Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for April 29, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
- Pirates C Russell Martin slugged two home runs, numbers 4 and 5 of the year.
- Pirates SP Jeff Locke threw seven shutout innings while collecting his 3rd win of the season.
- Cardinals SP Shelby Miller gave up three earned runs over 5 2/3 innings in the loss.
- Pirates OF Jose Tabata hit his 1st dinger of the year.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte went 2-for-5 and swiped his 7th bag of the season.
- Cardinals 3B David Freese went 0-for-3 dropping his average to .178.
- Brewers SP Kyle Lohse allowed two runs on five hits over seven innings.
- Dodgers RP Brandon League picked up his eighth save.
- Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw had a season-high 12 strikeouts over eight scoreless innings.
- Dodgers OF Carl Crawford supplied all the offense in this game with 2 solo jacks, his 4th and 5th of the year.
- Reds SP Tony Cingrani hurled six innings of scoreless ball while racking up 11 strikeouts and picking up his 2nd win.
- Nationals SP Ross Detwiler gave up four runs — three earned — in five innings in the loss.
- Reds SS Zack Cozart went 2-for-3 with 2 RBI's and a run scored.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips knocked in two with a single in the 1st.
- Reds RP Aroldis Chapman notched his 5th save of the year.
- Phillies SP Cole Hamels pitched around six walks to pick up his first win, allowing one run over six frames to pick up his 1st win of the year.
- Mets SP Jon Niese yielded three runs — one earned — over 6 2/3 frames in the loss.
- Phillies OF Freddy Galvis ripped a solo homer, his 2nd of the year.
- Phillies 1B Ryan Howard had a pinch hit 2-RBI single in the 7th inning.
Cubs – 4 at 6 – Marlins
- Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco won his second game, allowing three runs over seven frames.
- Cubs SP Carlos Villanueva whiffed eight batters but allowed four runs over six frames in the loss.
- Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton went 3-for-3 with four RBI's and a pair of home runs., numbers 2 and 3 of the season.
- Marlins RP Steve Cishek picked up his 3rd save of the year.
- Marlins SS Nick Green hit his 1st bomb of the season.
- Cubs C Dioner Navarro hit his 3rd homer of the season, a solo shot in the 9th.
- Rockies SP Jon Garland gave up three runs over six innings in the loss.
- Diamondbacks SP Patrick Corbin allowed two runs on nine hits over 6 2/3 innings and picked up his 3rd win of the season.
- Diamondbacks RP J.J. Putz tallied his 5th save of the year.
- Diamondbacks got RBI's from 2B Josh Wilson and OF Cody Ross.
- Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval went 4-for-5 with an RBI single.
- Giants SP Ryan Vogelsong allowed six runs on eight hits in five-plus innings in the loss.
- Padres 3B Chase Headley went 3-for-3 with two doubles and a home run.
- Padres SP Jason Marquis allowed just two runs over six-plus innings for his second win of the season.
- Padres RP Huston Street picked up his 5th save of the season.
Orioles – 8 at 9 – Athletics
- Athletics 3B Josh Donaldson went 1-for-3 with a double.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes went 2-for-5 with a home run.
- Athletics SP Bartolo Colon gave up five runs over six innings in a no-decision.
- Orioles OF Nate McLouth doubled and scored four runs.
- Orioles SP Miguel Gonzalez allowed four runs over five-plus innings Sunday.
- Orioles 1B Chris Davis launched his 9th bomb of the year.
- Athletics DH Seth Smith hit his 3rd homer of the season.
- Royals SP Jeremy Guthrie tossed 6 2/3 scoreless innings for the win.
- Indians SP Justin Masterson was clobbered for seven earned runs over 6 1/3 innings.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon went 2-for-4 with a 2-run homer, his 3rd of the season.
- Royals SS Alcides Escobar went 2-for-5 with a 2-run homer and two runs scored.
- Royals OF Jarrod Dyson went 2-for-4 with two RBI's.
- Indians SP Corey Kluber allowed seven hits and two runs over 7 innings for the win.
- Royals SP Will Smith gave up 7 hits and 4 runs in just 4 innings in the loss.
- Indians 2B Mike Aviles knocked in five runs and hit his 2nd homer of the year.
- Indians C Carlos Santana went 4-for-5 with an RBI, run scored and a stolen base.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz went 2-for-4 with two RBI. Ortiz is now batting .516 on the year.
- Red Sox SP John Lackey allowed one earned run over six innings for the win.
- Astros SP Bud Norris gave up nine hits and three runs over 6 innings while taking the loss.
- Red Sox SS Stephen Drew had a two-run triple in the 4th inning.
- Red Sox OF Daniel Nava went 2-for-4 with 3 runs scored.
- Yankees SP Phil Hughes struck out nine allowing two runs over six innings in a no decision.
- Blue Jays SP R.A. Dickey went seven solid innings but suffered a loss, allowing three runs.
- Yankees 1B Lyle Overbay singled and belted a two-run homer.
- Yankees RP Mariano Rivera picked up his 9th save of the season.
- Yankees OF Brennan Boesch hit his 2nd homer of the year.
Rays – 8 at 3 – White Sox
- Rays OF Ben Zobrist went 3-for-5 with two RBI.
