Not much going on in the baseball world, but that doesn't mean we can't talk for two hours anyway. In this episode, we delve deeper into our mailbag for talking points before discussing the American League Gold Glove awards (and the reaction) and the recently posted Top 11 Prospects lists for the Pirates and Mariners. Then minor league veteran Scot Drucker becomes the first professional baseball player to guest on the podcast, joining us from Santo Domingo to discuss playing winter ball and being a minor league free agent. Yet another new Not Manager makes his debut with Not Clint Hurdle, we make a couple of book recommendations, and then we say goodbye for the week.As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 25: "Evidenced By Extended Rambling"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro, agenda review
3:32 Housekeeping: Email Us! Follow us on Twitter! Join our Facebook group! Nominate us for an award!
- A guy from Chicago doesn't like us
- How scouts get those great seats
- Laptops and iPads in the dugout
- Scouting high schoolers vs. college players
- Talent in the Frontier League
- Shifting the misery
- Why I don't like The Beatles
- Let's talk about Mark Trumbo!
- Email theory of the day as the way lefty swings are prettier
- Help us define the agenda
36:29 The American League Gold Glove Awards and rising above
45:50 Discussing the Pirates and Mariners Top 11 Prospect lists
- Going in-depth on Luis Heredia and Dustin Ackley
1:07:28 The Process of Top 11s: Analysis vs. Amalgamation
1:19:41 Special Guest: Winter League Special with Free Agent RHP Scot Drucker (@utbaseball30)
- Getting a gig with the Tigres de Licey
- Basic mechanics: Flights, cars, hotels and food
- Some of the interesting names you run into down in the DR
- A roster that changes every day
- Being a free agent and cell phones
- Non-baseball business ventures
- Avoiding a real job
1:39:20 Not Clint Hurdle on the managerial job search
1:40:55 Music Guest: Sirs (and how you can help with the show's music)
1:45:32 What Are You Drinking?
1:54:18 Pop Culture Moment: The Up and In Book Club
- Jason's recommendation: The Mezzanine, by Nicholson Baker
- Kevin's recommendation: The Last Rock Star Book: Or Liz Phair, a Rant by Camden Joy
2:03:21 Mental states and what we are working on
Music is by Sirs.