Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for April 30, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Braves RP Jordan Walden retired all five he faced, striking out three of them, for the victory in relief.
- Braves SP Julio Teheran yielded two runs and 10 hits in 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg wasn't involved in the decision after allowing two runs in six innings.
- Braves OF Jordan Schafer singled, walked three times and stole two bases.
- Braves RP Craig Kimbrel picked up his 9th save of the year.
- Marlins RP Jon Rauch pitched three innings out of the pen for the win.
- Mets RP Bobby Parnell took his second blown save after giving up a run in the ninth.
- Marlins SP Jose Fernandez was removed after allowing two runs in four innings.
- Making his first relief appearance since 2007, Mets SP Shaun Marcum took the loss in the 15th inning.
- Marlins OF Juan Pierre went 2-for-6 with two steals.
- Mets 3B David Wright struck out as a pinch-hitter in the 13th inning.
- Mets C John Buck hit his 9th homer of the year.
- Brewers SP Yovani Gallardo allowed two runs — one earned — in seven innings and homered in the win.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez was handed his first loss after allowing seven runs in 3 2/3 innings.
- Brewers SS Jean Segura missed the cycle by a double.
- Pirates 1B Garrett Jones hit a two-run homer in a losing cause, his 3rd of the year.
- Brewers 3B Yuniesky Betancourt went 2-for-4 with three RBI's and a run scored.
- Brewers OF Norichika Aoki hit his 3rd homer of the year.
- Brewers OF Carlos Gomez hit his 4th homer of the season.
- Reds SP Mat Latos blanked the Cardinals for six innings to earn a win.
- After being dropped to sixth, Cardinals OF Jay Bruce was back in the fifth spot in the order, but he went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
- Cardinals 3B David Freese went hitless in a fourth straight game, dropping his average to .163.
- Reds RP Aroldis Chapman picked up his 6th save of the season while lowering his ERA to 0.68
Giants – 6 at 4 – Diamondbacks
- Diamondbacks SP Ian Kennedy gave up four runs over seven frames.
- Giants 1B Brandon Belt launched a solo homer, his 2nd, and also had a two-RBI single.
- Diamondbacks OF Jason Kubel lifted a two-run homer, his 3rd of the year.
- Diamondbacks 3B Eric Chavez launched his 4th homerun of the season.
- Diamondbacks 2B Martin Prado blasted his 4th homer of the campaign.
- Giants SP Matt Cain served up three homers in one inning but survived to take a no-decision.
- Giants RP Sergio Romo tallied his 9th save of the year.
- Rockies SP Tyler Chatwood earned his 1st win of the season shutting out the Dodgers over six innings while allowing just five hits.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler went 2-for-3 with a homer, run scored, two walks and two RBI's.
- Rockies C Wilin Rosario went 3-for-4 and blasted his 7th bomb of the season.
- Rockies 3B Nolan Arenado went 3-for-6 and hit his 1st homer of the season.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly lasted just 3 innings in the loss, giving up eight hits and four runs.
- Dodgers OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. hit his 1st dinger of the year.
- Cubs 2B Darwin Barney doubled twice and drove in two runs.
- Cubs RP Kevin Gregg made it 4-for-4 in save opportunities after getting four outs.
- Padres SP Clayton Richard surrendered five runs in 5 2/3 innings.
- Cubs OF Scott Hairston hit his 2nd homer of the season.
- Cubs 3B Cody Ransom went 2-for-4 with a homerun, his 2nd of the year.
Astros – 9 at 1 – Yankees
- Astros C Carlos Corporan went 4-for-5 with a homer and four RBI.
- Astros SP Lucas Harrell pitched 6 1/3 innings of one-run ball for the win.
- Yankees SP Andy Pettitte was tagged for seven runs in 4 1/3 innings in the loss.
- Astros OF Brandon Barnes went 3-for-5 with two doubles, three RBI and a steal.
- Tigers SP Max Scherzer struck out 10 while allowing three runs over seven innings.
- With Jose Valverde unavailable, Tigers RP Joaquin Benoit got one out for his second save.
- Twins SP Mike Pelfrey went 5.1 innings giving up 7 hits and four runs while taking the loss.
- Back in the starting lineup, Tigers OF Andy Dirks went 2-for-3 with a homer and a walk.
- Tigers 1B Prince Fielder smashed his 6th homerun of the year, a 3-run shot.
- Indians SP Ubaldo Jimenez picked up his first win of the season after shutting out the Royals for seven innings.
- Royals SP Wade Davis was pounded for eight runs and 12 hits in 4 2/3 innings.
- Indians OF Ryan Raburn went 4-for-4 and hit his first two homers of the year.
- Royals 2B Chris Getz went 0-for-2 with a strikeout before being removed for a pinch-hitter.
- Angels SP Tommy Hanson went 6 innings giving up five hits and two runs in a no decision.
- Angels DH Albert Pujols hit two homers, numbers 3 and 4 of the year.
- Angels 1B Mark Trumbo went 3-for-8 driving in three and launching his 4th homer of the year.
- Athletics SP Dan Straily gave up seven hits and six runs over 4.2 innings.
- Athletics 1B Brandon Moss hit two homers including the game winner in the bottom of the 19th.
- Athletics 3B Josh Donaldson went 3-for-7 with two RBI's, a run scored and a stolen base.
Orioles – 2 at 6 – Mariners
- Orioles C Matt Wieters belted a two-run homer, his 4th of the season.