- Rays SP David Price picked up his 1st win of the year going 7 innings, allowing six hits and threeruns while striking out nine.
- White Sox SP Dylan Axelrod went 6 innings allowing four hits and three runs in a no decision.
- Rays C Jose Lobaton hit his 2nd jack of the year.
- Rays OF Matt Joyce hit a solo homer, his 4th of the season.
- White Sox 1B Paul Konerko launched his 4th homer of the year, a two run shot.
- Angels SP Jason Vargas allowed just two runs over eight innings in a loss.
- Mariners OF Michael Morse went 2-for-4 and hit the game-winning home run.
- Mariners OF Jason Bay smashed his 2nd homer of the year.
- Mariners SP Hisashi Iwakuma was credited with one unearned run over six innings.
- Mariners RP Tom Wilhelmsen notched his 8th save of the season.
- Tigers SP Doug Fister allowed three runs over seven innings while picking up his 4th win of the year.
- Braves SP Mike Minor struggled in his start, allowing six runs and two walks over 6 2/3 innings in the loss.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson hit his 2nd homer of the year, a 3-run shot.
- Tigers 2B Omar Infante went 2-for-4 including his 2nd bomb of the season.
- Tigers 1B Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Diamondbacks placed SS Didi Gregorius on the 7-day concussion disabled list
- Diamondbacks activated OF Jason Kubel from the 15-day disabled list.
- Rockies designated 3B Chris Nelson for assignment.
- The Reds will call up OF Donald Lutz to take Chris Heisey's (hamstring) spot on the roster.
- Phillies designated C Humberto Quintero for assignment.
- Phillies reinstated C Carlos Ruiz from suspension.
- Reds OF Chris Heisey (hamstring) is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list.
- Rockies purchased the contract of 3B Nolan Arenado from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Orioles acquired C Chris Snyder from the Angels for RHP Rob Delaney.
- White Sox optioned OF Blake Tekotte to Triple-A Charlotte.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Daniel Bard to Double-A Portland.
- Angels reinstated RHP Tommy Hanson from the bereavement list.
- Angels placed LHP Sean Burnett on the 15-day disabled list with left forearm irritation.
- Athletics designated OF Casper Wells for assignment.
- Athletics activated OF Yoenis Cespedes from the 15-day disabled list.
- Royals recalled LHP Will Smith from Triple-A Omaha.
- Orioles placed C Taylor Teagarden on the 15-day disabled list with a dislocated left thumb.
- Orioles recalled C Luis Exposito from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Indians recalled LHP Scott Barnes from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians recalled C/INF Yan Gomes from Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians placed C Lou Marson on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.
- White Sox recalled RHP Deunte Heath from Triple-A Charlotte.
- White Sox placed RHP Gavin Floyd on the 15-day disabled list with a flexor muscle strain in his right elbow.
- Blue Jays optioned RHP Brad Lincoln to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Blue Jays reinstated 1B Adam Lind from the paternity leave list.
- Red Sox activated RHP John Lackey from the disabled list.
- Red Sox optioned C/DH Ryan Lavarnway to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Braves C Brian McCann (shoulder) could be activated from the disabled list in the next 7-10 days.
- Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki left Sunday's game against the Diamondbacks with a left shoulder strain.
- Pirates RP Kyle McPherson still has soreness in his right elbow and will be shut down for an extended period.
- Padres SP Tyson Ross (shoulder) will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson this week.
- Dodgers manager Don Mattingly is optimistic that Mark Ellis (quad) can avoid the disabled list.
- Mets manager Terry Collins said RP Frank Francisco (elbow) felt "OK" but "not great" during a 25-pitch bullpen session on Saturday.
- Cardinals RP Jason Motte (elbow) played catch from about 50 feet on Sunday.
- Blue Jays SP R.A. Dickey (neck) expects to have MRI sometime this week.
- Yankees 3B Kevin Youkilis (back) will undergo an MRI on Monday.
- White Sox SP John Danks (shoulder) will begin a rehab assignment Thursday at Double-A Birmingham.
- Mariners SP Danny Hultzen has been told by the Mariners' training staff that his left shoulder injury is "not worrisome.
- Angels 3B Alberto Callaspo (calf) will begin a rehab assignment at High-A Inland Empire on Tuesday.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar (heel) will play another rehab game at Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday.
- Twins SP Rich Harden felt soreness in his surgically-repaired right shoulder while throwing last week.
- The Athletics will skip SP Brett Anderson's (ankle) next turn in the starting rotation.
- Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes (ankle) has ditched his cast and will now wearing a walking boot.
- Royals SP Felipe Paulino (elbow) threw 25 pitches of live batting practice on Saturday.
- Royals SP Danny Duffy (elbow) threw 20 pitches in an extended spring training game on Saturday.
- SP John Danks (shoulder) is expected to begin a rehab assignment at one of the White Sox' minor league affiliates in the middle of this week.
Notes and Rumors:
- Dodgers prospect OF Yasiel Puig was arrested by police early Sunday and charged with speeding, reckless driving and driving without proof of insurance.
- Pirates RP Jeanmar Gomez could start Wednesday against the Brewers in place of Jonathan Sanchez.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now