Trying to figure out the Dan Haren trade? Check. Going through the standings to figure out who's for real? Check. Jay Jaffe throwing out some big time knowledge on the Hall of Fame while mocking my ideas about it? Check. Marvelous Marvin Hagler? Check. Not Jim Tracy temporarily replaced by Not Jim Leyland? Check. All with a J-Pop soundtrack? You got it as we reach double digits on the episode count. As always, we hope you enjoy.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 10: "With Awesome Fedora"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Intro and Agenda Review
1:47 Housekeeping: Email us!
2:20 Fan Mail: Gatorade snobbery; more Mike Trout talk; more DeGrassi talk
11:52 An impromptu discussion of the Spokane Indians and the age/level continuum
25:23 My trip to Dallas and a change of attitude with the Rangers
30:00 The Angels make their move in the West by getting Dan Haren
33:14 The standings exercise; where we are, where we will be; and teams that should realize they're done
42:00 Hanging out in the Dallas Airport, smoking and uniquely Texas experiences
46:13 Special Guest Jay Jaffe on the Hall of Fame
- Changes to what used to be the Veteran's Committee and what they mean
- Players affected by the changes
- The JAWS system and what it tells us
- Dave Concepcion, Omar Vizquel and Venezuelan shortstops
- Extra credit for playoffs, awards, etc.
- The Fame Quotient and statistics-minded people co-opting the Hall of Fame
- The case for and against Bert Blyleven (ok, I'm the only one against)
- Turning the Hall of Fame into a museum of oddities
- What is the definition of fairness when it comes to evaluating candidates?
- Peaks of Fame: Dwight Gooden and Mark Fidrych
- Revisiting George Steinbrenner
- Using JAWS, what players should be in the HOF that aren't (bonus Bobby Grich tangent)
- Mark McGwire and baseball's complicity in the issues attached to his candidacy
- Why Michael Jordan's .556 OPS at Double-A was a remarkable athletic achievement
81:08 Not Jim LEYLAND on the Tigers chance in the American League Central
83:21 Bad-Ass Corner: Marvelous Marvin Hagler and the Von Erichs
92:38 What Are You Drinking? (everyone's favorite segment)
96:50: Pop Culture: Inception and historical books on the Supreme Count and Red Army Faction
112:11: Scouting short-season leagues and KG's prospect tidbit of the week
116:15: A brief return to fashion (I can kick a suit very well)
Music is from the Katamari Damacy soundtrack copyright 2004- Namco of Japan.