Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 3, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Phillies SP Kyle Kendrick pitched seven innings of two-run ball for the win.
- Phillies OF Domonic Brown went 3-for-4 with a homer and an RBI single.
- Marlins OF Juan Pierre swiped his 600th career base.
- Phillies 1B Ryan Howard hit his 4th homer of the year.
- Marlins SP Alex Sanabia allowed six hits and four runs — two earned — over 5 innings in the loss.
- Marlins OF Justin Ruggiano hit his 4th bomb of the season.
- Cubs SP Travis Wood gave up three runs and four hits over 7.2 innings while taking the loss.
- Padres SP Eric Stults gave up two runs and seven hits over 6.2 innings in a no decision.
- Cubs OF Scott Hairston hit his 3rd homer of the year.
- Padres got RBI's from 1B Yonder Alonso, SS Everth Cabrera and 3B Chase Headley.
- Padres RP Luke Gregerson picked up his 6th hold of the year while lowering his ERA to 1.35.
- Padres RP Huston Street picked up his 6th save of the year.
- Cardinals SP Jake Westbrook pitched 6 innings and allowed one run for the win.
- Cardinals RP Mitchell Boggs walked both batters he faced before being pulled from the game. His ERA stands at 12.66
- Brewers SP Wily Peralta was tagged for six runs in 4 1/3 innings in the loss.
- Back in the lineup after two days off, Cardinals 3B David Freese went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez went 2-for-4 with and RBI, run scored and two stolen bases.
- Cardinals RP Edward Mujica picked up his 7th save of the year.
(15-14) Nationals – 3 at 1 – Braves (17-11)
- Nationals SP Dan Haren allowed one run and four hits over 8 innings for the win.
- Braves SP Kris Medlen gave up three runs and seven hits over 7 innings in the loss.
- Nationals RP Rafael Soriano notched his 9th save of the season.
- Nationals OF Denard Span went 3-for-4 with a couple of doubles and two RBI.
- Braves OF B.J. Upton went hitless in a fourth straight game, lowering his average to .134.
(20-8) Red Sox – 3 at 1 – Blue Jays (10-19)
- Tigers OF Don Kelly singled in the go-ahead run in the top of the 14th.
- Tigers SP Rick Porcello gave up three runs in seven innings while striking out seven in a no decision.
- Making his 2013 debut for the Astros, SP Jordan Lyles allowed two runs in five innings.
- Astros 3B Matt Dominguez went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson went 3-for-7 with 2 runs scored and four strikeouts.
- Astros C Jason Castro hit his 2nd homer while DH Carlos Pena hit his 3rd.
- C Tyler Flowers hit a three-run homer off Justin Grimm in the sixth inning to give the White Sox all of their runs.
- White Sox RP Hector Santiago recorded his first win after allowing one run and two hits in 5 1/3 innings.
- Rangers SP Justin Grimm surrendered three runs in 6 2/3 innings in taking his first loss.
- White Sox OF Alex Rios went 0-for-4 on and is in a 6-for-41 slump at the moment.
- White Sox RP Addison reed picked up his 10th save in 10 chances.
- Orioles OF Nate McLouth went 2-for-5 with a two-run homer.
- Angels DH Albert Pujols launched a solo home run his 5th of the year.
- Angels SP Joe Blanton dropped to 0-5 on the year by giving up three runs (two earned) in eight innings.
- Orioles DH Nolan Reimold went 2-for-4 with 3 runs scored.
- Orioles SP Chris Tillman spun eight shutout frames for the win.
- Brewers optioned OF Josh Prince to Triple-A Nashville.
- Brewers activated INF Jeff Bianchi from the 15-day disabled list.
- Nationals 3B Anthony Rendon will be optioned to Double-A Harrisburg prior to Friday's game.
- Rockies signed RHP Roy Oswalt to a minor league contract.
- Adam Rubin of ESPN New York was told by a team source that the Mets are calling up outfielder Andrew Brown from Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Marlins activated SS Adeiny Hechavarria from the 15-day disabled list.
- Marlins optioned LHP Brad Hand to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins recalled OF Matt Diaz from Triple-A New Orleans.
