Thanks to Jason Martinez and Clint Chisam of MLB Depth Charts, we'll now be bringing you daily news, notes, transactions, injury updates, and notable performances from the previous day's games…throughout the entire season! And if you like what you see here, don't forget to check out MLBDC's Insider subscription, which also includes starting pitcher rankings and matchups, top 25 batter vs. pitcher stat rankings, lineup tracker (includes lineups from past seven games), rotation report, stat tracker, and more!
Probable Pitchers for April 25, 2013
PITCHf/x cards of today's probable pitchers can be found here: BrooksBaseball.net Probable Pitchers
Yesterday's Notable Stat Lines:
Cardinals – 4 at 2 – Nationals
- Cardinals SP Jaime Garcia pitched 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball while picking up the win.
- Cardinals RP Edward Mujica picked up his third save in three days and 4th of the season.
- Nationals SP Stephen Strasburg took his fourth loss after allowing three runs in seven innings while striking out seven.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa went 0-for-4 and is 2-for-18 since returning from a wrist injury. Espinosa is now batting .155 on the season.
- Nationals OF Jayson Werth hit his 4th homerun of the season off Cardinals RP Trevor Rosenthal.
- Cardinals 2B Matt Carpenter went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Cardinals OF Matt Holliday went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored.
- Cardinals C Yadier Molina knocked in a pair with a single in the 1st inning.
- Pirates OF Starling Marte went 2-for-4 with two stolen bases.
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley went 2-for-5 with his 4th home run of the season.
- Phillies 1B Ryan Howard hit just his 2nd homer of the season.
- Pirates 3B Pedro Alvarez hit his 4th homer of the season.
- Pirates RP Jason Grilli worked a perfect ninth inning to pick up his 9th save of the season.
- Pirates RP Mark Melancon continued his excellent start picking up his 8th hold while lowering his ERA to 0.69 and his WHIP to 0.54.
- Pirates SP Wandy Rodriguez allowed three runs over 5 2/3 innings while striking out five in a no-decision.
- Phillies SP Roy Halladay allowed one run over six innings while striking out eight in a no decision.
- Mets OF Jordany Valdespin hit a walk-off grand slam.
- Mets RP Bobby Parnell picked up his 1st win of the season in relief.
- Dodgers RP Brandon League blew his first save of 2013 in an extra-innings loss.
- Dodgers OF Matt Kemp slugged his 1st home run of the season.
- Dodgers SP Ted Lilly allowed one run over five innings while striking out seven.
- Mets SP Matt Harvey allowed three runs in six innings while striking out seven in a no-decision.
- Padres SP Edinson Volquez blanked the Brewers over seven innings to win for the first time this season.
- Padres OF Carlos Quentin went 2-for-4 and hit his 1st homer of the season.
- Brewers SP Marco Estrada pitched well giving up just one earned run over 6.1 innings in a tough luck loss.
- Thanks to a batter's interference call that ended the game, Padres RP Huston Street notched his third save of the season
Cubs – 0 at 1 – Reds
- Reds SP Mat Latos blanked the Cubs for seven innings to pick up his first win.
- Cubs SP Jeff Samardzija struck out eight while allowing one run in six innings.
- Reds 3B Todd Frazier homered off Jeff Samardzija for the only run of the game.
- Reds RP Aroldis Chapman picked up his 4th save of the season while lowering his ERA to 0.79.
- Ian Kennedy didn't get a win but pitched well, tossing six innings of one-run ball in a extra-innings win.
- Diamondbacks RP Matt Reynolds nailed down his second save of the season with a scoreless 10th inning.
- Called upon with J.J. Putz unavailable, Diamondbacks RP David Hernandez blew a save oppurtunity, allowing a game-tying homer to Brandon Crawford in the ninth inning.
- Giants SP Madison Bumgarner suffered a poor luck no-decision, allowing one run while striking out seven over 7 1/3 frames.
- Diamondbacks SS Didi Gregorius went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and a run scored.
- Giants SS Brandon Crawford went 3-for-4 with an RBI double and a game-tying solo homer in the ninth inning.
Braves – 5 at 6 – Rockies (12 Innings)
- Rockies C Yorvit Torrealba hit a walkoff RBI single a win.
- Braves RP Craig Kimbrel blew his first save of the season in an extra-innings loss.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler went 2-for-5 with two RBI's.
- Rockies 2B Josh Rutledge hit his 3rd homer of the season while OF Michael Cuddyer launched his 5th.
- Braves 3B Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Rockies SP Tyler Chatwood yielded five runs — four earned — over six innings in a no-decision.
- Braves SP Tim Hudson allowed three earned runs over six innings in a no-decision.
Blue Jays – 6 at 5 – Orioles (11 Innings)
- Blue Jays C J.P. Arencibia hit his AL-high 8th homer as part of a 3-for-5 day.
- Blue Jays SP Brandon Morrow yielded four runs — three earned — in 6 1/3 innings.
- Orioles SP Josh Stinson gave up five runs and four homers in 5 2/3 innings.
- Orioles RP Jim Johnson took a loss after allowing a run in the 11th.
- Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie went 0-for-3 with a walk and a HBP, dropping his average to .125.
- Orioles OF Nate McLouth went 2-for-3 with a double, two walks, a steal and three runs scored.
- Orioles 1B Chris Davis went 0-for-5 and struck out three times lowering his average to
- Tigers RP Jose Valverde notched his first save of the year in a victory.
- Royals OF Alex Gordon went 1-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI.
- Tigers SP Max Scherzer allowed five runs in five innings but earned the win.
