Baseball Prospectus is looking for interns for 2012, specifically for the spring and summer academic quarters (or immediately, if available now). Before applying, please ensure that you can devote at least 10 hours per week to tasks including, but not limited to, interesting and rewarding baseball stuff. Internships are unpaid aside from the famous free Baseball Prospectus Premium subscription for life, and you must receive college credit for your internship. Please be sure your application email mentions the period during which you wish to work.
- English, History, or Journalism background. You might not get a job anywhere else after college, so make the most of your educational choices now. (Kidding, mostly. I was an English major, so I can make that joke.)
- An interest in writing and editing and an awareness of good grammar and proper punctuation.
- Solid writing samples.
- Interest in doing research, whether it be of an internet or library nature.
- Familiarity with Excel, HTML, XML a plus.
- Desktop publishing experience a plus.
- Knowledge of and interest in baseball are important, of course.
- MySQL or other SQL experience.
- Graphic design, primarily Web Style Sheet (CSS) experience.
- PHP experience.
- Experience in production of websites, applications, and utilities.
- Mobile device (primarily iPhone and Android) application development experience.
- Facebook App or OpenSocial development experience.
Please submit resume and portfolio to email@example.com with email subject "Technical Intern Applicant." We want independently productive individuals. If applicable, send us a portfolio with samples of or links to the stuff you've done. It doesn't have to be professional or about baseball.
Strong Retrosheet intern candidates will offer the following:
- A high level of familiarity with the Retrosheet scoring system and comfort editing text files with game accounts for accuracy.
Please submit resume and summary of any experience with Retrosheet to firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject "Retrosheet Intern Applicant."