Future Shock Blog
- Nolan Arenado, 3B, Rockies (Double-A Tulsa): 3-for-5, HR (12), 2 R, 2 RBI. Never really surged after entering the year with big expectations; .277/.331/.421 in 129 games.
- Dylan Bundy, RHP, Orioles (Double-A Bowie): 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 6 K. And that's 5 1/3 more innings he can't pitch in the big leagues; still could take on a '08 David Price role come September.
- Byron Buxton, OF, Twins (Rookie-level Elizabethton): 2-for-4, 2 R, BB, 2 SB. No. 2 overall pick enjoying first extended hot streak of career; 15-for-38 (.395) in last ten games and .286/.368/.429 overall.
Clayton Blackburn, RHP, Giants (Low-A Augusta): 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 10 K.
Blackburn is having one of the best pitching seasons in the minors, as after another dominant outing on Monday night, he has a 2.55 ERA with a remarkable 137 strikeouts and just 18 walks in 123.1 innings.
- Stetson Allie, 1B, Pirates (Rookie-level GCL Pirates): 2-for-5, 4 RBI, 2 K. Ex-power pitching prospect has shown plenty of raw power but inability to tap into it. .217/.321/.350 in 40 games with 48 Ks.
- Tyler Austin, OF, Yankees (High-A Tampa): 3-for-4, 2B, R, RBI, 2 SB. Is hitting in Florida State League, but power has yet to show; .329/.394/.459 in 22 games.
- Javier Baez, SS, Cubs (High-A Daytona): 3-for-4, 2B, HR (1), 2 R, 3 RBI. First big Florida State League game after going 3-for-30 in first eight games.
- Bobby Borchering, 3B, Astros (Double-A Corpus Christi): 2-for-3, 2B, 3B, R, 2 RBI, BB. Eight of 13 hits since trade have been for extra bases as he's been moved back to third base; .283/.370/.652 in 15 games.
- Gerrit Cole, RHP, Pirates (Double-A Atloona): 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 9 K. Career-high in strikeouts and seems to be finding a groove; 22 IP, 12 H, 6 BB, 26 K in last four starts.
- Conner Crumbliss, 2B/LF, Athletics (Double-A Midland): 3-for-4, 3 HR (8), 4 R, 7 RBI, BB. Walking machine (103) with the most surprising three home run game in recent memory; .255/.405/.383 in 111 games.
- Keury De La Cruz, OF, Red Sox (Low-A Greenville): 3-for-5, 2 HR (18), 2 R, 7 RBI, K. 20-year-old Dominican has never stopped hitting and is now considered a very real prospect; .316/.362/.553 in 104 games.
- Adam Eaton, OF, Diamondbacks (Triple-A Reno): 3-for-6, 2B. As he continues to hit, more scouts are lining up as seeing him as more than just a future fourth outfielder; .382/.456/.543 in 109 games.
- Maikel Franco, 3B, Phillies (Low-A Lakewood): 2-for-3, 2B, 3B, R, 3 RBI. 19-year-old Dominican had ugly first half but is hitting .317/.381/.492 in 53 games since the All-Star break.
- Scooter Gennett, 2B, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville): 2-for-4, HR (4), R, 2 RBI, K. A remarkable 22-for-46 (.476) in 11 game hitting streak that includes ten multi-hit efforts; .301/.339/.395 in 117 games.
- Jedd Gyorko, 3B/2B, Padres (Triple-A Tucson): 3-for-4, 2B, HR (18), R, 3 RBI, K. First game after missing a week with an ankle injury; .339/.385/.590 in 75 Pacific Coast League games.
- Pierce Johnson, RHP, Cubs (Short-season Boise): 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K. Supplemental first-round pick has command of good three-pitch mix; 7 Ks in first four pro innings.
- D'Arby Myers, OF, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 5-for-5, 2 2B, R, 3 RBI, 2 SB. Athletic outfielder has taken big step forward with bat; .324/.355/.448 at Double-A, but doesn't profile well in corner outfield slot due to lack of power.
- Renato Nunez, 3B, Athletics (Rookie-level AZL Athletics) 3-for-6, R, 2 RBI. 18-year-old Venezuelan was given big bonus for bat and is showing why; .341/.384/.545 in 33 games.
- Joc Pederson, OF, Dodgers (High-A Rancho Cucamonga): 1-for-4, HR (16), 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 K, SB. Hit two home runs in 45 games before the All-Star break, but 14 in 49 games since; .310/.397/.507 overall.
- Wily Peralta, RHP, Brewers (Triple-A Nashville): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 7 K. Frustratingly inconsistent starter has the stuff to start in the big leagues; 4.75 ERA with 128 Ks in 130.2 innings.
- Ronny Rodriguez, SS, Indians (High-A Carolina): 3-for-4, HR (16), R, 3 RBI, K, CS. Once again having a quietly impressive year, although impatience remains a big issue; .267/.305/.448 in 110 games.
- Addison Russell, SS, Athletics (Short-season Vermont): 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2 K, SB. First-round pick's explosive debut made all the more impressive by doing it now in college-heavy setting; .340/.389/.520 in 12 games since promotion.
- Richie Shaffer, 3B, Rays (Short-season Hudson Valley): 3-for-4, HR (3), R, 2 RBI, BB. First-round pick has shown power, patience and hitting ability so far; .308/.393/.500 in first 15 pro games.
- Sebastian Valle, C, Phillies (Triple-A Lehigh Valley): 3-for-4, HR (3), 2 R, 2 RBI, K, CS. Forced to Triple-A after Tommy Joseph acquisition but .289/.300/.579 in 11 games.
- Christian Yelich, OF, Marlins (High-A Jupiter): 2-for-4, R, RBI, BB, 2 K, SB. Fifth multi-hit game in last six as he's thrived after surprising move to leadoff role; .327/.403/.531 in 92 games.
- Mike Zunino, C, Mariners (Double-A Jackson): 3-for-3, 2B, RBI, BB. Third Southern League game for No. 3 overall pick in June.