It's a very special episode (but aren't they all?) as we preview the upcoming winter meetings. After making our own predictions for some of the most interesting free agency cases, Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated and MLB Network joins us to discuss all the latest rumors, as well as how Twitter has affected his job as well as the life of a rumor guy. From there, we talk to Robert Ford, host of the pre- and post-games shows on the Royals flagship about the winter meetings where he got his entry into broadcasting. From there, things get goofy as we discuss the documentary Cropsey, as well as our own urban legends. As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 28: "Go To Epcot, Share A Snow Cone"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, agenda review
3:31 Why Next Week Is Complicated
4:19 Housekeeping and no awards coming our way
- Makeup and choking at the big league level
- Converting closers to starters is harder in the real world than in Strat-o-Matic
- Predicting the Derek Jeter outcome, and what his value would be if he wasn't “Derek Jeter”
- When can you call a prospect a bust?
- How video games can improve plate discipline
- Up and In: How the sausage is made
33:44 Is any player worthy of a ten-year deal?
40:44 Discussing potential landing spots for the nine most interesting free agents
- Lee, Crawford, Konerko, Werth, Beltre, Soriano, Pavano, Dunn, Ramirez
1:10:58 Special Guest Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated and MLB Network
- What the free agent situation will look like by the time we get to Orlando
- Update on Cliff Lee
- Potential desperation free agents
- How and why the Derek Jeter negotiations got weird
- The influence of Twitter and websites on the business of the rumor mill
- Why do teams talk?
- Guarding from sources with an agenda
- Potential surprises on tap for next week
1:28:59 Special Guest Robert Ford of the Royals pre/post-game host on jobs at the Winter Meetings
- The ultimate DIY path into broadcasting
- From Yakima to Kansas City . . .
- Inside the job fair
- Tips for job seekers
1:46:28 Not Jim Tracy on the Winter Meetings manager's press conferences
1:48:39 Musical Guest: Shellshag
1:50:36 What Are You Drinking?
1:52:27 Cropsey and our own urban legends
2:13:10 Mental states and getting ready for Orlando
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.Subscribe now