Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 13, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Cubs SP Scott Feldman allowed one run over six innings in a no decision.
- Nationals SP Gio Gonzalez tossed seven scoreless innings in a no decision.
- Cubs RP Kevin Gregg notched his 6th save of the season.
- Cubs SS Starlin Castro went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
- Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-4 with and RBI and a stolen base.
(15-20) Brewers – 1 at 5 – Reds (22-16)
- Reds SP Bronson Arroyo had his stuff working, tossing 6 2/3 scoreless innings.
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta allowed four runs — three earned — on five hits and two walks over six innings.
- Reds OF Donald Lutz blasted his first major league homer, a three-run shot.
- Reds OF Xavier Paul launched his 2nd homer of the season.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli nailed down his 15th save with a perfect inning.
- Mets SP Matt Harvey pitched well again but was left with a no-decision, giving up two runs over seven innings in a loss.
- Pirates SP Jeanmar Gomez went 5 innings giving up just two hits and an earned run.
- Pirates SS Clint Barmes singled and smacked a solo homer.
- Mets OF Lucas Duda launched a solo homer.
- Phillies SP Kyle Kendrick gave up two runs on six hits over seven innings.
- Diamondbacks RP Heath Bell suffered a blown save.
- Diamondbacks SP Brandon McCarthy threw eight scoreless innings in a no-decision.
- Diamondbacks SS Didi Gregorius went 2-for-5 with a double and his first triple of the season in an extra-innings loss.
- Dodgers SP Chris Capuano allowed one run on five hits and had seven strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
- Marlins SP Tom Koehler allowed just two runs on seven hits over five innings in his first start of the season.
- Marlins 2B Derek Dietrich went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Dodgers SS Dee Gordon notched his 4th stolen base of the year.
- Marlins OF Justin Ruggiano hit his 7th homer of the season.
- Dodgers 1B Scott Van Slyke hit his 1st homer of the year.
- Indians SP Zach McAllister permitted three runs — two earned — on eight hits and three walks over six frames in an extra innings win.
- With Chris Perez unavailable, Indians RP Cody Allen nailed down his first career save by striking out the only batter he faced.
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde suffered his first blown save of the season, coughing up a one-run lead.
- Tigers SP Rick Porcello allowed two runs over six innings, but took a no-decision.
- Indians OF Michael Brantley went 2-for-4 with a game-tying RBI single.
- Tigers C Brayan Peña went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer.
- Mariners SP Joe Saunders gave up one earned run on five hits over 6 1/3 innings for the win.
- Athletics 1B Brandon Moss went 0-for-4 with four strikeouts.
- Athletics SP Tommy Milone allowed five runs on six hits and three walks over five innings.
- Athletics C Derek Norris went 1-for-3 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Mariners DH Kendrys Morales and OF Jason Bay both hit their 4th homers of the year in the win.
- Blue Jays OF Jose Bautista slugged two home runs.
- Red Sox SP Ryan Dempster was shelled for six earned runs in five innings.
- Making his season debut, Blue Jays SP Chad Jenkins pitched 5 innings of 2-run ball for the win.
- Blue Jays got homers from 2B Emilio Bonifacio, 1B Edwin Encarnacion and 3B Brett Lawrie.
- Angels SP C.J. Wilson allowed three runs and four walks over 6 2/3 innings.
- White Sox SP Chris Sale threw a complete game one-hitter.
- Angels OF Mike Trout got the clubs only hit and also stole a base.
- White Sox SS Alexei Ramirez had a big night going 3-for-4 with two RBI, a run scored and two steals.
- Yankees RP Mariano Rivera notched his 15th save of the season.
- Yankees 2B Robinson Cano slugged his 10th home run of the season.
- Yankees SP Hiroki Kuroda went 7.2 innings for the win allowing just two runs.
- Royals SP Ervin Santana gave up four runs and eight hits over 6.1 innings for the loss.
- Yankees OF Vernon Wells continued his strong season launching his 9th homer of the year while also stealing a base.
- Rangers SP Nick Tepesch went 6 innings for the win allowing just one run and four hits.
- Astros SP Jordan Lyles had a rough start giving up eight runs in just 4 innings.
