Probable Pitchers for May 22, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
- Cardinals 2B Daniel Descalso went 3-for-3 with his first career grand slam and an RBI double.
- Cardinals OF Carlos Beltran went 2-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Cardinals SP Adam Wainwright allowed one run and four hits in 7 1/3 innings to pick up his sixth win.
- Padres SP Edinson Volquez allowed five runs and eight hits in 6 innings for the loss.
- Padres RP Anthony Bass was charged with four runs in his second inning of work.
- Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko went 3-for-4 with an RBI.
(28-18) Reds – 4 at 0 – Mets (17-26)
- Brewers RP Jim Henderson earned his ninth save of the season.
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke allowed five earned runs in four innings.
- Brewers SP Hiram Burgos allowed two runs and six hits over 3.1 innings in a no decision.
- Brewers C Jonathan Lucroy went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored.
- Dodgers 2B Skip Schumaker went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Diamondbacks SP Ian Kennedy gave up three runs and seven hits over 6 innings in a no decision.
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin went 6.1 innings allowing three runs and three hits in a no decision.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Rockies C Wilin Rosario went 2-for-4 and knocked in the winning run in the 10th inning.
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval hit a walkoff homer off Yunesky Maya in the 10th inning.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg pitched seven innings of one-run ball, striking out seven, in a no-decision.
- Nationals RP Rafael Soriano took his third blown save after giving up a run in the ninth.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa went hitless in a fourth straight game, leaving him with a .159 average in 139 at-bats.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez registered another quality start, allowing three runs over six frames.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza was scoreless in his season debut allowing one hit and three walks over five innings.
- Pirates OF Travis Snider launched a pinch-hit grand slam.
- Cubs 2B Darwin Barney went 4-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Athletics SP Dan Straily was scoreless over seven innings allowing just two hits.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes hit his ninth homer of the year.
- Rangers SP Yu Darvish allowed just one run over six innings but took the loss.
- Athletics RP Grant Balfour pitched a scoreless ninth inning to preserve the win.
- White Sox RP Addison Reed picked up his 16th save.
- White Sox OF Alex Rios went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Red Sox SP Felix Doubront allowed two runs over six innings but took the loss.
- White Sox SP Jose Quintana was scoreless through 6 1/3 innings and allowed just three hits and two walks while striking out five.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez made up for lost time in his return from the disabled list, allowing two runs over seven frames in a 3-2 win.
- Yankees SP Phil Hughes allowed two runs over six innings but left with a no-decision.
- Orioles OF Chris Dickerson had an infield single and a pair of solo homers.
- Yankees DH Travis Hafner had a pair of RBI singles.
- Braves C Brian McCann went 3-for-4 with a home run in an extra-innings win.
- Braves C Evan Gattis hit his ninth home run of the season.
- Braves SP Tim Hudson allowed two runs over five innings in a no decision.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey went just 2 innings giving up two runs and four hits.
- Twins got two hits each from C Joe Mauer, 1B Justin Morneau, OF Ryan Doumit and SS Pedro Florimon.
- Cubs designated RHP Michael Bowden for assignment.
- Cubs activated RHP Matt Garza from the disabled list.
- Pirates optioned RHP Jered Hughes from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates activated RHP Jose Contreras from the bereavement list.
- Cubs claimed RHP Eduardo Sanchez off waivers from the Cardinals; assigned him to Triple-A Iowa.
- Giants placed RHP Santiago Casilla on the 15-day disabled list with a cyst on his right knee.
- Giants placed RHP Ryan Vogelsong on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured right hand.
- Giants recalled RHP Sandy Rosario from Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants recalled 1B Brett Pill from Triple-A Fresno.
- Phillies recalled RHP Tyler Cloyd from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Phillies placed C Carlos Ruiz on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 20, with a right hamstring strain.
- Nationals purchased the contract of LHP Fernando Abad from Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals recalled RHP Yunesky Maya from Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals optioned OF Eury Perez to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Nationals placed RHP Ryan Mattheus on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 20, with a fractured right hand.
