When planning the podcast, we did have some worries about having enough to talk about during the off-season. Luckily, we've had plenty of drama, and last week was defined by the big Zack Greinke trade. So after breaking down the trade on a baseball level, we go to the source as we are joined by Jim Breen of Bernie's Crew, who broke the story of the Greike trade, about his wild weekend. Later, we are joined by all-around Dominican media guy Rafael Bello, who helps us respond to a listener email about traveling to the Dominican to watch baseball, and of course, we also talk about the mambo. From there, more goofy stuff with concept albums about yetis, holiday plans and a special announcement at the end.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 30: "Two Diamond-Encrusted Snow Plows"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, agenda review
4:10 Housekeeping (you know, email us, follow us on Twitter, than kind of stuff)
- A professor of genetics and a big league official chimes on nature vs. nurture
- We have listeners in Budapest
- Explaining winter ale and a brief discussion of Sonic Youth
- The future of Yunesky Maya
- The decision process involved in changing swings and pitching mechanics
32:47 Reviewing the Brewers and Mets Top 11 Prospect lists
47:00 The Philosophy of valuing prospects for trade purposes
58:08 Breaking down the Greinke deal from both a Brewers and Royals perspective
1:15:50 Special Guest Jim Breen from Bernie's Crew on breaking the Zack Greinke story
- Discovering the story
- Industry reaction before and after the story was confirmed
- Has this been a life-changing experience?
1:32:21 Special Guest Rafael Bello with tips for those going to the Dominican Republic for baseball
- The brief strike in the Dominican over the weekend
- Baseball and mambo: Getting tickets, getting there and eating
- Street names in the Dominican
- The reality of being in Santo Domingo compared to the tourist areas (hold on to your cellphone)
- A message to our Dominican listeners en espanol
1:52:50 Musical Guest: Snailface and their concept album about Yetis
1:55:33 What Are You Drinking? (Includes bonus geography quiz)
1:58:29 Cooking With the Professor: Dueling briskets for Christmas and holiday plans
2:09:03 A special announcement from Jason Parks
Music is by Snailface, copyright 2010 Sea Of Droids Music.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now