Back from Orlando, it's time to wrap up the winter meetings as after going through some widely varying email, Jason and I spend more than half an hour dissecting the utter insanity that was a Monday night that ended with Cliff Lee's shocking signing with the Phillies. From flight trackers to mystery teams to where the Yankees and Rangers go from here, we cover every angle. After a quick diversion into prospects, and a debate on if a tiny second baseman can get to the big leagues, Amanda Rykoff of espnW joins us to talk about her first winter meetings experience, as well as her involvement with the latest venture from those folks in Bristol. Then it's the usual wackiness, some tales from our trip and the best closing song in the history of the podcast, as The Bismark delivers their tribute to the words of Curt Flood.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 29: "How 'Bout That Flight Tracker"
Download Here (121 MB; 2:12:13) [o]
Join Our Facebook Group
ITunes Feed – If you subscribe via ITunes, please rate and review!
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Twitter: @kevin_goldstein; @professorparks
Skype Voicemail: kingclipon
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, agenda review
4:02 Housekeeping and no awards coming our way
- Defining No. 1 through 4 starters on a scouting level
- What to do with Joba Chamberlain?
- Heading to the Dominican to watch winter baseball
- Explaining some swing concepts like short path and staying in the zone
- A hypothetical question concerning nature vs. nurture
36:39 Monday's Cliff Lee insanity
- The mystery team arrives!
- Being the face of the franchise vs. being just another guy
- Private planes, flight tracker and people with too much time on their hands
- Go apologize to Jon Heyman
- The new Phillies rotation
- Where the Yankees go from here
- Where the Rangers go from here
- Pre-signing assumptions based on emotions over facts
1:05:42 Talking prospects: Cubs, Indians and Astros Top 11s and loving Jose Altuve
1:19:28 Special Guest Amanda Rykoff of espnW
- Rites of passage: The post-winter meetings illness
- Expectations of the winter meetings vs. reality
- The magic of the lobby
- Getting star struck
- All the minor league folks
- Diversity at the winter meetings and working women in baseball
- Introducing espnW: What it is and why
- The importance of a fedora
1:51:57 Musical Guest: The Bismarck
1:53:34 What Are You Drinking?
1:56:53 Pop Culture Moment: Our days in Orlando
2:03:38 Update on Jason's mental state and what we're working on
2:10:00 “Curt Flood” – The Bismarck's song with lyrics from Curt Flood's letter to Bowie Kuhn
Music is by The Bismarck, various copyrights reserved.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now