Top stories from newspapers across the nation:
- Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle writes that the next owner of the Astros must wrestle with the question of keeping general manager Ed Wade.
- Gene Collier of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that staying above water is not easy for the Pirates.
- Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Tony La Russa is doing the right thing by taking time off.
- Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Jim Hendry set the Albert Pujols rumor mill spinning with a hug.
- Kevin Kernan of the New York Post writes that Alex Rodriguez shows signs of hitting stride.
- Tim Smith of the New York Daily News writes that there were great signs from Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Freddy Garcia and Joba Chamberlain in the Yankees' victory over the Royals on Tuesday night.