Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 4, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
(15-14) Diamondbacks – 6 at 7 – Padres (12-17)
- Padres 1B Yonder Alonso went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer.
- Padres RP Huston Street recorded his seventh save despite giving up a three-run homer in the ninth inning.
- Diamondbacks OF Gerardo Parra hit a three-run homer off Huston Street in the loss.
- Diamondbacks C Miguel Montero went 2-for-3 with a homer, a walk and three runs scored.
- Reds OF Shin-Soo Choo went 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and two runs scored.
- Reds SP Mike Leake yielded two runs in 5 2/3 innings.
- After entering a 6-2 game in the ninth, Reds RP Aroldis Chapman allowed three runs in two-thirds of an inning and was pulled.
- Cubs 1B Anthony Rizzo collected three more hits, pushing his average up to .243.
- Phillies RP Jonathan Papelbon worked a perfect inning, preserving a three-run lead to earn his fifth save of the season.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley tallied a solo home run.
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone won his second consecutive start, allowing one run on five hits over 6 1/3 innings.
- Marlins 2B Donovan Solano swatted his first home run of the season in a losing effort.
- Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco served up three home runs, and allowed four runs on eight hits over six innings of work.
(15-15) Nationals – 1 at 3 – Pirates (17-12)
- Pirates SS Jordy Mercer blasted a two-run homer.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli slammed the door in the ninth inning, notching his major league-leading 12th save of the season.
- Pirates SP A.J. Burnett turned in another stellar performance, striking out nine.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa drove home his seventh run of the season with an RBI single in the fourth inning.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler struggled in a losing effort, allowing three runs on six hits over his five frames.
- Mets SS Ruben Tejada delivered a go-ahead RBI single.
- Braves RP Craig Kimbrel blew his second save of the season.
- Mets SP Shaun Marcum yielded three runs in 4 1/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Braves SP Mike Minor gave up three runs in seven innings in a no-decision.
- Mets C John Buck launched a two-run homer.
- Braves C Evan Gattis clubbed a solo homer.
- Giants C Buster Posey hit his first career walkoff homer in the bottom of the ninth.
- Giants SP Barry Zito allowed one run and six hits over 5 innings in a no decision.
- Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw allowed one run and three hits in seven innings.
- Giants RP Sergio Romo picked up his 2nd win of the year in relief.
(12-13) Twins – 6 at 7 – Indians (13-13) (10 Innings)
- Indians 2B Jason Kipnis went 2-for-4 with a triple and four RBI in an extra-innings victory.
- Indians OF Drew Stubbs tallied four hits, including a walk-off RBI double in the 10th inning.
- Indians SP Justin Masterson allowed five runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Twins 2B Brian Dozier had a nice night at the plate in an extra-inning loss, going 3-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base.
- Twins SP Pedro Hernandez struggled in a no-decision, surrendering five runs on eight hits over his 5 1/3 innings of work.
- Rangers SP Derek Holland struck out a season-high nine batters over eight shutout frames.
- Red Sox SP Felix Doubront was knocked around for a season-high six runs in 3 2/3 innings.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre had a big day at the dish, as he went 4-for-5 with three RBI and a run scored in a victory.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Red Sox OF Shane Victorino (back) went 1-for-4 with a single in his return to action Friday.
- Tigers C Alex Avila smashed a game-winning two-run homer in the ninth inning.
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde worked a scoreless ninth inning earning his third save of the season.
- Tigers SP Doug Fister turned in a quality start in a no-decision, surrendering three runs (two earned) on nine hits over six-plus innings of work.
- Astros RP Jose Veras served up a two-run homer to Alex Avila, blowing a save and taking a loss.
- Astros 2B Jose Altuve collected three hits in a losing effort.
- Astros SP Bud Norris delivered a strong performance in a no-decision, allowing only two runs on five hits over seven frames.
- Angels SP Jason Vargas hurled his fourth career shutout.
- Angels OF Mike Trout had a two-run homer and an RBI single.
- Angels OF Mark Trumbo blasted his 7th homer of the year.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez allowed three runs and six hits over 6 innings in the loss.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold went 0-for-4 from the leadoff spot.
- Rays 3B Evan Longoria delivered a go-ahead RBI single.
- Rays SP Matt Moore gave up a season-high four runs over five innings in a no-decision.
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis yielded four runs in five innings in a no-decision.
- Rockies OF Michael Cuddyer launched a two-run home run.
- Rays OF Desmond Jennings smacked a two-run homer.
- Dodgers activated LHP Clayton Kershaw from the bereavement list.
- Dodgers placed LHP Ted Lilly on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 30, with a right rib cage injury.
- Giants optioned C Hector Sanchez to Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants recalled OF Francisco Peguero from Triple-A Fresno.
- Pirates recalled INF Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates placed 2B Neil Walker on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 27, with a laceration on his right hand.
- MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports that the Reds returned INF/OF Mark Teahen to the Diamondbacks due to an issue with his physical.
- Cubs activated 3B Ian Stewart from the 15-day disabled list, optioned him to Triple-A Iowa.
- Giants activated LHP Jeremy Affeldt from the 15-day disabled list.
- Pirates optioned RHP Jared Hughes to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates purchased the contract of RHP Jose Contreras from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Mets purchased the contract of OF Andrew Brown from Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Mets optioned OF Collin Cowgill to Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Nationals optioned 3B Anthony Rendon to Double-A Harrisburg.
- Nationals activated 3B Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list.
- Phillies sent C Humberto Quintero outright to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Cardinals transferred SS Rafael Furcal from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Carlos Martinez from Double-A Springfield.
- Cardinals optioned RHP Mitchell Boggs to Triple-A Memphis.
- Giants optioned RHP Sandy Rosario to Triple-A Fresno.
- Rays sent OF/DH Shelley Duncan outright to Triple-A Durham.
- Angels optioned INF Andrew Romine to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Angels activated 3B Alberto Callaspo from the 15-day disabled list.
- Yankees designated RHP Cody Eppley for assignment.
- Yankees purchased the contract of RHP Preston Claiborne from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Blue Jays recalled LHP Ricky Romero from High-A Dunedin.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez was diagnosed with a left hamstring injury.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler was diagnosed with right hip flexor soreness and is considered day-to-day.
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers said Friday that 2B Aaron Hill's injured hand is taking longer than expected to heal.
- Braves 3B Juan Francisco was diagnosed with a mild right ankle sprain and is considered day-to-day.
- 2B Mark Ellis (quad) will be heading to the disabled list if he's unable to return to the Dodgers lineup before Monday.
- Dodgers RP Chris Capuano (calf) is expected to return from the disabled list to start on Monday against the Diamondbacks.
- Dodgers OF Carl Crawford stated Friday that he hopes to avoid a trip to the disabled list, despite a recent MRI revealing a minor hamstring strain.
- Padres OF Cameron Maybin had the splint removed from his right wrist on Friday.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly (rib cage) will not make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Giants.
- Rockies SP Jhoulys Chacin (back) is on track to be activated from the disabled list to start Sunday against the Rays.
- Rockies 1B Todd Helton (forearm) is on track to be activated from the disabled list Sunday.
- Giants 2B Tony Abreu (quad) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday with Triple-A Fresno.
- Braves C Brian McCann (shoulder) will serve as the designated hitter Friday with Triple-A Gwinnett.
- Cardinals RP Jason Motte will undergo Tommy John surgery on his right elbow early next week.
- Diamondbacks SS Didi Gregorius (concussion) passed all necessary tests and is expected to be activated from the 7-day disabled list Saturday.
- Pirates SP Jeff Karstens (shoulder) is scheduled to pitch in extended spring training on Monday.
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said that OF Jayson Werth (hamstring) is expected to miss the entire weekend series against the Pirates.
- Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said Friday that OF Jose Tabata (hamstring) will likely be limited over the next couple of days.
- Reds SP Mat Latos (hip) has been cleared to make his scheduled start on Sunday.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto (lat) is dealing with soreness in his right oblique.
- Rockies SP Roy Oswalt is expected to make 2-3 starts at extended spring training before likely being assigned to Double-A Tulsa.
- The Cubs are expected to activate 3B Ian Stewart (quad) from the disabled list and option him to Triple-A Iowa.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza (lat) could be activated as soon as the May 17-19 series against the Mets.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez (thumb) could miss his next scheduled start.
- Orioles 1B Chris Davis will undergo an MRI on his right knee on Saturday.
- Athletics SS Hiroyuki Nakajima (hamstring) went 2-for-4 with an RBI in his first minor league rehab game with Triple-A Sacramento on Friday.
- Orioles RP Tsuyoshi Wada (elbow) will throw five innings in an extended spring start on on Saturday.
- Indians 1B Nick Swisher (shoulder) is expected to return to the Indians starting lineup on Saturday.
- Tigers RP Octavio Dotel (elbow) will not return from the disabled list when he's first eligible on May 4.
- Red Sox RP Andrew Bailey (biceps) threw off flat ground Friday.
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy (back) could start Monday's makeup game against the Royals.
- Twins OF Darin Mastroianni will keep his left foot in a walking boot for another week.
- USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that White Sox SP Gavin Floyd "tentatively" plans to have Tommy John surgery.
- Indians SP Brett Myers (elbow) was cleared by a doctor on Friday to begin playing catch.
- The Angels could place RP Scott Downs (side) on the disabled list.
Notes and Rumors:
- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson gave J.J. Putz a vote of confidence on Friday, maintaining that despite his recent struggles he will remain the closer.