Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 16, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(16-22) Brewers – 1 at 3 – Pirates (23-17)
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez spun seven innings of one-run ball.
- Brewers SP Yovani Gallardo allowed just three hits and two runs over six innings, but two of his four walks came back to bite him in a loss.
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker drove in two runs with a single.
- Brewers 2B Rickie Weeks launched a solo homer.
- Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija allowed two runs over eight innings and also contributed a two-run homer.
- Rockies 2B Josh Rutledge went 3-for-4 with two RBI.
- Cubs OF David DeJesus went 2-for-3 with his fifth home run as the Cubs beat the Rockies on Wednesday.
- Rockies SP Jon Garland allowed three runs over five innings.
- Diamondbacks 3B Eric Chavez delivered an RBI single and a two-run double.
- Despite surrendering a double in the ninth, Diamondbacks RP Heath Bell picked up his second save in two days Wednesday against the Braves.
- Braves 1B Freddie Freeman went 3-for-5 with two doubles to drive in all three runs.
- Mariners OF Raul Ibanez hit two home runs and tallied six RBI.
- Yankees OF Vernon Wells hit his 10th home run of the season.
- Mariners 3B Kyle Seager homered and had three RBI.
- Yankees SP Phil Hughes surrendered seven runs in 2/3 of an inning.
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma allowing two runs in seven innings to pick up his fifth win of the season.
- Tigers OF Matt Tuiasosopo went 3-for-3 with an RBI before being removed for pinch-hitter Don Kelly in the ninth.
- Tigers OF Avisail Garcia hit his first major league homer off Dallas Keuchel.
- Astros C Carlos Corporan homered and doubled.
- Astros OF J.D. Martinez hit a three-run homer off Max Scherzer.
- White Sox 1B Adam Dunn homered twice, doubled and knocked in five runs.
- White Sox SP Dylan Axelrod finally notched his first win after allowing three runs and nine hits in 5 1/3 innings.
- White Sox OF Dayan Viciedo went 2-for-4 with a homer and two RBI.
- Twins 2B Jamey Carroll went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
- Royals SP Wade Davis went 5.1 innings for the win allowing four runs and nine hits.
- Angels RP Barry Enright, filling in for SP Tommy Hanson, got lit up in a spot start giving up four runs on five hits in just 2 innings.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon went 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Royals OF Lorenzo Cain went 2-for-5 with three RBI, two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Angels OF Mike Trout hit his 8th homer of the year.
- Padres 2B Alexi Amarista homered, doubled twice and scored three times.
- Facing the team that released him this spring, Orioles SP Freddy Garcia gave up four runs in 3 2/3 innings in a losing effort.
- Starting for the first time in five days, Padres OF Kyle Blanks homered and walked.
- Orioles 3B Manny Machado went 4-for-5 with three doubles.
- Indians 2B Jason Kipnis went 3-for-4 with a three-run homer, a walk and three runs scored.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber surrendered three runs in six innings.
- Phillies SP Cole Hamels yielded five runs and two homers in five innings.
- Playing in his 14th game since returning from a suspension, Phillies C Carlos Ruiz went 2-for-4 and drove in his first run of the season on Wednesday.
- CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Brewers are calling up reliever Francisco Rodriguez.
- Marlins released RHP David Aardsma.
- Pirates recalled INF Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates placed INF John McDonald on the 15-day disabled list with lower back discomfort.
- Phillies signed RHP Carlos Zambrano to a minor league contract.
- Padres released RHP Fautino De Los Santos.
- Dodgers signed LHP Jonathan Sanchez to a minor league contract; assigned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers activated RHP Zack Greinke from the 15-day disabled list.
- Dodgers placed RHP Josh Beckett on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 14, with a left groin strain.
- Brewers transferred INF Taylor Green from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Brewers optioned C/INF Blake Lalli to Triple-A Nashville.
- Yankees optioned INF Corban Joseph to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees designated INF Chris Nelson for assignment.
- Yankees purchased the contract of INF David Adams from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Athletics activated OF Coco Crisp from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rangers signed RHP Scott Richmond to a minor league contract.
- Astros sent RHP Philip Humber outright to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Athletics optioned OF Michael Taylor to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Phillies RP Mike Adams had a setback Tuesday while playing to catch and was given a cortisone injection in his back.
- Mets SP Zack Wheeler was cleared of any structural damage in his clavicle Wednesday during a visit with team doctors.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto (lat, oblique) has been cleared to return to the Reds' rotation on Monday in New York.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth (hamstring) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday with High-A Potomac.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said OF Bryce Harper (shoulder, knee) would "probably" undergo more tests at some point because of nausea.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy (elbow) will make his first official minor league rehab start Sunday with Triple-A Gwinnett.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) hopes to resume throwing on Friday.
- Braves prospect right-hander J.R. Graham will get a second opinion on his right shoulder from a specialist in Atlanta.
- Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (shoulder/neck) had another successful bullpen session on Wednesday.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler left Wednesday's start after three innings with an apparent injury.
- Nationals C Wilson Ramos left Wednesday's game in the fourth inning with an apparent leg injury.
- Mets RP Tim Byrdak (shoulder) threw a bullpen session Tuesday.
- Brewers RP Chris Narveson (finger) threw a bullpen session over the weekend in Cincinnati and is scheduled for another one while the Brewers are in Pittsburgh.
- Brewers 1B Corey Hart (knee) is unlikely to return from the disabled list on May 30 when first eligible.
- Padres 2B Logan Forsythe (foot) will not begin baseball activities this week.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez (thumb) is officially scheduled to throw a simulated game on Friday afternoon.
- An MRI taken Wednesday on Blue Jays OF Melky Cabrera's right quad and left hamstring showed mild irritation.
- Yankees DH Travis Hafner (shoulder) hopes to return to the starting lineup Thursday.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said during an appearance on WEEI that RP Andrew Bailey (biceps) will come off the disabled list by Monday at the latest.
- Athletics OF Chris Young (quad) will play a minor league rehab game Thursday with Triple-A Sacramento.
- Athletics SP Brett Anderson (ankle) isn't sure when he'll be ready to come off the disabled list.
- Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said Wednesday that OF Darin Mastroianni didn't feel comfortable while testing his left ankle with light sprints.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) hopes to begin a rehab assignment Saturday with Triple-A Charlotte.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) said Tuesday that he expects to be back with the Yankees by June 1.
- Mariners OF Franklin Gutierrez (hamstring) is expected to begin a rehab assignment on Thursday or Friday.
- Rays manager Joe Maddon said an MRI on SP David Price's left triceps showed "nothing serious," but he added that the lefty would likely miss at least one start.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) hit off a tee and took soft-toss on Wednesday.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) is aiming to return from the disabled list on May 30 or 31.
- Mariners manager Eric Wedge said SP Felix Hernandez is "feeling good" a day after leaving his start against the Yankees early after tweaking his back.
- Red Sox RP Franklin Morales (back, pectoral) is expected to make at least two more rehab starts before being activated from the disabled list.
- Royals OF Jarrod Dyson left Wednesday's game in the eighth inning with a sprained right ankle.
Notes and Rumors:
- Padres C Yasmani Grandal will begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with Triple-A Tucson.
- Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw will make his next start next Monday against the Brewers.
- Cardinals SP John Gast will get another start on Sunday against the Brewers.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy said SP Ryan Vogelsong is not guaranteed to take his scheduled turn in the rotation on Monday.
- Dodgers SP Matthew Magill will start Sunday against the Braves in place of the injured Josh Beckett (groin).
- Padres manager Bud Black said SP Tyson Ross will rejoin the rotation once his left shoulder is healed.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now