The Kansas City Royals are looking to hire an Analyst for their Baseball Analytics department. You can apply for the position by going to Team Work online. A copy of the job description is below. Let the Royals know you read about the opening at Baseball Prospectus.
The Kansas City Royals Baseball Club is seeking a highly motivated and creative statistician/analyst to develop analytics for use in decision-making by the Baseball Operations department. The ideal applicant will be capable of leveraging baseball data to provide a competitive edge and innovative solutions to the Kansas City Royals.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball data in order to aid in Baseball Operations decision making.
- Systematize usage of different data sets by extracting key information through probabilistic modeling.
- Create reports, charts, tables, graphics, and other tools to deliver information to staff.
- Aid the Baseball Analytics department in usage of best-suited statistical techniques for future and existing analytics.
- Monitor latest statistical and baseball research in order to implement the most cutting edge techniques.
- Use findings and methodologies from independent baseball research in developing metrics.
- Develop interfaces, data imports, and/or other ETL processes for identified data sources.
- Work with amateur and professional baseball staff to provide the most relevant statistical support.
- Ad-hoc reports or small studies that come up during the year based on circumstance.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in mathematics, statistics, or related quantitative field. Specialized training, certifications, or published research are a plus.
- Up to date knowledge of statistical analysis techniques and experience with experimental design.
- Experience manipulating (through database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server) and analyzing large data sets.
- Knowledge of baseball and baseball data (Pitch f/x, Hit f/x, Field f/x) is highly preferred.
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours during the baseball season is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of work materials and issues as appropriate.
- Proficiency with the following tools and/or software:
* R, MATLAB, STATA, Minitab, or similar – required
* SQL or MySQL scripting – required
* Python, C++, or similar language – preferred
Apply here: Team Work online