- Facing his former team, Mariners SP Joe Saunders spun a complete game allowing two runs on just four hits and a walk.
- Orioles SP Zach Britton’s first start in the majors since last September didn’t go well, as he allowed six runs on 10 hits and two walks over six frames.
- Mariners OF Michael Saunders ripped a solo homer and scored a pair of runs in his return to the lineup.
- Dodgers placed LHP Clayton Kershaw on the bereavement list.
- Dodgers activated SS Hanley Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list.
- Giants recalled RHP Sandy Rosario from Triple-A Fresno.
- Giants placed LHP Jose Mijares on the bereavement list.
- Nationals activated C Wilson Ramos from the 15-day disabled list.
- Nationals optioned C Jhonatan Solano to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Reds purchased the contract of OF Donald Lutz from Double-A Pensacola.
- Reds placed OF Chris Heisey on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 27, with a right hamstring strain.
- Giants top prospect SP Kyle Crick has been placed on the 7-day minor league disabled list.
- Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Seth Maness from Triple-A Memphis.
- Cardinals optioned LHP Marc Rzepczynski to Triple-A Memphis.
- Cardinals promoted SP Seth Maness from Triple-A Memphis.
- White Sox transferred LHP Leyson Septimo from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- White Sox acquired OF Casper Wells from the Athletics in exchange for cash considerations.
- Mariners optioned OF Carlos Peguero to Triple-A Tacoma.
- Mariners activated OF Michael Saunders from the 15-day disabled list.
- Athletics optioned RHP Jesse Chavez to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Athletics recalled RHP Dan Straily from Triple-A Sacramento.
- Blue Jays SP Aaron Laffey has elected free agency.
- White Sox outfield prospect Jared Mitchell was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a strained right oblique.
- Indians optioned LHP Scott Barnes to Triple-A Columbus.
- Royals optioned LHP Will Smith to Triple-A Omaha.
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval left Monday's game in the sixth inning with right elbow discomfort.
- Pirates 2B Neil Walker (finger) was unable to take batting practice Monday as hoped.
- Diamondbacks OF Adam Eaton (elbow) threw from 90 feet on Monday.
- Diamondbacks SP Daniel Hudson (elbow) threw 55 pitches over two innings in a live batting practice session on Monday.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg (forearm) said that he will not miss his next start.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton left Monday's game with a right hamstring injury.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth is nursing some tightness in his hamstring.
- Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez (knee) could be activated from the disabled list sometime this week.
- Brewers 1B Corey Hart (knee) said he's "progressed a lot lately" and hopes to return from the disabled list when first eligible on May 30.
- FOX Sports' Dan McLaughlin reported on Monday's broadcast that Cardinals 1B Matt Adams (oblique) will begin a rehab assignment at Triple-A Memphis on Thursday.
- Cubs 3B Steve Clevenger (oblique) caught two bullpen sessions on Monday.
- Padres OF James Darnell (oblique) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma on Monday.
- Mets RP Frank Francisco (elbow) threw 15 pitches in an intrasquad game on Monday.
- Giants RP Jeremy Affeldt (oblique) likely won't be activated from the disabled list until Friday.
- Cubs SP Colby Lewis (elbow) threw 17 pitches in one inning of work in an extended spring training game on Monday.
- Cubs SP Scott Baker (elbow) did some light tosses from a distance of 45 feet Monday.
- Cubs RP Kyuji Fujikawa (forearm) threw 32 pitches in a bullpen session Monday.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto (lat) threw 45 pitches in a bullpen session Monday.
- OF Jason Heyward (appendectomy) says he hopes to rejoin the Braves in late-May, but remains without a timetable for return.
- Dodgers RP Chris Capuano (calf) will make a rehab start Wednesday with Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Braves SP Brandon Beachy (elbow) could begin a minor league rehab assignment in 7-10 days.
- An MRI on Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis' back came back negative, but the Yankees are still considering placing him on the disabled list.
- The Orioles are considering placing C Taylor Teagarden (thumb) on the 60-day disabled list.
- Mariners manager Eric Wedge said Monday that RP Josh Kinney (shoulder) is "getting closer" to heading out on a rehab assignment.
- Angels RP Mark Lowe (neck) will begin a rehab assignment with High-A Inland Empire on Tuesday.
- Athletics manager Bob Melvin said Monday that SS Hiroyuki Nakajima (hamstring) is nearing a rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento.
- Rays DH Luke Scott (calf) is expected to be activated from the disabled list prior to Tuesday's game.
- Indians OF Michael Bourn (finger) is still hitting off a tee and playing catch and said Monday that the Indians have discussed a rehab assignment for him.
- X-rays on Indians RP Chris Perez's right thumb came back clean.
- Orioles prospect right-hander Dylan Bundy (elbow, forearm) received a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection and will rest for six weeks.
Notes and Rumors:
- Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak indicated Monday that Marc Rzepczynski's demotion wasn't just performance-based.
- Pirates RP Jeanmar Gomez will start Wednesday against the Brewers.
- The Pirates have moved SP Jonathan Sanchez to the bullpen.
- Astros manager Bo Porter said Monday that SP Brad Peacock will be moved to the bullpen.
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma is tentatively scheduled to make his next start Sunday against the Blue Jays.
- SP Freddy Garcia has informed the Orioles that he will remain with the organization through May 14.
- Indians SP Trevor Bauer will start on Wednesday against the Phillies.
- C Alex Avila was benched for two games of the Tigers' three-game sweep of the Braves, and is hitting just .169/.229/.262 on the season.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now