Special guest David Forst, the Assistant General Manager of the Oakland Athletics visits us to talk about the mechanics of a deadline deal, how the A's are trying to help Latin American players acclimate better to professional baseball, as well as his unique career path into the game. Of course, we also ask him why he would lower his standards to join our little show, as well as what he is drinking. Plus, Arcade Fire ruining music, Not John Russell on the young Pirates, why people hate A-Rod and much, much more. As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 11: "He Looks Like A Flygirl"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro and Agenda Review
3:09 Housekeeping: Email us!
3:50 Fan Mail: Hating Kevin's HOF ideas, more Hagler talk, NYC Pizza, UK-based integrity questions
13:47 We got recipes (Cooking with The Professor)
24:50 Ozzie Guillen's comments: The struggles of foreign players, and even some Americans as well
32:20 Alex Rodriguez: Why do people hate him, why do people love Jeter?
41:37 The Krum, Texas effect
43:51 Special Guest: Oakland Athletics Assistant GM David Forst
- Why the hell is he willing to come on our silly little show?
- The A's weekend of inactivity
- The process for picking prospects when you are selling a veteran
- The etiquette of calling teams and asking for players
- Getting along with some teams more than others
- Asking for the world and being realistic with what you ask for
- How teams decide if they are buyers or sellers at the deadline
- Ozzie Guillen's comments and what the A's have instituted to assist Latin American players
- The new Arizona immigration laws and how they affect the A's
- David's career path (A Harvard degree, two years of indy ball and disappointing his parents)
- A standard day at work
- David Forst: What are you drinking?
78:28 Not John Russell on the young Pirates
79:47 Why we're surprised David joined us
80:50 What we are drinking and a brief Artie Lange discussion
86:01 Pop Culture Moment: Arcade Fire, the wussification of modern music, the ease of creation
96:40 How to say luddite and other tales of mispronounciation
97:51 Jason opens up about his troubles
100:20 A quick talk about the draft signing deadline
104:59 The Carlos Santana injury and Dominican catchers
Music is by Orangutang, from the EP The Rewards Of Cruelty, Copyright 1993 Imago Records.