We come back from a short delay due to Jason's move with nearly 140 minutes of . . . well, something. Steven Goldman tells a series of highly entertaining Yankee stories as we try to figure out George Steinbrenner's legacy, Jason and I catch up on some recent trades, and we switch to low-brow during Pop Culture Moment with a discussion of television and video games. Plus, Not Jim Tracy (of course), recipe corner and a request for you to tell us what to cook this week.
Note: We do alert you to the presence of the occasional adult language. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Up And In Episode 9: "A Delicious Casserole Of Fun"
Table Of Contents
0:00 Welcome: Jason's move update and the Dominican festival
3:36 Housekeeping: Email us, follow us on Twitter, all that good stuff
3:54 Email #1: Jason defends/rationalizes/refudiates his hipster status and lectures on style
16:02 More emails on beverage talk, Korea, comparing MLS soccer to Mexican Baseball
26:37 Futures Game review: Agreeing on Trout, arguing about Scheppers and Dee Gordon
45:29 A love letter to new Braves lefty Tim Collins
50:00 Special Guest Steven Goldman on the legacy of George Steinbrenner
- The complexity of figuring out how he'll be remembered
- Does he belong in the Hall of Fame – the standards for owners is low
- Are the stories of him being a changed man after the suspension a myth?
- Are teams better off having this kind of person as an owner?
- Holding a fantasy draft in George's office
- The Bobby Meacham story and other abuses of power
- Kevin's one interaction with George during a rainstorm in Tampa
- George's phone etiquette
- Will he even be remembered ten or twenty years from now? (nobody remembers owners)
- Steven's collection of old radio shows (we swear, it's relevant)
- Ten left-fielders, no shortstop, and the Don Mattingly years
92:15 Not Jim Tracy on All-Star week
94:07 Beverage talk, the value of electrolytes, stand-up comedy, Viagra
97:27 Pop Culture Moment #1: An introduction to video games and Jason getting a Playstation 3
103:49 Pop Culture Moment #2: Television — DeGrassi, Top Chef, and the rejection of real food
116:19 A tale of saffron
119:59 Recipe sharing, a tale of okra, being 20 and tan, send us your recipe (email above!)
124:34 A return to baseball as we debate Justin Smoak's ceiling
128:29 Jason scouting the New York-Penn League and a trip to Dallas for Kevin
Music is The Breeders from the album Pod copyright 1990 – 4AD Records.