Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for May 1, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
Nationals – 1 at 8 – Braves
- Braves SP Tim Hudson allowed one run over seven innings and hit a solo homer to pick up his 200th career win.
- Braves 1B Freddie Freeman went 3-for-5 with three RBI.
- Braves SS Andrelton Simmons went 3-for-5 with a solo home run, his 2nd of the year.
- Nationals SP Gio Gonzalez allowed five runs in four innings for the loss.
- Marlins SP Kevin Slowey didn't pick up a win but allowed only one run over eight innings.
- Mets SP Jeremy Hefner suffered a tough-luck loss, striking out eight while allowing two runs — one earned — over eight frames.
- Marlins 2B Donovan Solano went 2-for-4 and drove in a game-tying run with an RBI single in a comeback win.
- Brewers 2B Rickie Weeks went 3-for-5 with five RBI including his 2nd homer.
- Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen went 4-for-5 with a home run, his 3rd of the year.
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte went 3-for-5 with a home run, his 2nd of the year.
- Brewers SP Marco Estrada allowed five runs over five innings in a no-decision.
- Pirates SP James McDonald allowed seven runs over five innings in a loss.
- Brewers SS Jean Segura hit his 3rd homer of the year.
- Brewers 3B Yuniesky Betancourt hit his 6th bomb of the season.
- Cardinals SP Jaime Garcia tossed eight innings of one-run ball while picking up his 3rd win of the year.
- Cardinals RP Edward Mujica recorded an impressive save, striking out Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce in order to preserve the one-run victory.
- Reds SP Bronson Arroyo allowed two runs over seven frames in a loss.
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday launched a two-run homerun his 3rd of the year.
Giants – 2 at 1 – Diamondbacks
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval hit a two-run homer in the top of the ninth, his 4th of the season.
- Giants SP Madison Bumgarner blanked the Diamondbacks for seven innings, allowing three hits.
- Diamondbacks SP Trevor Cahill allowed one run in eight-plus innings Tuesday in a no-decision.
- Diamondbacks RP J.J. Putz took his fourth blown save and his first loss.
- Giants RP Sergio Romo picked up his 10th save of the year.
- Dodgers SP Hyun-Jin Ryu struck out 12 while allowing two runs in six innings in the win.
- Dodgers RP Kenley Jansen pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings.
- Rockies SP Jorge De La Rosa was lifted after allowing six runs in four innings.
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez homered and doubled in his first start back from the disabled list.
Astros – 4 at 7 – Yankees
- Yankees SP Hiroki Kuroda tossed seven scoreless innings for the win.
- Yankees RP Mariano Rivera got the final out for his 10th save of the year.
- Astros 2B Jose Altuve went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
- Astros SP Phil Humber allowed four runs over six innings in the loss.
- Yankees DH Travis Hafner went 3-for-4 with three RBI.
- Astros DH Chris Carter hit his 6th homer of the year.
- Yankees 1B Lyle Overbay hit his 4th bomb of the season.
- Tigers SP Justin Verlander held the Twins to one run over seven innings for the win.
- Tigers 1B Prince Fielder belted his seventh home run of the season in the Tigers' win over the Twins on Tuesday.
- Twins SP Vance Worley yielded six earned runs over 4 2/3 innings in the loss.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera hit his 4th homer of the year.
- Tigers C Alex Avila hit his 3rd homerun of the season.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb allowed four runs over 5 2/3 innings in the loss.
- Royals 3B Mike Moustakas went 2-for-3 with a home run, his 1st of the year.
- Royals SP James Shields allowed only two runs in seven innings for the win.
- Rays OF Matt Joyce went 2-for-4 with a home run in the Rays' loss to the Royals on Tuesday.
- Angels SP Garrett Richards allowed 8 hits and 7 runs in 5.2 innings while striking out four in the loss.
- Athletics SP Jarrod Parker picked up the win allowing six hits and 3 runs over 6 innings in the win.
- Angels 1B Mark Trumbo launced his 5th homer of the year.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes went 2-for-4 with four RBI's and a run scored.
- Angels OF Mike Trout went 2-for-4 with four RBI's and a run scored.
- Orioles SP Jason Hammel allowed two runs and seven hits over 5 innings while picking up the win.
- Mariners SP Brandon Maurer gave up six hits and four runs over 4 innings while taking the loss.
- Orioles OF Nate McLouth launched his 2nd homer of the year.
- Mariners 1B Michael Morse blasted his 8th homerun of the season.
- Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit two home runs, numbers 8 and 9 of the year.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBI.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow allowed three runs over five innings.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester allowed six runs — five earned — over six innings.
- Blue Jays RP Casey Janssen picked up his 7th save in 7 chances this season.
- Rangers SP Yu Darvish allowed four runs in six innings for the win.
- Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
- Rangers OF Nelson Cruz launched his sixth home run of the year.
- White Sox SP Jose Quintana allowed four runs in five innings, taking a no-decision.
- Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre hit his 5th homer of the season.
- Ryan Raburn went 3-for-4 with two more home runs. Raburn has hit four homers in the past two days.
- Phillies OF Delmon Young went 2-for-3 with a solo home run.
- Indians SP Zach McAllister allowed two runs in seven innings for the win.
- Phillies OF Ben Revere was hitless in three at-bats in his return to the lineup and is now batting .200 on the season.
