2. Pirates: Pedro Alvarez – Lots of posturing, but also lots of talks going on behind the scenes. This should still get done.
3. Royals: Eric Hosmer – Ditto Alvarez.
4. Orioles: Brian Matusz – Crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s on a deal. Money figures have been agreed upon.
5. Giants: Buster Posey – Ditto Matusz; big league deal worth north of $7 million.
7. Reds: Yonder Alonso – The two sides seems to be at really severe odds 24 hours ago, but there has been some movement of late, whether or not it turns out to be enough progress in the end is still to be determined. Chances are he’ll still sign, but the chances that he won’t are higher than they should be at this point.
8. White Sox: Gordon Beckham – Signed; $2.6 million bonus.
9. Nationals: Aaron Crow – Just a mess. Nations won’t budge from their slot position, and Crow won’t budge from his well over-slot position. This one is the most dangerous game of chicken left, and it’s looking more and more like it might not happen. It’s no better than 50/50 right now.
11. Rangers: Justin Smoak – Running out of time to wait on Alonso’s deal; will likely still sign.
20. Mariners: Josh Fields – Rumors have been strong for weeks that Fields has agreed to terms, but those rumors are looking to be untrue right now. As a college senior, Fields is not beholden to tomorrow’s signing deadline, and agent Scott Boras might stretch this out a while.
23. Padres: Allan Dykstra – Actually, this one isn’t dead yet, but it’s still on life support as the two sides continue to disagree over the severity of Dykstra’s hip condition. At least they’re talking.
28. Yankees: Gerrit Cole – The New York Times is reporting that the Cole has decided to go to college, more because of a change of heart than any kind of bonus demands. While this seems like it could be posturing, industry rumors have the Yankees believing that he will not sign.