Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 6, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(16-15) Diamondbacks – 1 at 5
- Reds SP Mat Latos allowed three runs and six hits over 5 innings for the win.
- Cubs SP Edwin Jackson fell to 0-5 on the season allowing eight hits and four runs in 5 innings.
- Reds got RBI's from SS Zack Cozart, 1B Joey Votto, 2B Brandon Phillips and OF Jay Bruce.
- Reds 3B Todd Frazier went 2-for-3 with two RBI's and a run scored.
- Marlins SS Adeiny Hechavarria homered and tallied seven RBI.
- Marlins SP Kevin Slowey hurled seven scoreless innings.
- Phillies SP Roy Halladay coughed up nine earned runs in just 2 1/3 innings.
- Marlins OF Marcell Ozuna went 4-for-5 with three RBI's and three runs scored.
- Marlins OF Justin Ruggiano homered twice, his 5th and 6th bombs of the year.
(17-15) Nationals – 6 at 2 – Pirates (17-14)
- Nationals SP Gio Gonzalez allowed two earned runs in six innings for the win.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first inning.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa hit his 3rd homer of the year while 1B Tyler Moore hit his 1st.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez allowed three runs and six hits over 6 innings while striking out seven in the loss.
- Cardinals SP Jaime Garcia allowed just one run over eight innings in a four-game series sweep in Milwaukee.
- Brewers SP Marco Estrada was lit up for eight earned runs over 3 1/3 innings.
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday went 2-for-3 with three RBI's, three runs scored and a homerun.
- Cardinals 1B Allen Craig went 2-for-5 with four RBI's and a run scored.
- Giants SP Matt Cain allowed just one run on five hits over 7 1/3 innings for the win, his 1st of the year.
- Giants OF Hunter Pence went 2-for-4 with two doubles and four RBI's.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu struggled allowing four runs on eight hits over six innings for his second loss of the season.
- Dodgers SS Dee Gordon knocked in a run and stole his 3rd base of the season in 3 tries.
(13-14) Twins – 4 at 2 – Indians (14-14)
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey had his strongest start of the season, spinning six innings of one-run ball while striking out seve.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber labored through 5 2/3 innings, yielding three runs on five hits and four walks in a loss.
- Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe belted a two-run homer.
- Indians C Carlos Santana singled and launched a solo homer.
- Athletics SP Dan Straily wasn't sharp over 5 1/3 innings, giving up three runs, but he escaped with a no-decision.
- Athletics RP Grant Balfour converted his fifth save of the season with a scoreless inning.
- Yankees SP Andy Pettitte struggled for the second straight start, allowing four runs — three earned — on four hits and four walks over five frames.
- Athletics 3B Josh Donaldson's solo shot in the eighth inning lifted the Athletics to a victory.
- Yankees OF Ichiro Suzuki doubled in a run and also added a single and a walk.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow allowed two runs in eight innings for the win.
- Mariners SP Joe Saunders was shelled for seven earned runs over five innings.
- Blue Jays OF Emilio Bonifacio finally stole his 1st base of the season and ended up stealing another later in the game.
- Blue Jays OF Melky Cabrera went 3-for-4 and hit his 1st homer of the year.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester gave up five hits and three runs over 6 innings in a no decision.
- Rangers SP Yu Darvish allowed four hits and three runs while striking out fourteen over 7 innings in a no decision.
- OF Nelson Cruz and 1B Mitch Moreland hit homers for the Rangers.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz and C David Ross launched homeruns in a loss.
- Rangers RP Joe Nathan picked up his 1st win of the season in relief.
- Angels RP Jerome Williams gave up five runs and lasted just 4 1/3 innings.
- Orioles 3B Manny Machado went 1-for-4 with a home run.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel allowed four runs on nine hits over six innings for the win.
- Orioles SS J.J. Hardy blasted his 5th homer of the season.
- Angels OF Mike Trout had a nice day going 2-for-5 with a homer, two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon hit a walkoff RBI single in the extra-innings win.
- White Sox SP Jose Quintana went 5 innings allowing six hits and three runs in a no decision.
- Royals SP Wade Davis pitched well giving up just one run over six strong innings in a no decision.
- Royals RP Greg Holland picked up his 1st win of the year in relief.
- White Sox OF Alex Rios smashed his 7th homer of the season.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb was charged with three runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings for the win.
- Rockies 3B Nolan Arenado went 2-for-5 with a home run, his 3rd of the season.
