And . . . we're back. Another slew of great emails and then we talk a bit about how even though spring training has kicked off, there's really not much to talk about, so instead we spend 30 minutes breaking down the recently published Yankees and Rays Top 11 prospect lists. Our special guest this week is Cory Schwartz from MLB Advanced Media. You probably know him from Fantasy 411, but he's also the Director of Stats for MLBAM so we talk about the process of all the data collection and the future of the f/x family of products. Based on an idea from a fan, we then kick off our listener of the week segment with Lincoln Mitchell, who provides more insight on the situation in the Middle East than you'll get from a week of watching CNN, and we invite you to state your case for why you should be next. Then it's the goofy stuff with music, drinks and what we're working on. As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 39: "A Licky Boom Boom Down"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, Agenda Review, Weather Report
3:57 Housekeeping: Email, Twitter, Facebook, Books, Websites, It's busy!
- We're not music snobs and we don't hate the mainstream
- Portal 2
- Other baseball podcasts
- Additional applications of the 20-to-80 scale – homes and cities
- What we're doing in 2011 and how to stalk me
- Eyeballs vs. numbers
- Getting started in statistical analysis
- The future of the Pirates
47:58 Baseball has started, so there's nothing to talk about
1:25:16 Special Guest Cory Schwartz (@schwartzstops), Director of Stats, MLBAM
- Breaking down the day job
- What it takes to gather data from 100+ games per day
- The Casino Model and Rule 10
- Bringing Pitch f/x beyond the big leagues
- Where we are with Hit f/x and Field f/x
- The challenges of storing all this data
1:52:29 Listener Of The Week: Lincoln Mitchell (@LincolnMitchell), Associate at Columbia University's Harriman Institute
- Why the hell do you listen to our stupid show?
- A quick introduction to the Rose Revolution
- Lessons from the color revolution as applied to the Middle East
- Is the spread of democracy always a good thing?
- Projecting what happens from here in the Middle East
2:12:04 How YOU can be our listener of the week
2:12:54 Musical Guest: Phantom Works
2:14:55 What are you drinking?
2:18:46 The writing, and the traveling ahead
Music is by Phantom Works, all rights reserved.