- Royals SP Wade Davis allowed seven runs — three earned — in 3 2/3.
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester moved to 4-0 despite walking six and allowing three runs in 5 2/3 innings.
- Red Sox RP Andrew Bailey struck out the side in the ninth to pick up his fifth save.
- Athletics SP Brett Anderson, who left his last start with an ankle sprain, was tagged for six runs in four-plus innings.
- Athletics OF Chris Young hit a pair of homers and drove in four runs against the Red Sox on Wednesday.
- Athletics SS Jed Lowrie went 3-for-5, raising his average to .366.
Indians – 2 at 3 – White Sox
- After being pushed back a day because of a rainout, White Sox SP Jose Quintana allowed two runs and four hits in five innings while picking up the win.
- White Sox 1B Paul Konerko went 0-for-3 and was removed for a pinch-runner after a HBP. Konerko is now batting just .232 on the season.
- White Sox RP Addison Reed picked up his 6th save in six chances.
- Indians SP Zach McAllister gave up three runs and five hits in 5.2 innings while taking the loss.
- White Sox OF Alex Rios hit his 5th homer of the season.
- Astros 1B Brandon Laird homered, doubled twice and drove in four runs.
- Astros SP Lucas Harrell allowed one run in seven innings to win a second straight start.
- Mariners SP Joe Saunders was tagged for eight runs in five innings.
- Astros SS Ronny Cedeno went 3-for-4 with a three-run homer.
- Making his major league debut, Astros OF Robbie Grossman doubled twice as the leadoff man.
- Justin Smoak hit his first homer of the year.
- Rangers SP Yu Darvish overwhelmed the Angels striking out 11 in six scoreless innings.
- Angels SP/RP Michael Roth took a loss in his first big-league start after allowing five runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Rangers.
- Rangers 1B/DH Lance Berkman had a two-run homer and a two-run single in the rout of the Angels.
- Rangers OF Nelson Cruz went 3-for-4 and homered for the third time in four games against the Angels.
- No games scheduled
- Padres transferred INF Logan Forsythe from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- Padres optioned RHP Thad Weber to Triple-A Tucson.
- Padres purchased the contract of LHP Robbie Erlin from Triple-A Tucson.
- Dodgers activated LHP Ted Lilly from the 15-day disabled list.
- Dodgers optioned C Tim Federowicz to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Rockies optioned RHP Rob Scahill to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Rockies recalled RHP Tyler Chatwood from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- The Red Sox are expected to promote C Ryan Lavarnway prior to Thursday's game.
- Red Sox optioned RHP Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Orioles optioned RHP Josh Stinson to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Tigers designated LHP Duane Below for assignment.
- Indians sent RHP Fernando Nieve outright to Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians optioned INF/C Yan Gomes to Triple-A Columbus.
- Indians activated C Lou Marson from the 15-day disabled list.
- Orioles optioned RHP Alex Burnett to Triple-A Norfolk.
- Orioles recalled RHP Josh Stinson from Triple-A Norfolk.
- Astros recalled OF Robbie Grossman from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Red Sox recalled RHP Daniel Bard from Double-A Portland
- Braves RP Jonny Venters (elbow) will resume light throwing next Tuesday.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said that 3B Aramis Ramirez (knee) could return "somewhere maybe in the next home stand."
- Pirates SP Jeff Karstens (shoulder) will throw a simulated game on Thursday.
- Pirates SP Francisco Liriano (arm) is on schedule to make his Pirates' debut on May 10 against the Mets.
- Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said scouting reports he received on SP Charlie Morton's (elbow) rehab start with Double-A Altoona on Tuesday were "excellent."
- Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez (thumb) is aiming to begin a three-game minor league rehab assignment next week.
- Cubs RP Kyuji Fujikawa (forearm) has yet to throw a bullpen session.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza (lat, arm) will be examined Wednesday.
- Nationals C Wilson Ramos (hamstring) is aiming to begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday.
- Red Sox RP Craig Breslow (shoulder) will make rehab appearances on Saturday and Sunday with Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Red Sox manager John Farrell said OF Shane Victorino (back) was removed from Wednesday's game against the A's due to "precautionary reasons."
- Rays SS Yunel Escobar left Wednesday's game with right hamstring tightness.
- Yankees OF Curtis Granderson (forearm) has been cleared to take batting practice on the field and is on pace to return in the first week of May.
- X-rays on Rangers OF Jeff Baker's right knee came back negative.
- Angels SS Erick Aybar (heel) will play in extended spring training games starting Thursday and could be activated from the disabled list over the weekend.
- Mariners OF Michael Saunders (shoulder) is expected to begin a rehab assignment this weekend at Triple-A Tacoma.
- Athletics 2B Adam Rosales (intercostal) could be activated when the Athletics return home Thursday.
- Athletics OF Yoenis Cespedes (hand) could begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Triple-A Sacramento.
- Red Sox RP Joel Hanrahan (hamstring) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday with Triple-A Pawtucket.
- Orioles RP Steve Johnson (lat) gave up five runs over four innings Wednesday in a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Norfolk.
- Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera is currently sidelined with a right quad injury.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) acknowledged Tuesday that he will not be ready by May 1st.
Notes and Rumors:
- Phillies SP Jonathan Pettibone will start Saturday against the Mets.
- Rockies SP Jeff Francis will start on three days' rest on Saturday against the Diamondbacks
- Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Wednesday that 2B Steve Lombardozzi will begin playing regularly.
- Giants C Buster Posey will catch Tim Lincecum on Friday against the Padres.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now