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin allowed five runs on eight hits and three walks over seven innings.
- Rockies OF Michael Cuddyer and SS Troy Tulowitzki both hit their 7th homers of the year.
- Rays 1B James Loney went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
- Rays OF Kelly Johnson, C Jose Lobaton and 2B Ryan Roberts each knocked in a pair of runs.
- Braves optioned INF Tyler Pastornicky to Triple-A Gwinnett.
- Padres activated RHP Tyson Ross from the 15-day disabled list.
- Padres placed LHP Clayton Richard on the 15-day disabled list with an intestinal virus.
- Rockies activated RHP Jhoulys Chacin from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rockies optioned RHP Tyler Chatwood to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies activated 1B Todd Helton from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rockies optioned INF Ryan Wheeler to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Marlins sent INF Nick Green outright to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins recalled C Kyle Skipworth from Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins placed OF Austin Kearns on the bereavement list.
- Padres activated 3B/OF James Darnell from the 15-day disabled list, optioned him to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Brewers signed RHP Tim Dillard to a minor league contract.
- Yankees sent RHP Cody Eppley outright to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Twins released OF Brandon Boggs.
- Twins SP Samuel Deduno (groin) has been activated from the disabled list at Triple-A Rochester.
- Indians recalled LHP Scott Barnes from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians designated OF Ezequiel Carrera for assignment.
- Braves C Brian McCann (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list Monday against the Reds.
- Phillies SP Roy Halladay is likely headed to the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury.
- Braves 3B Juan Francisco (ankle) reported improvement Sunday but is not yet ready to play.
- The Pirates will slow down SP Charlie Morton's (elbow) rehab after he was diagnosed with tightness in his right shoulder and upper back.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth reported improvement with his right hamstring Sunday and is hoping to return to the lineup on Tuesday following Monday's off day.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn (hand) will play three games with Triple-A Columbus before being activated from the disabled list.
- Indians RP Vinnie Pestano (elbow) is expected to be available for Monday game against the Athletics.
- Yankees SS Eduardo Nunez (rib cage) is day-to-day after leaving Sunday's game against the Athletics.
- Angels RP Kevin Jepsen (triceps) could begin throwing off a mound this week.
- Angels RP Ryan Madson (elbow) could begin a rehab assignment this week.
- Tigers RP Phil Coke (groin) is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment Monday with Triple-A Toledo.
- White Sox manager Robin Ventura wouldn't rule out that SP Jake Peavy (back) might have to go on the disabled list.
- Orioles RP Tsuyoshi Wada (elbow) will make one more extended spring training start on Friday before beginning a rehab assignment.
- Red Sox RP Andrew Bailey will undergo an MRI on his injured right bicep on Monday.
- Twins SP Cole De Vries (forearm) will begin a rehab assignment with High-A Fort Myers on Sunday.
- Athletics OF Coco Crisp reported improvement with his left hamstring on Saturday.
- Athletics SS Hiroyuki Nakajima felt a little tightness in his left hamstring during his first game Friday.
- Angels RP Mark Lowe (neck) is set to be activated from the disabled list on Tuesday.
- Yankees OF Curtis Granderson (forearm) has been receiving reps at all three outfield spots.
- Mariners manager Eric Wedge said RP Stephen Pryor (lat) "is making good progress, but it’s still going to be a while."
- Mariners OF Franklin Gutierrez (hamstring) has yet to resume baseball activities.
- Astros OF Justin Maxwell will undergo an X-ray mid-week to determine how much his fractured left hand has healed.
- Indians SP Brett Myers (elbow) is hoping to resume throwing off a mound in a week.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) is expected to take live batting practice on the field Sunday.
- White Sox SP John Danks (shoulder) is expected to make 2-3 more rehab starts before rejoining the White Sox' rotation.
- Red Sox RP Craig Breslow (shoulder) is close to being activated from the disabled list.
Notes and Rumors:
- Nationals OF Bryce Harper was ejected from Sunday's game against the Pirates for arguing a checked-swing call.
- Astros manager Bo Porter said SP Erik Bedard will be moved to the bullpen "indefinitely."
- White Sox SP Chris Sale will start Monday against the Royals.
- White Sox manager Robin Ventura appears to be leaning towards keeping RP Hector Santiago in the rotation over Dylan Axelrod when John Danks (shoulder) returns from the disabled list.