearances.
- Phillies RP Antonio Bastardo has a 2.35 ERA through 19 appearances despite a mediocre 1.43 WHIP.
- Nationals RP Tyler Clippard hasn't allowed a run in May.
- Giants 3B Joaquin Arias has been one of baseball's worst hitters, slashing .205/.262/.205 through 43 plate appearances.
- Phillies RP Jeremy Horst has not carried over his success from 2012, posting a 5.09 ERA and 1.58 WHIP over 17 2/3 innings.
- Rockies RP Adam Ottavino boasts a 2.01 ERA over 22 1/3 relief innings for the Rockies.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that left-hander Rafael Perez is expected to sign with the Red Sox.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons confirmed Thursday that Sean Nolin will start Friday against the Orioles.
- White Sox C Josh Phegley is batting .333/.400/.651 with 10 home runs and 28 RBI through 34 games at Triple-A Charlotte.
- Over 19 relief appearances, Mariners RP Charlie Furbush owns a 4.42 ERA in 18 1/3 innings.
- RP Jason Frasor has tallied a 3.65 ERA through 17 appearances in his first season for the Rangers.
- Blue Jays RP Aaron Loup has been a bright spot in Toronto's bullpen, tallying a 2.55 ERA and 1.18 WHIP over 24 2/3 innings.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now