- Rangers got homers from OF David Murphy, OF Leonys Martin and 3B Adrian Beltre.
- Astros got homers from C Jason Castro, 1B Chris Carter and OF Brandon Barnes.
- Rays 1B James Loney continued his hot hitting, going 2-for-4 with a homer.
- Rays SP Roberto Hernandez picked up the win giving up two runs over 6 innings.
- Padres SP Eric Stults allowed three runs and five hits over 5.1 innings in the loss.
- Rays RP Fernando Rodney picked up his 6th save of the year.
- Padres 2B Alexi Amarista hit his 2nd homer of the season.
- Marlins optioned C Kyle Skipworth to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins transferred OF Austin Kearns to the restricted list.
- The Pirates are expected to option INF Jordy Mercer to Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday.
- Reds sent C Corky Miller outright to Triple-A Louisville.
- Brewers RP Francisco Rodriguez has been promoted to Triple-A Nashville.
- Mets recalled RHP Greg Burke from Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Mets placed RHP Jeurys Familia on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 9, with right biceps tendinitis.
- Rockies recalled OF Charlie Blackmon from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies placed OF Michael Cuddyer on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 9, with an inflammed cervical disc.
- Rangers activated LHP Martin Perez from the 15-day disabled list; optioned him to Double-A Frisco.
- Red Sox recalled C Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Red Sox placed C David Ross on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion.
- Orioles recalled LHP Michael Belfiore from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Yankees transferred 1B Mark Teixeira from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Yankees purchased the contract of INF Alberto Gonzalez from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees placed SS Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 6, with a rib cage injury.
- Astros signed RHP Edgar Gonzalez.
- Astros designated RHP Philip Humber for assignment.
- Cardinals OF Prospect Oscar Taveras is day-to-day with a right ankle injury.
- Phillies RP Mike Adams is day-to-day with back spasms.
- The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review confirms Pirates 2B Neil Walker (hand) will be activated from the disabled list Monday.
- Pirates RP Jeanmar Gomez left Sunday's start against the Meta with left calf tightness.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy (elbow) will make a start in extended spring training on Tuesday.
- Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said SP Jake Westbrook (elbow) "should be ready" after two missed starts.
- Pirates SP Charlie Morton (elbow, shoulder) will resume his rehab assignment on Thursday at Double-A Altoona.
- Mets RP Frank Francisco will visit the doctor after feeling soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow Saturday.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) is slated to be activated from the disabled list on Friday.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza (lat) is expected to make two more rehab starts.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar (hamstring) is hoping to return to the Angels' lineup Monday.
- Orioles SP Jake Arrieta was scratched from his start at Triple-A Norfolk on Sunday with a right shoulder strain.
- Orioles SP Wei-Yin Chen left Sunday's start against the Twins with a right oblique strain.
- Athletics manager Bob Melvin wouldn't rule out OF Coco Crisp (hamstring) being activated from the disabled list on Wednesday, the first day he's eligible.
- Orioles RP Tsuyoshi Wada (elbow) will begin a rehab assignment on Thursday.
- Orioles 3B Wilson Betemit (knee) will not be ready for activation when eligible.
- It's possible Angels RP Ryan Madson (elbow) will be activated from the disabled list after a rehab appearance with High-A Inland Empire on Monday.
- Yankees RP Ivan Nova (triceps) felt pain in his left side while playing catch on Sunday.
- Yankees RP Joba Chamberlain (oblique) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Tuesday.
- Twins RP Glen Perkins (side) will be available out of the Twins' bullpen Sunday after throwing a bullpen session with no issues.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow (neck) had a successful bullpen session Sunday and said he should be fine to start on Wednesday.
- Mariners OF Franklin Gutierrez (hamstring) will run the bases prior to Sunday's game.
- Mariners RP Stephen Pryor (lat) resumed throwing this past week.
- Rays OF Desmond Jennings (groin) is hoping to return to the lineup on Tuesday.
Notes and Rumors:
- FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cubs have signed 1B Anthony Rizzo to a seven-year, $41 million extension.
- Cardinals SP John Gast will be called up to start on Tuesday against the Mets in place of the injured Jake Westbrook.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now