Just because there isn't much going on in baseball doesn't mean Jason and I can't yammer for over two hours. After a very long, wide-ranging email segment (keep 'em coming kids!), we talk about the remaining free agents, go inside the process of ranking 101 prospects, and then I take some time to go on a rant about Bert Blyleven, or more accurately, his Hall Of Fame supporters. Our final special guest of the year is Rocco DeMaro, who recently lost his gig as host of the best post-game radio show in baseball, and then we review our holiday and talk about the east coast blizzard.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 31: "My Now Estranged Uncle Al"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, Agenda Review and Oney Guillen's tweets
3:33 Housekeeping: Email us, follow us on Twitter, join our Facebook group
4:23 Listener Mail!
- Latin players in the cold
- How fat players age
- The philosophy of rushing prospects
- Gauging the size of our conservative listening audience
- Projecting future grades
- Evaluating bat speed
- The most amazing Double-A lineup ever?
- The importance of winning on a team level in a player's development
- Hypothetical question of the week: What if MLB required players to go to college?
- A physicist in Switzerland asks about Phillies prospects
- How we make the podcast happen, and a brief talk on sound quality
47:04 Big names still on the free agent market
1:02:18 The process of compiling the Top 101 prospects list
1:12:16 Bert Blyleven and the HOF: A Rant
1:26:42 Special Guest: Rocco DeMaro on the ruthless world of baseball on the radio
- The end of the best post-game show on the radio
- How the Pirates fit into the Pittsburgh sports market on a business level
- It's not easy covering the Pirates
- Already missing the show
- Looking for a job and how contracts suck
- Memories of 1992
- Getting through the pain with Suikoden III
1:48:38 Music Guest: Girlfriends
1:50:10 What Are You Drinking and tales of Mimosa Joseph
1:55:01 Holiday revue and blizzard update
Music is by Girlfriends, copyright 2010 Floating Garbage Continent.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now