Interesting stories from newspapers across North America:
- Ron Borges of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox and Cubs offer little for rival revival.
- John Harper of the New York Daily News writes that the Mets need R.A. Dickey to pitch like he did against the Yankees if they are to even think about contending.
- Jeff Bradley of the Newark Star-Ledger writes that Dave Mlicki stole the show when the spotlight was the brightest in 1997 as the Mets met the Yankees.
- La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes that the stories at Harmon Killebrew's funeral were about how he touched so many lives.
- John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that the Athletics change trainers but the injuries keep coming.
- Larry Stone of the Seattle Times wonders if the balance of power is shifting to the National League.
- Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun writes that interleague play favors the American League's big spenders.