- Marlins designated INF Nick Green for assignment.
- Padres recalled RHP Brad Boxberger from Triple-A Tucson.
- Padres optioned LHP Robbie Erlin to Triple-A Tucson.
- Blue Jays designated RHP Justin Germano for assignment.
- Indians designated 1B Michael McDade for assignment.
- Indians claimed OF Ezequiel Carrera off waivers from the Phillies.
- Tigers recalled RHP Luke Putkonen from Triple-A Toledo.
- Angels signed RHP Josh Judy to a minor league contract.
- Astros optioned RHP Rhiner Cruz to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Astros optioned RHP Brad Peacock to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Astros recalled RHP Jordan Lyles from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Astros recalled LHP Dallas Keuchel from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- The Orioles are planning to promote right-hander Freddy Garcia to start Saturday against the Angels.
- Yankees placed RHP Joba Chamberlain on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 28, with an oblique strain.
- Yankees optioned INF Corban Joseph to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Blue Jays SP Ricky Romero will be promoted from the minor leagues to start Friday night against the Mariners.
- Blue Jays recalled RHP Brad Lincoln from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays placed RHP Josh Johnson on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 29, with a triceps injury.
- Indians optioned RHP Trevor Bauer to Triple-A Columbus.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth is expected to miss a couple games with hamstring tightness.
- Braves OF Jason Heyward (appendectomy) is scheduled to take dry swings on Saturday.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Thursday that 3B Aramis Ramirez (knee) will not play a full nine innings or in back-to-back games for a while after being activated from the disabled list.
- Brewers SP Mark Rogers (shoulder) has allowed six hits, six walks and four runs in 3 2/3 innings over three relief appearances during his rehab assignment with Double-A Huntsville.
- Marlins C Jeff Mathis (collarbone) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with High-A Jupiter.
- Cubs RP Kyuji Fujikawa (forearm) threw his second successful bullpen session on Thursday morning.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly (rib cage) played catch in the outfield Wednesday evening and reported feeling fine.
- Dodgers RP Chris Capuano (calf) allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings Wednesday in a rehab start at Triple-A Albuquerque.
- White Sox SP John Danks (shoulder) gave up two runs on five hits and a walk over seven innings Thursday in his first rehab start with Double-A Birmingham.
- A second opinion on White Sox SP Gavin Floyd's right elbow has confirmed a tear of his flexor muscle.
- Red Sox RP Andrew Bailey is nursing soreness in his right bicep.
- Angels 3B Alberto Callaspo (calf) is scheduled to play a full rehab game with High-A Inland Empire on Thursday.
- Angels SP Jered Weaver (elbow) was slated to play catch from 120 feet prior to Thursday's game.
- Angels RP Ryan Madson recently had a minor procedure to remove scar tissue from his right elbow.
- Angels RP Kevin Jepsen (triceps) threw off flat ground from 75 feet on Thursday and said his arm "felt great."
- Red Sox RP Franklin Morales (back, pectoral) long-tossed from 120-130 feet out on Thursday for the second straight day.
- Rangers SP Colby Lewis (elbow) could begin a rehab assignment for Triple-A Round Rock on May 9.
- Rangers RP Martin Perez (forearm) will begin a rehab assignment on Monday at Double-A Frisco.
- White Sox manager Robin Ventura is hoping that Jake Peavy (back) will be ready to start on Sunday.
- Blue Jays SP Josh Johnson (triceps) has traveled to Florida for further evaluation.
- Yankees SP Michael Pineda (shoulder) was sitting at 93 mph and topped out at 95 mph Thursday in an extended spring training.
- Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez will report to the Yankees' spring training complex on May 6 to begin baseball activities.
- An MRI taken Thursday on Yankees RP David Robertson's left knee and hamstring showed no structural damage.
- White Sox prospect OF Courtney Hawkins left a game Wednesday at High-A Winston-Salem with a shoulder injury.
- Indians RP Blake Wood (elbow) is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday at Double-A Akron.
Notes and Rumors:
- Brewers RP Francisco Rodriguez has secured a work visa and is expected to report to High-A Brevard County next week.