- Phillies SP Roy Halladay allowed eight runs in 3 2/3 innings in the loss.
- Indians 1B Mark Reynolds, C Carlos Santana, 3B Lonnie Chisenhall, OF Michael Brantley and OF Drew Stubbs all hit homers Tuesday night.
- Reds acquired INF/OF Mark Teahen from the Diamondbacks for cash or a player to be named later.
- Diamondbacks signed OF/1B Juan Rivera to a minor league contract.
- Dodgers signed LHP Aaron Laffey to a minor league contract.
- Dodgers recalled RHP Javy Guerra from Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Dodgers optioned RHP Josh Wall to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Braves recalled RHP David Carpenter from Triple-A Gwinnett.
- Braves placed RHP Luis Ayala on the 15-day disabled list with anxiety disorder.
- Pirates recalled RHP Bryan Morris from Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Pirates designated LHP Jonathan Sanchez for assignment.
- Phillies designated OF Ezequiel Carrera for assignment.
- Phillies activated OF Delmon Young from the 15-day disabled list.
- Orioles designated C Luis Exposito for assignment.
- Orioles activated RHP Steve Johnson from the 15-day disabled list, optioned him to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles optioned LHP Zach Britton to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles purchased the contract of C Chris Snyder from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Angels optioned LHP Michael Roth to Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Angels purchased the contract of OF Scott Cousins from Triple-A Salt Lake.
- Angels activated SS Erick Aybar from the 15-day disabled list.
- Athletics recalled RHP Evan Scribner from Triple-A Sacramento.
- Angels placed OF Peter Bourjos on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
- Athletics optioned RHP Dan Straily to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Mariners signed OF Corey Patterson to a minor league contract.
- Rays activated DH Luke Scott from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rays designated OF Shelley Duncan for assignment.
- Yankees recalled INF Corban Joseph from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees placed 3B/1B Kevin Youkilis on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 28, with a lumbar spine sprain.
- Orioles recalled RHP Zach Clark from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Indians released INF Matt Antonelli.
- Indians SP Daisuke Matsuzaka has been placed on the 7-day disabled list with Triple-A Columbus due to an abdominal strain.
- Red Sox activated RHP Joel Hanrahan from the 15-day disabled list.
- Doctors have decided to keep the splint on Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill's fractured left hand after he was examined on Tuesday.
- Diamondbacks SS Didi Gregorius passed all concussion tests Tuesday and has been cleared to resume baseball activities.
- Cardinals 1B Matt Adams (oblique) will begin a rehab assignment at Double-A Springfield on Friday.
- Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez (knee) is expected to be activated from the disabled list on Friday.
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker (finger) fielded grounders and threw prior to Tuesday's game but is still unable to grip a bat.
- Pirates OF Travis Snider (side) pronounced himself ready to play after going through a "nothing held back" workout prior to Tuesday's game.
- Braves C Brian McCann (shoulder) expects to be activated from the disabled list on May 6 for the start of the Braves' series in Cincinnati.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly will undergo an MRI on his back/neck area on Tuesday.
- Cardinals RP Jason Motte (elbow) on Tuesday threw from a greater distance and with more intensity than he had in his previous games of catch.
- Cubs 3B Ian Stewart (quad) is batting just .100/.275/.125 on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Iowa.
- Reds C Ryan Hanigan (oblique) took live batting practice Tuesday for the first time since hitting the disabled list.
- An MRI taken Tuesday on Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton's injured right hamstring revealed a Grade 2 strain.
- Cardinals OF Carlos Beltran (illness) is back in the Cardinals' starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Reds.
- Braves RP Jonny Venters (elbow) played catch at a distance of 60 feet Tuesday and reported feeling fine.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth (hamstring) is not in the Nationals' starting lineup Tuesday night against the Braves.
- Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday with High-A Potomac.
- Dodgers SP Zack Greinke (collarbone) threw from a distance of 90 feet on Monday.
- 2B Jeff Keppinger (back) is hoping to return to the White Sox' lineup on Wednesday or Thursday.
- Rangers RP Kyle McClellan (lat) has been throwing off a mound in extended spring training.
- Orioles 2B Brian Roberts (knee) threw at 75 feet and did some soft-toss swinging on Tuesday.
- Indians SP Brett Myers (elbow) will be re-evaluated on Friday and could be cleared to start a throwing program at that time.
- The Red Sox will make a decision on Thursday whether or not to place OF Shane Victorino (back) on the disabled list.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn (finger) will play in a few rehab games before being activated from the disabled list.
- According to ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand, Yankees OF Curtis Granderson (forearm) could return by the middle of May.
- Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that a return in late May for Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) is the "best case" but June "seems more likely."
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) hopes to have the stitches removed from his left hand next week, which would allow him to begin taking flips in the batting cage.
- Rangers RP Martin Perez (forearm) is scheduled to throw three innings Wednesday in an extended spring training game.
Notes and Rumors:
- Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said 3B David Freese could receive multiple days off as the club tries to find a way to get him through his slump.
- Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Yankees have expressed interest in Rockies 3B Chris Nelson.
- Mets SP Shaun Marcum is listed as Friday's starter against the Braves.
- Red Sox RP Andrew Bailey will remain the Red Sox closer for now.