Interesting stories from newspapers across the nation:
- Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes that Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder offer a one-two combo punch rarely seen.
- Mike Wise of the Washington Post writes that Davey Johnson could bring some much-needed excitement to the D.C. sports scene.
- Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post explains how the Nationals keep winning.
- Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that the Pirates' loss to the Red Sox was nothing short of embarrassing.
- Yours truly writes for the Beaver County Times that the weekend proves these aren't the same old Pirates.
- Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle writes that Jim Crane is getting what he paid for with the Astros.
- Jim Souhan of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes that perhaps it is time to ask Joe Mauer for some of those millions back.
- Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that Major League Baseball's annual exercise in forced trading could use a later deadline.
- Randy Youngman of the Orange County Register writes that Frank McCourt can be blamed for the Dodgers' poor attendance.
- Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News writes that the Yankees need Phil Hughes back healthy if they want to win another World Series.
- Steve Popper of the Bergen Record writes that it is time for the Mets to start dealing.
- Mike Brudenell of the Detroit Free Press writes that ex-players, family and fans celebrate Sparky Anderson's legacy as the Tigers retire his No. 11.
- Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that Jack McKeon continues using the same approach.
- Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that Starling Castro is staying at shortstop for the Cubs despite another lapse.
- John Tomase of the Boston Herald writes in defense of J.D. Drew.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now