- Blue Jays' top prospect SP Aaron Sanchez was placed on the 7-day minor league disabled on Monday.
- Athletics sent 1B Daric Barton outright to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Orioles activated RHP Miguel Gonzalez from the 15-day disabled list.
- Orioles optioned RHP Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Yankees sent INF Alberto Gonzalez outright to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Angels sent OF Scott Cousins outright to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Rangers activated C A.J. Pierzynski from the 15-day disabled list.
- Blue Jays released RHP Miguel Batista.
- Angels optioned RHP Ryan Brasier to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Angels activated LHP Sean Burnett from the 15-day disabled list.
- Indians placed 1B Nick Swisher on the paternity leave list.
- Indians recalled INF Cord Phelps from Triple-A Columbus.
- Rangers purchased the contract of LHP Neal Cotts from Triple-A Round Rock.
- Marlins prospect left-hander Andrew Heaney allowed an unearned run on four hits and two walks while registering nine strikeouts over 4 1/3 innings for High-A Jupiter on Monday.
- Marlins 1B Logan Morrison (knee) went 2-for-5 with a pair of singles Monday in his first rehab game with High-A Jupiter.
- Braves RP Jordan Walden (shoulder) will not be ready to be activated from the disabled list next Monday.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) didn't throw off a mound Tuesday as hoped.
- Rockies RP Rafael Betancourt is considered day-to-day after being diagnosed with a tight right groin.
- Dodgers SP Josh Beckett (groin) threw on flat ground prior to Tuesday's game.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (hamstring) ran in the outfield prior to Tuesday's game.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) is scheduled to face live hitters on Friday.
- Brewers RP Tom Gorzelanny (shoulder) is expected to be activated from the disabled list on Friday.
- Giants RP Santiago Casilla will have the cyst on his right knee examined by a specialist on Wednesday.
- Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill will have his left hand examined by a doctor next Monday.
- Royals C Salvador Perez has been diagnosed with a deep right hip bruise and is considered day-to-day.
- Rangers SP Nick Tepesch has been scratched from his Wednesday start due to a blister on his right middle finger.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson (triceps) allowed one run over three innings Monday in his first minor league rehab start with High-A Dunedin.
- Red Sox prospect right-hander Rubby De La Rosa was scratched from Tuesday's start with Triple-A Pawtucket for precautionary reasons after he tweaked a muscle in his side.
- Orioles OF Adam Jones is dealing with some right leg soreness.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said he has considered moving OF Jacoby Ellsbury out of the leadoff spot.
- Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe left Tuesday's game in the 10th inning after taking a knee to the head.
- An X-ray on Athletics SS Jed Lowrie's right foot came back clean.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson (triceps) will make at least two more rehab starts.
- Tigers RP Octavio Dotel (elbow) has resumed throwing.
- Athletics SS Hiroyuki Nakajima (hamstring) is expected to be added to the major league roster when his 20-day rehab window expires on Wednesday.
- Athletics 2B Jemile Weeks has been playing some shortstop at Triple-A Sacramento.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) took three at-bats in an extended spring training game on Tuesday.
- Rangers SP Alexi Ogando (biceps) has been playing catch but said he is only throwing around "40 percent."
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia said it's possible SP Jered Weaver (elbow) could be activated after his appearance at extended spring training on Wednesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that SP Samuel Deduno will be called up from Triple-A Rochester to start Friday's game against the Tigers.
- Rangers RP Ross Wolf will be recalled from Triple-A Round Rock on Wednesday to start against the A's.
- Orioles manager Buck Showalter said either T.J. McFarland or Jake Arrieta will start on Thursday in Toronto.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles will call up SP Kevin Gausman to make his major league debut on Thursday against the Blue Jays.
- The Blue Jays are considering calling up pitching prospect Sean Nolin to start on Friday against the Orioles.
- White Sox RP Hector Santiago will get the start Wednesday in place of the injured SP Chris Sale (shoulder).
- Angels SP Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times speculates that Joe Blanton could lose his rotation spot when Jered Weaver returns from the disabled list
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now